• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just like all violence, LE deaths have been on the decline for quite a while now (2001 being a major anomaly).

2014totalfatalities-web_custom-df784be8fe541622a01105419bc5bfbd56a9e39f-s900-c85.png

Additionally, there were 69 officer deaths in the first 7 months of 2015 (out of 130 total). We were at 63 in the first 7 of 2016.

So, is 2016 going to be a major spike, or a media-driven pseudo-spike? Much like "all violent crime", and the media doing their best to convince us it is actually on the rise?

Now, that said, targeting cops is seriously bad. Not only is it simply deplorable, it also will have EXACTLY the opposite effect as the anti-cop groups intend. Do they really think that LE will simply back down? Or will they up-armor even more?

The tin-foiler in my thinks certain groups/individuals are intentionally stirring up unrest, at the cost of a few lives here and there, to further their own goals. BLM and the like are simply useful idiots.

Prayers to these officers/deputies and their families. No one should have to go through this.

So, in ballpark terms, the rate of violence against police has dropped, but the rate of decline (about 25%) is roughly half the rate of decline of all violent crime (about 50%) in the past two decades.

Why is the rate of violence against police changing only half the rate of change of violence against the population as a whole?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, in ballpark terms, the rate of violence against police has dropped, but the rate of decline (about 25%) is roughly half the rate of decline of all violent crime (about 50%) in the past two decades.

Why is the rate of violence against police changing only half the rate of change of violence against the population as a whole?

Deaths is not the best measure of violence against LEOs. Things such as better equipment and procedures (ie, vests that work and policy that makes you wear it even if you're a whiny crybaby and it's hot outside), better medical care, etc. reduce murder rates because fewer people die. That does not mean fewer are assaulted.

In 2004, 2,114 officers were assaulted with a firearm.

In 2013, 2,266 officers were assaulted with a firearm.

The numbers remain pretty consistent, within 150 of 2100 per year, plus or minus.

Percentage injured remain roughly 10% +/- 1%

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013/tabl...e_of_weapon_and_percent_injured_2004-2013.xls

Knife and feet/fist/other personal weapon attacks are down.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Deaths is not the best measure of violence against LEOs. Things such as better equipment and procedures (ie, vests that work and policy that makes you wear it even if you're a whiny crybaby and it's hot outside), better medical care, etc. reduce murder rates because fewer people die. That does not mean fewer are assaulted.

In 2004, 2,114 officers were assaulted with a firearm.

In 2013, 2,266 officers were assaulted with a firearm.

The numbers remain pretty consistent, within 150 of 2100 per year, plus or minus.

Percentage injured remain roughly 10% +/- 1%

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013/tabl...e_of_weapon_and_percent_injured_2004-2013.xls

Knife and feet/fist/other personal weapon attacks are down.

So, even worse, then: police are being assaulted at a constant rate, while the overall population rate of such assaults continues to decline.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    According to officials, Matthew Gerald, 41, of Denham Springs is confirmed dead. Gerald was a former Marine, a former Black Hawk Crew Chief in the Army. He just graduated from the BRPD Academy in March.

RIP officer Gerald.

11003183_G.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Shooter was a BLM-ish type that felt violence was the only way for justice.

This Is What We Know About The Man Who Shot Three Baton Rouge Police Officers
    What is BLMish? The guy explicitly disavowed affiliation with any group, including his former membership in NOI. Micah Johnson reviled BLM yet is constantly associated with it.

If we are going to revile Obama for ignoring the explicit positions and affiliations taken by the pulse shooter, why are we doing the same thing here?

Micah Johnson and Devin Long were both racist *******s who wanted to kill cops because that is what they chose to be. BLM didn't somehow force or make that choice.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What is BLMish? The guy explicitly disavowed affiliation with any group, including his former membership in NOI. Micah Johnson reviled BLM yet is constantly associated with it.

If we are going to revile Obama for ignoring the explicit positions and affiliations taken by the pulse shooter, why are we doing the same thing here?

Meh, you have your definition of what BLM is, and I have mine.

The things he said (and praised) were indistinguishable from what the "movement" claims to want.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What does the differences in definition matter when both of them explicitly disavowed the group?

Thus, my use of "BLM-ish". He may not have considered himself a part of the movement (i acknowledge that), but he said and acted similar enough to the movement for me to consider him to have similar values.

That's just me. Doesn't matter to anyone else.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wish this episode of TheBlaze could be broadcast on all channels. What an awesome discussion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom