• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Grow out of what? I've shot 40k pistol rounds down range in practice and competition. When I practice fast shooting with my carry weapons, it isn't playing. When I keep all rounds on target, I'm not playing. I don't mag dump. That is a waste of ammo.

I'm trying to see how to not take this as a personal attack, being basically called immature. Anyone suggesting slow firing when being taught how to fight with a pistol would be laughed out of the class.

I will not respond with any personal attacks back at you. I practice at full speed, because things happen fast. I have a family to protect if thing go sour.

When I'm told that I am firing my rifle too fast, because I am shooting at a Rifleman's cadence of one round every breath, I'm also going to be annoyed. It doesn't seem to matter that all my shots are in a 6" group at 100 yards with iron sights.

Shooting competently and rapidly is not the same as immaturity.

You are correct, sir.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can come to a Appleseed and fire a round every 2 seconds or so, in prone position, accurately too. (I'm still not sure why 2 second delay got me talked to at Atterbury.)

I have told myself that I would not just to conclusions, such as what I see as sarcasm in your quoting of Rifleman's Cadence. For me it is just slightly faster than this, as I combine trigger reset with breathing out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYpbEmomh4 Apparently that was too fast for the RO at Atterbury.

My apologies. I didn't realize that you were a full-blown Appleseed. You should have explained that to the folks at Atterbury. I'm sure that they have special rules and private lanes for Appleseeds.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My apologies. I didn't realize that you were a full-blown Appleseed. You should have explained that to the folks at Atterbury. I'm sure that they have special rules and private lanes for Appleseeds.

What exactly got the burr up your backside?

I was firing within the published rules of the range and was still reprimanded. It was most likely because of 4 rounds that I shot faster than what they liked on the pistol side of things, before I was corrected and followed the rules for the rest of my time there.

You post as if I expect for Atterbury to accept my type of shooting, I do not. Atterbury is not compatible with some of my modes of shooting, so I don't go. I don't shoot from sand bags, because it is really hard to take a rifle table with me hunting. Luckily there is a little wiggle room next to the tables to lay down a shooting mat.

If you try to not be condescending to everyone you interact with on the board, you will make more friends. OP asked for likes and dislikes of Atterbury. I have given mine. Have a good day, if your disposition allows for it.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    All I was saying was that I had a pretty ****ty experience there. I saw that more people than just myself wouldn't go back either... I don't understand the reasoning for you being such a jerk-off over the situation. What? I'm not welcome if I don't like some range due to an A-hole that gave me a hard time? Let me guess "If you dont lyke eet, you can GEEET OUT!!"?

Have to admit that the grammar and the words you choose to use don't help you make your case. Despite being annoyed with some of the policies at Atterbury, the ROs there are trying to keep everyone safe. My experience was a little too over protective past what rules they publish, but I'm never going to call any of the ROs at Atterbury A-holes.

I have seen people hit the concrete baffle on a second shot. You know what? It is most likely a fast second shot. So I have no problem with them defining rules of the range.

Your experience and mine sound completely different. I finished up my range time with exaggerated delay (5 seconds or more) between all rifle shots and wasn't bothered again. I chose not to go back, because I can't do all the modes of shooting that I enjoy within the confines of their rules. There is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean that Atterbury isn't a good range. It is one of the best run public ranges I have been to.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I agree with some previous comments: Atterbury is a great place for novice shooters, and families. It is also a superb place to sight in, and fire high powered rifles. It is rather useless as a pistol range, without the ability to at least double tap, or quickly retrieve and change targets, but I'll often take a pistol along and chance lanes to mess around for a few minutes. Atterbury is almost completely useless for tactical training, since 99% of rifle fire is from a bench. I suppose I could stand and fire, but probably not raise from a low ready and fire, and definitely not any moving and shooting.

It is a TARGET range. I too seek more advanced stuff, which we all know is dangerous, especially for idiots, so it is probably good to get professional training, and join a private gun club for the advanced stuff. Like in the Don's Guns thread, we all say we hate being around people who are dangerous with weapons, and you can't block idiots from PUBLIC ranges, like Atterbury. Hence...the one second rule.

Almost any indoor pistol range will allow rapid fire, and have pull targets, so for pistols, again, I really wouldn't recommend Atterbury.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Have to admit that the grammar and the words you choose to use don't help you make your case.

Not sure what grammar and language you're referring to. Care to clarify? And besides, some of you are trying to make it sound like I'm trying my best to convince everyone to hate Atterbury... I couldn't care less where people shoot their guns. It makes not a lick of difference to me. This was a thread asking peoples opinion of Atterbury, and I gave mine. Just because one arse got butthurt that someone doesn't like his favorite range, doesn't mean that I'm changing my opinion. Should have known though, that even an adult forum has a lot of children in it. :n00b:

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    I really like going to shoot down at Atterbury. I'm able to shoot enough to justify paying for a conservation club and Atterbury has everything I need at easily the best rate. The range is always clean, the rules are easy to follow if it fits your shooting style as previously mentioned, and I can usually pick up some extra brass to reload.
    Another part I like that has gone unmentioned is the trap/skeet range. They have a couple ranges just past the rifle and pistol ranges that are very nice, affordable, and usually not very crowded. Overally, its my choice of ranges until I find some land near Indy that someone will let me shoot on.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I really like going to shoot down at Atterbury. I'm able to shoot enough to justify paying for a conservation club and Atterbury has everything I need at easily the best rate. The range is always clean, the rules are easy to follow if it fits your shooting style as previously mentioned, and I can usually pick up some extra brass to reload.
    Another part I like that has gone unmentioned is the trap/skeet range. They have a couple ranges just past the rifle and pistol ranges that are very nice, affordable, and usually not very crowded. Overally, its my choice of ranges until I find some land near Indy that someone will let me shoot on.

There ya go! :yesway:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Was planning on going down there soon. Heard something about cameras, license plates and pics of people that make me uncomfortable. Anybody heard anything or am i being paranoid?

Bob

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I was down there today and didn't see anything like that. It was a beautiful day for shooting!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Was planning on going down there soon. Heard something about cameras, license plates and pics of people that make me uncomfortable. Anybody heard anything or am i being paranoid?

Bob

Nothing about license plates, but they do take your picture (front and profile), fingerprint you, take a DNA sample, and make a copy of your shot record.

No. Just joshing. You do leave your driver's license at the desk when you sign in (mainly to make sure that you pay before you leave), and I have seen DNR officers checking LTCHs a couple of times (although that's rare).

Top Bottom