• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, picked up my VZ yesterday and shot it today.

Love the machine work, and the weight. I've forgotten how light a VZ58/08 was. Finish was nice, kind of sucks it's not VZ58 gray but the light black looks good. The beaver barf furniture I wish was redder but still looks good. Machine work looks very nice, and overall impressed with the rifle. The mags looked great, same with the pouch, but my pig sticker was a little dinged up (like it matters)

Forearm had some tape on it, removed the sticky gunky and I can see these two circles, I guess from the injection mold

And for the machine work (I didn't take these with my camera, it has an auto correct brightness feature which is a real PITA most the time)

So simple

So I really like the rifle and don't regret having a VZ, actually makes me really want to build one as a SBR.

But for the bad about this rifle.....

I noticed out of the box the front sight was canted, checked it with levels and still showed canted but figured it couldn't be that bad. Tried to sight it in today and maxed out all of the adjustment for the front sight, the elevation was way off too but was able to fix that. With the sight all the way to the right, I'm still shooting 6" right at 30 yards.

First shot went boom, but the trigger had an issue resetting. Flicked the safety on, then off, then heard it reset. About round number 30 the trigger had 4 shots where the trigger wouldn't rebound and had to do it manually. But, no failure to feeds or extracts for the 60 rounds I put through it.

Forearm doesn't heat up so much it hurts, but it's warm. However, the metal bracket for the under side of the forearm, yeah, heats up like a mothafu**** and burnt myself a couple times at the end, front sight got pretty damn hot too.

Damn commie rifles

But, recoil was about that of my AKs (I felt) and the cheek weld on the stock was okay, might make a cheek piece though.

My face did get splattered with lube when shooting though, and I didn't apply that much Slip2000 EWL in there.

So overall...love the rifle, the design, the machine work, and the look. But this rifle is going back to Century for the sight post being off. Just waiting on them to get back to me

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    So overall...love the rifle, the design, the machine work, and the look. But this rifle is going back to Century for the sight post being off. Just waiting on them to get back to me

Thanks for all the pictures! Now I'm getting overly excited about mine...which will most likely be another few weeks before delivery. If mine comes looking as good as yours, I may end up getting two.

That is such a PAIN to have so much be great on the rifle and still have to send it back due to canted sights. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

And yes to SBR-ing one. If it's as lightweight and functions as well as everyone says, that seems like a good SBR to start with.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks for all the pictures! Now I'm getting overly excited about mine...which will most likely be another few weeks before delivery. If mine comes looking as good as yours, I may end up getting two.

That is such a PAIN to have so much be great on the rifle and still have to send it back due to canted sights. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

And yes to SBR-ing one. If it's as lightweight and functions as well as everyone says, that seems like a good SBR to start with.

It happens, when I got my first AK, a M+M M10, I actually picked out the third rifle I looked at. First post was canted (M+M was actually surprised about that, and it was O-F-F) and so was the second, not bad but still. Then the third I looked at (the one M+M shipped back to replace the first) was dead on.

This will actually be the first Century warranty claim I've had to use, I hope it goes well and quick too. Due to the finish and the machining I'd love to keep the existing rifle and just get a new barrel. Maybe I can talk them out of a couple extra mags for the inconvenience :) (a person can hope can't they?)

If I haven't given the spoken "I'll take it" to a couple friends' guns I'll get in about 3 weeks and having 1 on order, I probably would get a second, it's a cool rifle.

One thing I forgot, my stock is extremely stiff folding in or out. Locks up great but stiff, even after some grease and lube. Should work in, but stiff.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really hope Century takes care of the sight, hopefully its still under warranty. My experience dealing with them for warranty work has not went well in the past though. If they tell you to pound sand though, that sight should be fairly easy to straighten. Is it pinned on like an AK?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But for the bad about this rifle.....

I noticed out of the box the front sight was canted, checked it with levels and still showed canted but figured it couldn't be that bad. Tried to sight it in today and maxed out all of the adjustment for the front sight, the elevation was way off too but was able to fix that. With the sight all the way to the right, I'm still shooting 6" right at 30 yards.

First shot went boom, but the trigger had an issue resetting. Flicked the safety on, then off, then heard it reset. About round number 30 the trigger had 4 shots where the trigger wouldn't rebound and had to do it manually. But, no failure to feeds or extracts for the 60 rounds I put through it.

Forearm doesn't heat up so much it hurts, but it's warm. However, the metal bracket for the under side of the forearm, yeah, heats up like a mothafu**** and burnt myself a couple times at the end, front sight got pretty damn hot too.

Damn commie rifles

But, recoil was about that of my AKs (I felt) and the cheek weld on the stock was okay, might make a cheek piece though.

My face did get splattered with lube when shooting though, and I didn't apply that much Slip2000 EWL in there.

I didn't get a chance to shoot mine this past weekend (too many other people camping nearby) so I don't know for sure about my front sight. It doesn't appear to be canted just by eyeballing it, but I will find out when I get it to the range. The front sight is pinned, so like traderator said, it shouldn't be hard to fix if Century doesn't take care of it for you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wrapped my stock with paracord last night. Tried to get fancy with a "cobra knot" or some such, but got frustrated when I kept screwing it up so I just did a regular wrap. :): It's definitely more comfortable than the bare metal, but I will reserve judgement until after I get the chance to shoot with it. Still think I'm going to go with a fixed stock, but I'll give this a chance before I make a decision.

Really anxious to see how the front sight does. I'm saving the box the rifle came in until I see if I need to send it back or not. Hopefully it will be okay!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got to shoot it today! Love the rifle, but hate the stock. Even with the paracord wrapping, it still bites the back of my jaw if I try and get a good cheek weld. Only put 3 mags through it but it was flawless. Shoots just a tad to the right, but I didn't bother trying to adjust the front sight since I'm going to be changing out the stock. It didn't shoot so far to the right that I think the sight is canted or anything, so I was pleased with that. Time to hit ebay and look for that stock! :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Good to hear. I'm still waiting on the call tag for mine after Century said they'd send me on one last Friday.

How bad did your forearm heat up after 3 mags? I burnt the **** out of myself when my hand slid up and touched the fixtures

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It got fairly warm, but I didn't shoot them in rapid succession. I'd imagine if I had it would have been pretty hot. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying the fixed stock with hardware that I saw on ebay last week. Of course now that I am sure I want one I can't find any, at least not for the price I could have gotten one for (50 bucks). :( Story of my life! :):

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Is the stock that comes with the gun comparable to an AK underfolder (cheek weld, comfort, etc.)? I have a Yugo underfolder and while it's definitely not as nice as a fixed stock, I don't think it's that bad.

Picking my VZ up today (Hooray!!!), too bad I can't shoot it until next week (Boooo).

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I think sidefolder on the VZ is a little more comfortable than my underfolder. But they both definitely aren't a fixed stock.

Getting the VZ is probably going to make me sell my underfolder, but at the same time I wouldn't mind getting a fixed stock for the VZ, then I'm in the predicament of not having a rifle with a folding stock if I'd do that :(

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Getting the VZ is probably going to make me sell my underfolder, but at the same time I wouldn't mind getting a fixed stock for the VZ, then I'm in the predicament of not having a rifle with a folding stock if I'd do that :(

My thoughts exactly. My Yugo underfolder is a TANK (which I love) but if the VZ works out as well as I hope, my only reason to keep both would be to SBR the VZ and still have a full sized underfolder.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    The CZ folder is similar to the AK underfolder in that it's a fairly small metal bar that's not really designed for a cheekweld, but it's better in that its centered rather than offset. Also much more compact.

I like it better than the AK underfolder, but neither will be "good". It's a trade-off of comfort for compactness, and less of an issue for the parts of the world that don't care about cheekweld. The AK was designed, afterall, to be a sorta volley-fire weapon to be used by conscripted, barely-trained peasant-soldiers. Modern "operators" weren't part of the design consideration...

Top Bottom