• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Greetings all!

I still semi new to the shooting arena. My current 'long range' rifle is a Savage 10-fcp-k with a Nikon Monarch 3 8-24x50 scope and a standard bipod.

Out of my hand guns, shotgun and ar15, I have really taken a liking to distance shooting with my bolt act rifle. Right now I have mainly been shooting at 100/200 yd and am getting pretty decent.

Anyway, I would like to take my distance shooting to the next level. Most forums I have read, made it sound like the next level would be mostly custom building a rifle.

So:

1. To go 500-1000 yds, do I for sure need a different rifle? I have read reviews on my Savage 10 (.308) where people were accurate up to 1000 yds with it.

2. Is it really better to custom build versus buy a stock rifle?

3. Can you make recommendations on going about buying a custom rifle? Would it be buying a stock rifle and upgrading individual parts out of it or buying each part separate? Let us say price range $1000-3000 (excluding glass).

4. Thoughts on my glass for distances mentioned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Greetings all!

I still semi new to the shooting arena. My current 'long range' rifle is a Savage 10-fcp-k with a Nikon Monarch 3 8-24x50 scope and a standard bipod.

Out of my hand guns, shotgun and ar15, I have really taken a liking to distance shooting with my bolt act rifle. Right now I have mainly been shooting at 100/200 yd and am getting pretty decent.

Anyway, I would like to take my distance shooting to the next level. Most forums I have read, made it sound like the next level would be mostly custom building a rifle.

So:

1. To go 500-1000 yds, do I for sure need a different rifle? I have read reviews on my Savage 10 (.308) where people were accurate up to 1000 yds with it.

2. Is it really better to custom build versus buy a stock rifle?

3. Can you make recommendations on going about buying a custom rifle? Would it be buying a stock rifle and upgrading individual parts out of it or buying each part separate? Let us say price range $1000-3000 (excluding glass).

4. Thoughts on my glass for distances mentioned.

The next step in long range shooting is not a custom rifle, its putting your belly in the dirt and sending some rounds down range. Your rifle is more than up to the task.

Your scope is not up to the task. Your scope (assuming you ment 6-24 not 8-24) only has 30moa of internal travel. Unless you really want to cant the scope and zero at 500ish yds you will not reach 1000 yds with that scope.

Custom rifles are without a doubt better than factory rifles. I would say less than 1/2 the custom rifle owners out there can out shoot the factory rifle they started the build with (hints the practice)

You can definitely build a custom rig for 3000 dollars, or you can buy one used for that amount. My recommendation to you would be to take your existing rifle out to 1000 yds, and see if you even like it. If you do, and you feel the rifle is whats holding you back start the parts selection.

Thought on glass for the distance. You can spend anywhere from 400-4000 on glass that will shoot that range. Do you want to bang steel, or shoot groups? How much do you intend to spend on glass? a 400 dollar scope will have the travel to get you there, but a 2000 dollar scope will look a lot better, give more info, and have more features that make it easier when you do get there. Internal travel is probably your biggest hurtle right now.

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I forgot to mention I got the BDC model.

That being said, do you still think it is NOT up to the task? It is the 8-24x (not 6-24).

If you don't mind, please provide more information on what I need as far as glass. We will say price range <$1500.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Bed your action. Do a trigger job, and shoot. Then with those savages you can get a rock creek barrel that you can just spin on and get back to work. If you want to spend the money, it will shoot better, but do you want a fancy gun or to put lead down range. If you have the funds by all means do it up. If its tight, spend the $ on ammo. FN, Sako, AI make some real nice out of the box shooters. That gets you from a range of $1200-7k. At 3k you can have a hell of a rifle put together as well. It's really all about what fits you well, and how much you want to spend. Your savage will work. An AI with a S&B scope will work better. A custom action screwed on to top notch components by a fine smith will shoot even better. What fits your finances, and your needs/wants? That is the real question.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I forgot to mention I got the BDC model.

That being said, do you still think it is NOT up to the task? It is the 8-24x (not 6-24).

If you don't mind, please provide more information on what I need as far as glass. We will say price range <$1500.

I still think its not up to the task. For a 308 at 1000 yds from a 200 yd zero you have in the ballpark of 32 moa of drop. That means if your aiming at 1000 yds you will have to aim 320 inches high. I dont think you will want to hold for range. Shoot me a link to your specific scope. I dont recall Nikon Monarch ever making a 8-24, but I could be wrong. Google cant find it either.

In the south of 1500 dollar price range your best bet is the SS 5-20. It has plenty of glass quality, plenty of travel, and a decent company backing it up.

Feel free to call me to talk about what all it takes in a scope to reach 1000 yds

765-580-0986

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For the SS scope, are you referencing one like this? SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

That would be her. The only down side to that scope is if your a MOA shooter they do not have a MOA option. The nice thing about it is you can buy a good scope for your savage, and if you decide to upgrade rifles just swap it over and your GTG.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like irons out to 1000 yards. I do like a lense in the front sight too. Please forgive me 42769Vette. I don't mean to cut into your business.

There is more than one way to get the job done.......

I am pretty sure I won't change anyone's mind with this post however.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like irons out to 1000 yards. I do like a lense in the front sight too. Please forgive me 42769Vette. I don't mean to cut into your business.

There is more than one way to get the job done.......

Your not cutting into my business, I'm recommending a scope I cant even get so I'm not making a dime on this. I'm not at all saying shooting 1000 is impossible with Irons, but its a hell of a lot easier and more precise with a scope.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your not cutting into my business, I'm recommending a scope I cant even get so I'm not making a dime on this. I'm not at all saying shooting 1000 is impossible with Irons, but its a hell of a lot easier and more precise with a scope.

Amazing how many people think this is true. I know I won't convince anybody with this little post. But I will gladly shoot against a scoped rifle at 1000 yards on a B27 target with irons against anyone wth a scoped rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    [/U][/B]

Amazing how many people think this is true. I know I won't convince anybody with this little post. But I will gladly shoot against a scoped rifle at 1000 yards on a B27 target with irons against anyone wth a scoped rifle.

Then why is the 10 rings smaller in Fclass than it is in highpower? Once you learn to use a sling (Something I definitely have not mastered) the Bipod/front rest doesn't make that much of a difference.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Then why is the 10 rings smaller in Fclass than it is in highpower? Once you learn to use a sling (Something I definitely have not mastered) the Bipod/front rest doesn't make that much of a difference.

:D you been challenged.....

BTW, center of the target is center of the target. No matter what the sighting system is.

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Yes. It is easy to see a 1000 yard target.It looks the same as a 200 yard target. Or a 300 yard target. Or almost the same as a 600 yard target.

So I assume a typical 1000yd target is physically larger in size than a 200 yd target?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    :D you been challenged.....

BTW, center of the target is center of the target. No matter what the sighting system is.

The center of the target is the center of the target correct, but I can aim at the exact center instid of around the center. Im going to assume your measurement are correct because I dont know, but a 44 inch black is not exactly precision.

I assume you will be entering these 1000 yd shoots using Irons?
    Hillside Shooting Sports - Matches and Events

Top Bottom