• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I currently have a Cherokee, inline 6, with close to a quarter of a million miles on it and it runs like a top. I plan on trying to see how long I can keep it on the road. It would be my choice for my BOV since I have it and it is paid for. I picked it up with 193K on it for 2K 7 years ago. Probably the best auto buy I have ever had, even though some things are falling off of it now.

I6 FTW! the thing doesn't have many ponies but makes up for in reliability. I'm just waiting for mine to go out so I can put a stroker in it. I'm thinking 4.6 liters, that will put me somewhere in the 300 hp range:rockwoot: and for the cost of a stock replacement engine.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    One of the reasons I picked Cherokee was because of the shear numbers that were produced and aftermarket support, the other was relaiability/longevity. I have a '96 with 140k, I think that 1996 had the largest number produced. So there is quite the availability of parts...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I6 FTW! the thing doesn't have many ponies but makes up for in reliability. I'm just waiting for mine to go out so I can put a stroker in it. I'm thinking 4.6 liters, that will put me somewhere in the 300 hp range:rockwoot: and for the cost of a stock replacement engine.
    I would love to see that.

I will have to post a pick of my POS before I paint the door.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Another vote for Jeep here. I've got a 2001 Cherokee that runs like a top. It has a LOT of off road miles as well so I keep it well maintained. It is all stock and it is my daily driver.

I would advise any of you thinking of buying a dedicated BOV, that dreaming about some uber cool Unimog is fun, but its not practical if you just buy it and stick it behind the barn for years until the SHTF.

You need to maintain that vehicle and drive it regularly or at least run it and inspect it carefully, conducting regular PM. If you don't, chances are it won't go when you need it to the most. Just a word of caution.

49CJ3A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I vote for Jeep as well. My daily driver is a 2000 cherokee, parts are easy to come by and its great for all terrain.

However if i can't get out of dodge and I'm forced to stay in the local region then its my '49 CJ3A. She's like a tank and will go absolutely anywhere!

Front.jpg

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008

I don't think you'll get anywhere near 300 hp without a power adder.

for example, Golen, the most popular crate stroker 260 hp:
    Solid Jeep Long Blocks For Off-Road Power!

300 hp is alot out of that I6 without a radical cam / compression.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My jeep should be able to get me anywhere that I "need" to go, plus it has some decent cargo space

IMG_4514.jpg

Those 4 door jeeps are just so awesome looking. I test drove one with my wife and it felt too small for us, but I still love the way they look.

How has it been for you? Any problems?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    It has been nothing but awesome so far. Plenty of room for my camping gear, really capable on and off road, comfortable ride (for a lifted jeep) and the list goes on.

It only has 8,500 miles on it so far. The stock tires kind of sucked for anything other than dry pavement, but that is my only complaint.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Here is mine. It will go where a Jeep fears to tread. I know because I've used it to pull Jeeps out of trouble! And I don't need no stinkin' 4 wheel drive, I've got 2 tracks and can float over snow or sand, can transit through muddy stream beds, it can climb slopes that will roll a wheeled vehicle and is all aluminum so it can be heliported to the top of a mountain if needed.

IMG_0534.jpg

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I may start looking for another 80's toyota 4runner since I didn't buy the one I was looking at. Either that or a land rover disco II. Never liked the jeeps much.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Just picked up my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and said goodbye to one of the most dependable vehicles I've ever owned, 99 Jeep Cherokee 6cyl....it was a workhorse...I bought it with 105k, drove it daily for a little over two years (putting on nearly 95,000 miles), and only had to put on two sets of tires (and new rotors every time I got the brakes done :). In case that sounds far fetched, its true, I run alot of miles for my work and that Cherokee was worth every sent. And so once it hit 200k, I gave it to my dad to drive, as im sure it will run forever at his pace. If only I could of found a cherokee with a moonroof and heated seats, I would of bought the same model to replace it.

Yamaha, I agree with you in spirit, about the Land Rover Discovery. When I was looking for my new vehicle I almost bought a Discovery, mostly because I love the dual moonroofs. However, I got cold feet when I started reading "actual" owner reviews...I read alot of shop queen stories, but what killed the dream was the gas mileage (12~mpg?)..ouch.

I only hope the Overland will do as well, but Im realistic, as the grand cherokees seem to have more problems w/higher mileage. But thanks to the jeep owners being the friendliest auto owners, there are forums for nearly every model with alot of tech/repair discussions. So thats helpful. But as the Overland is bone stock Im torn, whether to deck this one out with all the offroad goodies, or just buy a used cherokee with high miles that is already decked out and ready to offroad? The money is about the same.

Also, to those looking for a roof rack check out the link below. It has some discussion on making your own roof rack for around $100, just need some handyman welding skills. The one's Ive seen look as good as the aftmkt 400-700 dollar JGC racks. Afterall, after you put enough lights, jacks, shovels, axes, etc on them, you can barely see the rack anyway :).

Just an fyi-if there are any out handymen and/or welders out there in need of work, pm me.

ROOF RACK
    Homemade Roof Rack? - Jeep Cherokee Forum
    ROOF TIRE BASKET
    Roof Basket - Jeep Cherokee Forum
    GREAT GUN SECURITY IDEA FOR WRANGLERS
    Expedition Portal Forum...

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    the 4.7 HO is a beast of an engine in the grand just make sure you use premium fuel if you want to get everything out of it power wise, you don't have to but why not? now you just need to throw on some claytons long arms and 33's and you can go anywhere literally.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I always catch shi* for my Jeep Liberty, but I can go anywhere a Jeep can, plus with the hard top I can stack gear on top and on the hitch carrier.

I'd like to get a Cherokee some day as well.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Not to bust yours balls, but no you can't. You don't have the articulation you get from having live axles. Your pivot point for the wheel a foot and half in at tha A arm instead of on the opposite side of the car where the other wheel is. I know this because I did the research before I bought my wrangler cuz I really liked the liberty.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to bust yours balls, but no you can't. You don't have the articulation you get from having live axles. Your pivot point for the wheel a foot and half in at tha A arm instead of on the opposite side of the car where the other wheel is. I know this because I did the research before I bought my wrangler cuz I really liked the liberty.
    I'll one up your ball busting:D... I have been places in a pos tracker/sidekick that left a wrangler high and dry... :rockwoot:they're like mini hummers.

no offence, if they would start selling wranglers w/ diesels, i'd ahve one in a new york minute

Top Bottom