• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah at BSU I remember a student/pizza guy was shot dead just for someone's rent money. Sad stuff.

Here's just one of my BSU stories of the 90's.

Was at 24hr computer lab late night, finishing a project. I left and was riding bike across campus around 5am. I hear what sounds like a 'ping' 'ping', and it gets louder. Going past a student parkling lot I see two guys smashing in car windows with a baseball bat. There are on foot. I am unarmed but decide that on a bike I can out run (ride) them. So I get near and talk some smack at them, hoping it at least makes them stop. They are startled of course and start to approach me. I get ready to bolt. Then a campus police officer runs up from the far side of lot and begins arrest, gun and flashlight drawn. He scared the crap out of me more only since I had not seen him. Anyway, one guy drops the bat and tries to run. The officer pins the kid against a fence and arrests kid. I try to help as kid is struggling with officer. Other kid does not run, just stands there with stolen stuff in hand. Another officer pulls up in car to help. I give statement and go home. Turns out later they were drunk students, broke into car, found a bag of bats in one car, and do $3K of damage.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Here is an email that was sent to me via a friend who attends BSU, He has tried to get special permission to carry from the police department.. (which the BSU hand book says can happen, from the director of security which is the police chief) But this should be reason enough.. Yet they assure him he doesn't need one and to remember the phone numbers to call in case of an emergency. Thoughts?

CAUTION: Student assaulted two blocks east of Kinghorn hall Public Safety Notice Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:35 AM
    In the early morning hours in the 1200 block of W. Marsh Street, a male student was attacked without provocation by two male assailants. One suspect was described as African American, approximately 6 ft tall with a heavy build. Another was described as African American, approximately 6 ft tall with a slender build. No weapon was reported to have been at the scene.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]University Police encourage students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant about practicing good safety habits. Do not walk alone at night. When walking at night, remain aware of your surroundings and avoid distractions such as talking on a cell phone or listening to music. If you see suspicious activity, report it to campus police immediately by calling 765-285-1111.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Charlie’s Charter provides free transportation on a first come, first served basis on university-owned or controlled property. For a ride, call 765-760-RIDE (7433) or 765-285-5005. For more information, visit http://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/ParkingServices/Services/CharliesCharter.aspx.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Public safety notices are sent when students, faculty, and staff would benefit from official information about incidents on or near campus that might lead individuals to be more cautious or aware of their surroundings. These messages, sent via e-mail, call for no specific action and simply raise awareness, remind individuals to practice good safety habits, or mitigate rumors. Visit Ball State University - Emergency Preparedness for more information.[/FONT]

As a current, Ball State student, I can tell you that Marsh street isn't part of campus. Near campus, yes. Part of campus, no. This is probably why the officer didn't give permission to carry on campus.

He might also look to see if there's a chapter of SCC on campus.

Students for Concealed Carry

Not that it will get him what he wants anytime soon, but it's a start.
    No such chapter here in the People's Republic...

In discussing BSU, there may be a slight problem. The Indiana Academy and Burris School are both located on campus. The Academy is a school for gifted high school junior and seniors. Burris is a k-12 school. According to the BSU website, both schools are separate school systems and the BSU Board of Trustees acts as the school board.

So, is the entire campus off-limits or just the buildings housing these two k-12 schools?
    Ball State's weapons policy:
    Ball State University - Appendix O - Weapons Policy

the daycare/preschool is its own building, totally legal to carry at BSU. just can't go into the high school dorms or the daycare building.
    Legal, yes. But they have established that they want their property to be a police state, if you will. And they can and probably will press charges for breaking their rules. Not to mention their new trespass program. This basically legally bans you from campus and if you are seen on campus again, they arrest you.

When I was at BSU I had guns in my dorm, car and on me. I never knew we could request permission because I did not give a **** enough to even ask about that fact.
    In the dorm? I really hope you're kidding. I've lived in dorms for three of the last 4 years here and a gun is the last thing I would want most of my neighbors having in there. At least tell me you didn't hide alcohol in there with the gun? Guns and booze don't mix.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In the dorm? I really hope you're kidding. I've lived in dorms for three of the last 4 years here and a gun is the last thing I would want most of my neighbors having in there. At least tell me you didn't hide alcohol in there with the gun? Guns and booze don't mix.
    Why would I kid? Then again I am old enough I don't give a **** what a snot nose kid like you thinks anyway.

Man up, grow some balls. Where you live has no impact on my rights. I am not "most" of your neighbors and you are not mine but you would fit in well with most of them I have right now. Union members and profs.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Hey guns and booze can mix. There is something called being responsible. If you have a few drinks i mean like two and decide to carry, your judgement is not flawed. but i guess that depends on your ability to handle booze.
    I am guessing that there are some INGO members who have gotten plowed with guns at their house, on the coffee table etc.. and in the mist of being wasted never touched the gun/s or decided to remove that bullet from the chamber once they realized they were super messed up.. Or maybe its just certain owners and guns don't mix...I dunno.Maybe i am alone with my thinking. But just my opinion..

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Back then it was more popular to drink and drive, but that would have been illegal so I didn't do it. The fact it was also prudent to not do so was irrelevant. Once a gun enters the home, you become a sub 100 IQ club member and only law abiding citizens like remman can deal with it. Or should I say rules following citizens because there is nothing illegal about it.

Hi, here is my 20k tutiton and while you are at it, don't just take my money, take my rights too. No problem, I brought my own anal lube, I will go wait over there until you are ready for me.

On a lighter note, BSU Profs are paid in the lowest 5% of profs nantionwide with a meager average salary of only 85k. Only 85k to teach and live in Muncie. Some will of course make over the average. Yes, please tell me that is a joke.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    According to the Students for Concealed Carry website, there is a chapter at Ball State.

Indiana

Also, what "charges" can they press for violating their rules? If you're a student or an employee, they might be able to do something like expel or fire you, but if you're not either, the worse thing they can do is ask you to leave.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here's a story from a few years ago while I was at ISU.

I lived in rural area while attendig ISU and my friends would come there to shoot. My firends also lived off campus. After one night of shooting, we went back to their place to party.
    My friends didn't unload everything from their car that night and parked on campus the next day with rifle ammunition on the dashboard and a SW 357 loaded with '6 silver bullets' under the seat.

****ing campus police saw the ammo on the dash and that "gave" them authority to unlock and search the car with the owner not present.

The car owner was within a razors edge of getting expelled for another friends handgun.

In the end, the school wound up doing nothing since both had their CCW permits.

The car owner did contact a lawyer who said there was nothing he could do to help.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    When I was at BSU I had guns in my dorm, car and on me. I never knew we could request permission because I did not give a **** enough to even ask about that fact.

Why would I kid? Then again I am old enough I don't give a **** what a snot nose kid like you thinks anyway.

Man up, grow some balls. Where you live has no impact on my rights. I am not "most" of your neighbors and you are not mine but you would fit in well with most of them I have right now. Union members and profs.
    Go ahead and make it personal if it makes you feel better. That fact of the matter is, you signed a contract when you agreed to live in the dorms to abide by their rules. Which included not having alcohol or guns in the dorm. Not to mention it was a pretty selfish act. Your roommate could have gotten in serious trouble had you been caught. Call me snot nose kid if it makes you feel better, but it doesn't make it right on your part.
    Hey guns and booze can mix. There is something called being responsible. If you have a few drinks i mean like two and decide to carry, your judgement is not flawed. but i guess that depends on your ability to handle booze.
    I am guessing that there are some INGO members who have gotten plowed with guns at their house, on the coffee table etc.. and in the mist of being wasted never touched the gun/s or decided to remove that bullet from the chamber once they realized they were super messed up.. Or maybe its just certain owners and guns don't mix...I dunno.Maybe i am alone with my thinking. But just my opinion..
    On BSU's campus there is no such thing as "one or two drinks."

Back then it was more popular to drink and drive, but that would have been illegal so I didn't do it. The fact it was also prudent to not do so was irrelevant. Once a gun enters the home, you become a sub 100 IQ club member and only law abiding citizens like remman can deal with it. Or should I say rules following citizens because there is nothing illegal about it.

Hi, here is my 20k tutiton and while you are at it, don't just take my money, take my rights too. No problem, I brought my own anal lube, I will go wait over there until you are ready for me.

On a lighter note, BSU Profs are paid in the lowest 5% of profs nantionwide with a meager average salary of only 85k. Only 85k to teach and live in Muncie. Some will of course make over the average. Yes, please tell me that is a joke.
    I have no idea what that comment was about. Again, I bring up the point that you signed a contract to not have guns or alcohol in the dorms. They didn't take your rights, you willingly signed them away. By giving them that 20k, you waived the right to carry a gun while you were on campus.

According to the Students for Concealed Carry website, there is a chapter at Ball State.

Indiana

Also, what "charges" can they press for violating their rules? If you're a student or an employee, they might be able to do something like expel or fire you, but if you're not either, the worse thing they can do is ask you to leave.
    Interesting. They aren't officially recognized by the university...
    EDIT: forgot about the second portion. As I stated above, when you attend BSU, you sign a number of things. One of those things is a contract for those living in campus housing, agreeing to not have guns (weapons) or alcohol in the dorms. By bringing one or both of these items into the dorms, you are breaking a contract. Breech of contract could be one of those charges. Anything they could bring against you under the guise of contract law would be considered, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe "breach of contract" is a civil matter, not a criminal offense. Like I said, they could expel you. However, what would be the purpose of a civil suit? If they kick you out, you lose the money you have already paid them.

Let's just hope the Senate Bill which died this year, that would have allowed you to carry on campus without fear of being expelled, is revived and passed next year.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I live near BSU. I carry, concealed, and will be whenever I go onto campus. What has been posted before is right. So long as your not caught, your ok.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Looks like the mod who addressed this issue forgot to post a follow-up warning in this thread, so I will do so. If you cannot remain civil when discussing issues, please find another forum. Name-calling, trolling, and other nastiness are not welcome here.

One member was already removed and the issue is now considered settled.

:mods:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Here's a story from a few years ago while I was at ISU.

I lived in rural area while attendig ISU and my friends would come there to shoot. My firends also lived off campus. After one night of shooting, we went back to their place to party.
    My friends didn't unload everything from their car that night and parked on campus the next day with rifle ammunition on the dashboard and a SW 357 loaded with '6 silver bullets' under the seat.

****ing campus police saw the ammo on the dash and that "gave" them authority to unlock and search the car with the owner not present.

The car owner was within a razors edge of getting expelled for another friends handgun.

In the end, the school wound up doing nothing since both had their CCW permits.

The car owner did contact a lawyer who said there was nothing he could do to help.
    Wow the liberties campus police take these days... or back then. I wouldnt think much of it. Again i grew up in the country.. not so much around guns.. friends had them. Their parents did.. mine secretly do but wont admit to owning them. There is loose ammo on my truck dash now. And some in the seat.. from the last time i was in the country at a friends house.. sure wish i could afford to drive my truck more.. i guess i should put it up.. but i dont see that honestly beimg a good reason to search a car... but probable cause is rather vague these days...
    remman;283 On BSU's campus there is no such thing as "one or two drinks." [/QUOTE said:
    No bashing, again it just depends on the individual. Some people have just a night cap. Beer and what not have a different effect on some than others. I like my drink stiff. But am rarely compelled to get trashed where my judgement is flawed. I guess it doesnt matter really.

Looks like the mod who addressed this issue forgot to post a follow-up warning in this thread, so I will do so. If you cannot remain civil when discussing issues, please find another forum. Name-calling, trolling, and other nastiness are not welcome here.

I never intended this to turn into this. More or less curious to what other members up north had some solid advice for my friend attending BSU. I feel slightly to blame as this is a hot topic amongst my college friends and non gun owners.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Scutter is correct, I did forget to post the in-thread warning, but I echo his comment. Be civil or begone.

...I never intended this to turn into this. More or less curious to what other members up north had some solid advice for my friend attending BSU. I feel slightly to blame as this is a hot topic amongst my college friends and non gun owners.

You didn't do this, nor are you responsible for the acts of others. Any member is free to come on and say what he or she wishes and equally free to NOT say something he or she well knows is outside of our very simple and well-known site rules.

People can address the topic of conversation without making it a personal thing against the person to whom they're responding. When they don't, that's when in-thread warnings get issued and in some cases, depending on the member's history, hammers get swung. It is possible, and happens most of the time here, for people to disagree without being disagreeable.

We do not like banning. We do it when there is no remaining option, and the fault, if "fault" is to be placed, lies squarely upon the person who gets him- or herself banned. In short, don't blame yourself for others' choices and actions.

Blessings,
    Bill

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    No bashing, again it just depends on the individual. Some people have just a night cap. Beer and what not have a different effect on some than others. I like my drink stiff. But am rarely compelled to get trashed where my judgement is flawed. I guess it doesnt matter really.
    I didn't mean that as anything against you or your comment. It was just my observations of 4 years on campus. It's not unusual for my neighbors to wake up with a hangover 6 days of the week. I apologize if it came across as such.

Scutter is correct, I did forget to post the in-thread warning, but I echo his comment. Be civil or begone.

You didn't do this, nor are you responsible for the acts of others. Any member is free to come on and say what he or she wishes and equally free to NOT say something he or she well knows is outside of our very simple and well-known site rules.

People can address the topic of conversation without making it a personal thing against the person to whom they're responding. When they don't, that's when in-thread warnings get issued and in some cases, depending on the member's history, hammers get swung. It is possible, and happens most of the time here, for people to disagree without being disagreeable.

We do not like banning. We do it when there is no remaining option, and the fault, if "fault" is to be placed, lies squarely upon the person who gets him- or herself banned. In short, don't blame yourself for others' choices and actions.

Blessings,
    Bill
    To both mods: I apologize if my response to Zoub came across as "trolling or other nastiness." I wrote that response while making every attempt to address his comment without breaking any of the forum rules. I enjoy what you guys have done for us here at INGO, and also realize that, while I am a member of the forum, I am also technically a guest in your house. So again, I apologize if my response came across as any of the above things.

All that being said, I would like to add that, while I would love to be able to carry a handgun around campus, I also realize it would be a double standard for me to say that I don't think others should be able to do so. Because of that, I just follow the rules that I agreed to follow. And the fact that there are students out there that wake up with a hangover 6 days of the week, and those students may have guns, makes me a little nervous. All I have to defend myself is a pocket knife that is barely within BSU's weapons policy.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I will be graduating may 5th, cant wait. The BSU and their police department are a joke. (that said munciePD is great, nice guys and they serve/protect)

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Back in the 70s when I was at BSU, some general talk before a class revealed one guy had a pistol in his backpack. It was retrieved & admired before class started. It was put back into the pack before class started. Different world then.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I have attended 4 universities, and taught at an additional two during my collegiate days, and my current profession. Without question, I saw the greatest amount of personal crime at Ball State University. I saw a music student have his entire set of instruments stolen from a "padlocked locker". I saw cars with broken windows, where people tried to get in and search (and trashed) the inside of the car in a search for valuable, or to access a trunk. I saw items just "walk off" when a back was turned for a moment. I saw items disappear out of securely locked professor's studios. I saw classrooms devoid of anything of value, because they had been stolen and not replaced. Granted, this was 30 years ago, but the truth of the matter is I transferred out of Ball State in no small part due to the crime, the complete lack of a campus police system (that was there to "protect" you, especially if you were a donut), and a city at the time with the highest unemployment rate and number of manufacturing plants closing of all time. The Muncie Mall had four stores in it that year. Crime was rampant, and no one cared. You bet I left at the end of the year. I had seen enough to know that I had seen too much.

And, this is not meant to insult anyone, but every other campus I have taught at or attended has felt safe and had less crime than that which I saw at BSU.

Top Bottom