• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No I won't shoot at Hillside. They shoot on unrealistic targets that can only be seen with a high magnification scope. I will spot for a friend who likes to do it but I won't shoot it.

NRA highpower gives everyone a chance to do well unlike these made up fabricated matches that are popping up created by folks who don't understand reality.

I also aim for the exact center on the NRA longrange target. I can call my shots precisely also.

Gary is a great shot and my hero. F-Class results are generally ignored by most long range compettiors. Those guys have their own awards. F-Class was created in the hope of getting more people involved in long range.

F-Class was the brainchild of the late George Farquharson of Kamloops, British Columbia. The rules are that any rifle may be used, any sight, any rest, and any non-magnum cartridge. The idea was to promote precision target shooting and cartridge experimentation, while also offering a class of competition for those physically less fortunate. (Precision Shooting 1/96)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    No I won't shoot at Hillside. They shoot on unrealistic targets that can only be seen with a high magnification scope.

I think you just made my point for me sir. Irons vs scopes are completely different games and both have their validity.

The game the op is talking about is scopes.

Id love to share a line with you soon, but It will be in your game. Ive been shooting appleseeds, and practicing appleseed style shooting in hopes that I dont make a complete ___ of myself my first Highpower event. I aspire to do what shooters like you, gary, etc do, but i'm not there yet. Optics and a bipod is much easier to be successful at.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Here is a picture of a National champion 1000 yard target. She would not have done any better with a scoped rifle...

Nancy Tompkins. you might consider buying her book.

I took her husbands long range class... they have daughters that are also National Champs.

2bo1zd.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    IMG_2425_zps8bb040f0.jpg

Remington 700 Tactical 16.5" 308, Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist, Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 optic, Weaver 20MOA base

Hornady 168gr TAP averaged 2524fps over 10 rounds, and I verified this velocity on a 12" steel target at 900 yards two weekends ago at Rockcastle.

For a shorty 308 shooting 168gr factory ammo, with a guy driving the rifle that had never shot further than 650yd before that day, I was *stunned* at its long range performance.

That being said, the first three shots I took on that 900yd target (my first shots further than 650yd) were with my Savage 10FP in McMillan A5 with Criterion 26" 260 Remington barrel, shooting 140gr Hornady HPBT @ 2810fps with a Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 optic.

I went 3-for-3 with the 260, including a first round hit - 7.2mil from a 100yd zero, vs. 10.8mil for the shorty 308...and the 260 had a full THREE FEET less drift in a 10mph wind than the 308.

OP, if I were you, this is how I would spend your money:

1. 20MOA base
    2. Better optic with appropriate scope rings. Vortex PST 4-16x SFP at a minimum, but there are lots of good options out there. I have previously owned Bushnell Elite Tactical FFPs and they are very good, and the Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR also has good reviews.
    3. Start reloading if you aren't already, and tune the load to your rifle.
    4. SEND BOOLITS DOWNRANGE

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think you just made my point for me sir. Irons vs scopes are completely different games and both have their validity.

The game the op is talking about is scopes.

Id love to share a line with you soon, but It will be in your game. Ive been shooting appleseeds, and practicing appleseed style shooting in hopes that I dont make a complete ___ of myself my first Highpower event. I aspire to do what shooters like you, gary, etc do, but i'm not there yet. Optics and a bipod is much easier to be successful at.

I liked you the first time I met you. But give me something to aim at and I can put it into the center right along with your 24X scope with my iron sights. Just like in the real world.....

Last edited:

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Here is a picture of a National champion 1000 yard target. She would not have done any better with a scoped rifle...

Nancy Tompkins. you might consider buying her book.

I took her husbands long range class... they have daughters that are also National Champs.

2bo1zd.jpg

You don't by chance have the site where this image is from do you? I just wanted to read more about that competition / her. I did some quick Googling and did not come across that specific one.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My best buddy Dave when we were on the Nogales line of the Mexican border doing our best to stop illegals coming across the border. This is the foot path going north...... the railroad tracks are 10 feet north of the border fence.

5mlmpt.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom