• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Atterbury range is a very nice facility, professionally operated by a friendly and helpful staff. (Of course, if you object to playing by rules, as some people do ^, you might want to think twice! :rolleyes: )

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Was there a couple months ago. First time at a real range. So I wasn't sure what all to expect. I read all the rules before hand though. But was surprised to only see one attendant walking up and down. For as large as it is, I would think they would have a few guys. Maybe it was just that day?

But as soon as I show up, they called a cease-fire. Everybody stepped back, and the range worker guy was checking a rifle. He pulls it up, aims and shoots the weapon. Nobody else seemed to be paying attention to his actions. And when they heard the shot, EVERYBODY turned around.

He then called for the owner of the gun, and asked why it wasn't unloaded. His answer was that it was jammed. "Did it fire?" "Yes, I just shot it!"

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    It took a long time for Atterbury to find a quality operator to run/manage the facility. Now they seem to have one and it's good for all. They have rules and they enforce them at least as much as any other facility I've visited. I find that to be a very good thing. As for one round a second....that's all you should be shooting in a defensive situation anyway. Firing as fast as you can is for kids and Clint Eastwood movies. I don't want either at the range annoying me. Even with the rules, they still get a lot of losers there. If you can ignore them, it's a very nice facility (especially compared to what it used to be....I grew up 7 miles away.) These days, public ranges anywhere are just too irritating for me. I have land in Putnam County where I can shoot whatever I want, all by myself. It's 90 minutes each way but well-worth the drive.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It took a long time for Atterbury to find a quality operator to run/manage the facility. Now they seem to have one and it's good for all. They have rules and they enforce them at least as much as any other facility I've visited. I find that to be a very good thing. As for one round a second....that's all you should be shooting in a defensive situation anyway. Firing as fast as you can is for kids and Clint Eastwood movies. I don't want either at the range annoying me. Even with the rules, they still get a lot of losers there. If you can ignore them, it's a very nice facility (especially compared to what it used to be....I grew up 7 miles away.) These days, public ranges anywhere are just too irritating for me. I have land in Putnam County where I can shoot whatever I want, all by myself. It's 90 minutes each way but well-worth the drive.

Sorry, but at 7 yards, I'm gonna put 2-3 rounds in someone in a second. Then I'm going to assess. I will fire as fast as I can reliably get hits on target. I have been in a situation where I almost had to do that. It was 5 on 1. If they decided to pursue the assault after I drew and I had to count to 1 before each shot, I probably would not have made it out of that situation.

I fire as fast as I can keep shots in a 6" group at distance. Why? Because pushing to failure is the only way that you can identify your weaknesses and address them. If I'm shooting one round a second with ease into 3" at 10 yards, then I'm not improving. Self defense isn't a bulleye competition.

None of my comments are saying that Atterbury is a bad range. It is probably one of the best ranges in the area for certain types of shooting. It just lacks many things for more advanced shooters.

BTW Jake, love that sig line. Exactly how I feel.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    None of my comments are saying that Atterbury is a bad range. It is probably one of the best ranges in the area for certain types of shooting. It just lacks many things for more advanced shooters.

BTW Jake, love that sig line. Exactly how I feel.

Advanced or, perhaps, just young and full of kid. Great thing about that condition is we all have the chance to grow out of it. For those who want to practice those skills they may realistically need some day, it's a good place. For those wanting to play, there are probably better places. Different strokes.....

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i dnt go all rambo, but i do enjoy a good mag dump evry once in a while.. is ther something wrong with me for that???? i dnt c a problem with that, its actually very theraputic if u ask me. thats some of the reason i like to shoot, to get some tension out.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Advanced or, perhaps, just young and full of kid. Great thing about that condition is we all have the chance to grow out of it. For those who want to practice those skills they may realistically need some day, it's a good place. For those wanting to play, there are probably better places. Different strokes.....

Outstanding!!!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    i do enjoy a good mag dump evry once in a while.. is ther something wrong with me for that ... its actually very theraputic if u ask me ... get some tension out.

I think that we all enjoy taking a good dump, from time to time. And it certainly can be therapeutic , especially after a high colonic. Atterbury does have rules, however, and if you can't see your way clear to live within them maybe you should go take a dump somewhere else. :D

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would steer clear of Camp Auschwitzbury... Unless you've got a leaf camo shotgun thats 65ft long, with a scope mount, and take between 34-50 minutes between each shot. If you lack these things there's a good chance you'll be threatened with fines, heckled, watched, and/or criticized.

In my opinion, Camp Auschwitzbury is a no go!

We don't miss you being there.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Atterbury Shooting Complex is the only range around here that I feel reasonably safe in taking my grandsons and granddaughters shooting. We head down with 500 rounds of .22 LR and have a great afternoon. I like the brutally to the point RO's. I like the structure. I love the fact they have real bathrooms for the ladies, and I am glad they sell stuff I need.

It's a good place to shoot.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    We don't miss you being there.

I really couldn't care less if you did. I went there to fire my rifles, and got hassled by a banty rooster man that was more concerned with discriminating against me than watching over the range. It only takes one bad experience to turn someone away for good. And besides... it's too far to drive from central Indy anyway. So you can have it. Would you like some Fascism with your tea, sir? lol

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I would agree with a previous post more than anything else, all my joking commentary aside, Atterbury is probably a good choice for novice shooters, and certain other kinds of shooters. But does lack alot for advanced shooters who want more excitement in their weekend shooting.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Grow out of what? I've shot 40k pistol rounds down range in practice and competition. When I practice fast shooting with my carry weapons, it isn't playing. When I keep all rounds on target, I'm not playing. I don't mag dump. That is a waste of ammo.

I'm trying to see how to not take this as a personal attack, being basically called immature. Anyone suggesting slow firing when being taught how to fight with a pistol would be laughed out of the class.

I will not respond with any personal attacks back at you. I practice at full speed, because things happen fast. I have a family to protect if thing go sour.

When I'm told that I am firing my rifle too fast, because I am shooting at a Rifleman's cadence of one round every breath, I'm also going to be annoyed. It doesn't seem to matter that all my shots are in a 6" group at 100 yards with iron sights.

Shooting competently and rapidly is not the same as immaturity.

Last edited:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Grow out of what? I've shot 40k pistol rounds down range in practice and competition. When I practice fast shooting with my carry weapons, it isn't playing. When I keep all rounds on target, I'm not playing. I don't mag dump. That is a waste of ammo.

I'm trying to see how to not take this as a personal attack, being basically called immature. Anyone suggesting slow firing when being taught how to fight with a pistol would be laughed out of the class.

I will not respond with any personal attacks back at you. I practice at full speed, because things happen fast. I have a family to protect if thing go sour.

When I'm told that I am firing my rifle too fast, because I am shooting at a Rifleman's cadence of one round every breath, I'm also going to be annoyed. It doesn't seem to matter that all my shots are in a 6" group at 100 yards with iron sights.

Shooting competently and rapidly is not the same as immaturity.

Joe - it doesn't sound like Camp Atterbury would be a good place for you to shoot. I'm sure there are other places at which you would fit in better. It seems that both you and those who frequent Atterbury would be better off if you seek one of them.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Joe - it doesn't sound like Camp Atterbury would be a good place for you to shoot. I'm sure there are other places at which you would fit in better. It seems that both you and those who frequent Atterbury would be better off if you seek one of them.

The is exactly what I was saying in previous posts, before you chose to jump to conclusions on my competency and maturity. I have found a place that works great for me, Martinsville Conservation Club.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The is exactly what I was saying in previous posts, before you chose to jump to conclusions on my competency and maturity. I have found a place that works great for me, Martinsville Conservation Club.

Have fun, and enjoy that "rifleman's cadence".

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Have fun, and enjoy that "rifleman's cadence".

You can come to a Appleseed and fire a round every 2 seconds or so, in prone position, accurately too. (I'm still not sure why 2 second delay got me talked to at Atterbury.)

I have told myself that I would not just to conclusions, such as what I see as sarcasm in your quoting of Rifleman's Cadence. For me it is just slightly faster than this, as I combine trigger reset with breathing out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYpbEmomh4 Apparently that was too fast for the RO at Atterbury.

Last edited:

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Oh, that experience. Yeah, I'm sure we all remember what that was all about! No doubt you were emotionally scarred for life by that mean old RSO picking on you.

Man... I really thought that this forum was more mature than you. Guess there are A-listers everywhere. Gotta learn to deal with them...

All I was saying was that I had a pretty ****ty experience there. I saw that more people than just myself wouldn't go back either... I don't understand the reasoning for you being such a jerk-off over the situation. What? I'm not welcome if I don't like some range due to an A-hole that gave me a hard time? Let me guess "If you dont lyke eet, you can GEEET OUT!!"?

Top Bottom