• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Those are the ones which are reported. I can tell you that a lot of crime on all campuses goes unreported, or is reported and then quietly ignored. Have a $400 iPad stolen....good luck! Someone break into your car, but nothing "of value" (read more than $500 or so), good luck. Those crime stats are reported.

And 2012 is a lot different from the fall of 1982 in Muncie.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It is a state funded public school. If you are a resident of Indiana and have a valid LTCH, then what is the issue? The people making the rules are being paid because of the people attending. This baffles me every time some issue such as, is brought up. If it was not for resident and corporate tax payers, then a lot of the BSU jobs would not exist. All of the tax money paid by me, you, us, is available as well. So, my suggestion is to write the Secretary of State, get a letter claiming you are a resident. Take that along with your other info(i.e. tax info, payment breakdown, etc.) to the Dean/Chancellor and present your case to them. They will probably shun/dismiss/ignore you, so you need to have one or two students with ties to the AP or some major news network. (It is a telecom school) The AP is best because everyone reports from it. My guess would be that if this was done in a civil manner, the school would have no choice but to change its rules. And it could probably be done with 5 people or less:dunno:

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I never got expelled from there, but I always had one in the outer pocket of my backpack at all times. I was a commuter and I'll be damned if I'm going to drive all the way to school in victim mode because a state run institution doesn't want to abide the state constitution.

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    My niece will be starting her freshmen year at bsu this fall.
    She got her LTCH shortly after her 18th birthday and has been carrying ever since. It makes me sick that she won't be able to protect herself with it when she goes off to school and will be more vulnerable because of being a young woman on her own.
    I want her to enjoy her college experience and not be the victim of some predator. I guess I will have to hope that we have taught her well enough to be careful and that she never runs into a time where she needs her gun.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    She got her LTCH shortly after her 18th birthday and has been carrying ever since. It makes me sick that she won't be able to protect herself with it when she goes off to school and will be more vulnerable because of being a young woman on her own.
    I want her to enjoy her college experience and not be the victim of some predator. I guess I will have to hope that we have taught her well enough to be careful and that she never runs into a time where she needs her gun.
    she can have a mace gun. I think the brand was kimber that made a two round mace spray, comes in some fun colors as well. :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Has she considered online study and an apartment? If she never (or rarely) has to go on campus, she can minimize the time she has to be disarmed... Or, since it's not illegal to go there armed, conceal it, keep her mouth shut about it, and carry anyway. She has to be alive to be expelled and there are other schools. There's only one of her. Let her see this thread and as an adult, make up her own mind. (She IS on INGO, right? ;))

Blessings,
    Bill

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Has she considered online study and an apartment? If she never (or rarely) has to go on campus, she can minimize the time she has to be disarmed... Or, since it's not illegal to go there armed, conceal it, keep her mouth shut about it, and carry anyway. She has to be alive to be expelled and there are other schools. There's only one of her. Let her see this thread and as an adult, make up her own mind. (She IS on INGO, right? ;))

Blessings,
    Bill

My daughter is a sophomore at Ball State. If I'm not mistaken, you have to live on-campus as a freshman, unless you are a commuter student.To be a commuter student, one must live within 60 miles of campus.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My daughter is a sophomore at Ball State. If I'm not mistaken, you have to live on-campus as a freshman, unless you are a commuter student.To be a commuter student, one must live within 60 miles of campus.

I just looked that up, and you're correct, as long as that address within 60 miles is that of the parents.

I dunno, it's been a long time since I was in school (mine had that policy, too) but at the time, there wasn't an internet option, either. I think I'd at least explore the idea and see if I could take online classes instead of traditional classroom school.

Thanks for the info!

Blessings,
    Bill

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield

She is also allowed to carry a knife with up to a 3 inch blade around campus. I carry one that's exactly 3 inches. Doesn't even have to be assisted open as long as she is always aware of her surroundings.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ive carried a 4 inch cold steel for the 4 years ive been here, its usually always visible when its warm (short t shirts I guess). No one has ever said anything, and Ive given enough speeches so I can tell you a good number of profs have seen it. Mace and tasers are junk. My gf had one, and her buddy tried it on himself... did nothing, fully charged. Her dad has since taken my advice and purchased her a beretta 84fs.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive carried a 4 inch cold steel for the 4 years ive been here, its usually always visible when its warm (short t shirts I guess). No one has ever said anything, and Ive given enough speeches so I can tell you a good number of profs have seen it. Mace and tasers are junk. My gf had one, and her buddy tried it on himself... did nothing, fully charged. Her dad has since taken my advice and purchased her a beretta 84fs.

Her buddy was either out of his mind drunk/stoned or one really tough SOB. If it was an actual taser that is. I seen a drunk Marine get tasered and he went down very quickly. If you're talking about a stun gun then you're correct as it relies mostly on the battery voltage to dish out the charge. As for mace, while it may not put them to the ground, I wouldn't want to get hit with it again. While I was young and dumb I had a friend who went to BSU and she carried mace. Just to see what it was like I had a few beers and let her spray me. Trust me, it wasn't pleasant.

While those are nothing compared to carrying a firearm and the results aren't as effective or devastating, I'd recommend both a taser and mace as a non-lethal way to deter a rape/mugging for a college student. Both will give them enough time to run away and call the police.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Guns are only one tool for defense. Young people and others who can't carry guns still need options. I teach a Flashlight Combatives course that works very well for people in non-permissive environments.

Top Bottom