Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I don't really see her in all that great of light. She has no right to prevent people from doing what is lawful. Her religion isn't the law. It's just her belief. And sticking to her belief is fine and even admirable. But she's taking it to the point where she's effectively making her religion the law over other people. That's not a "Molon Labe" situation. The law isn't hers to make. She's daring someone to take what isn't hers.

You must spread the rep wealth around before giving it to Jamil again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm waiting on her to make a statement that marriage is not under the control of the state. That marriage is a holy union formed by one man, one woman, and God almighty. In my church marriage is a vocation, and requires those three things. In her church it may be something different but since she is denying to issue marriage licenses to anyone, perhaps she doesn't believe the sate has legal right to do so. Regardless...if the people want her gone, it's going to take some time and a whole lot of money...a win win for lawyers...a lose lose for the taxpayers.

In your church that's what it means. And as it pertains to the government, how your church defines it or hers, it doesn't matter. This is not a theocracy. We are supposed to be governed by laws, not by churches.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I wear a lot of hats, and one of those is that I serve as a pastor of a small country church. I can't comment on her motives, as I don't know her. What God defines marriage as cannot be changed by the ruling of any court, the fiat of any king, or the legislation of any government. That is my belief, and I think the Bible supports that belief. If it didn't, I wouldn't believe it. I also think civil disobedience has a definite role to play in some issues. Thank God for Rosa Parks.

But I also don't believe government has a role to play in marriage, at all. I know that ship has sailed, but in my mind, if I want government out of marriage, is it then consistent to use government to control marriage?

Frankly, I feel like SCOTUS should have left the decision making at a lower level. You want to marry your boyfriend, sir? Go someplace that does that sort of thing. If the people of this county want a clerk that issues these licenses, then fix that at the ballot box. But that ship has sailed too. Is God the highest Authority? That is my belief. But if you are being compelled to disobey God by a lower authority, then maybe the best statement can be made by disassociating yourself with that entity, i.e., resign.

Here is my most serious rub with the whole thing: if we are to say that we will in her case issue marriage licenses, or in my case perform marriages, based upon the Biblical definition of marriage, then we had better be consistent. So has she ever issued a license for a marriage in which one of the parties has been previously married? Just because that is now the societal norm does not make it Biblical. Has she ever issued a license to a couple when one is a professing Christian and the other is not? These are things specifically talked about in the New Testament. We don't get to pick and choose what we will compromise. If one is a compromise, then so is the other, and just as wrong.

Sorry for the long post. I understand many will disagree with my beliefs, and that's ok. I wouldn't bother believing the things I do if it were a matter of popularity. It really is important to stand firm on your beliefs, just be consistent.

Going somewhere else is not a good argument. It's like living in a heavily anti-gun state.. You want your 2nd amendment freedoms? Just move! We shouldn't have to move to enjoy liberty, especially since every state is under one federal constitution that applies in each state.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I want to see how many divorce papers she's processed, if it's part of her job.

If she has processed/approved divorce papers then she is a hypocrite and insulting other Christians.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In your church that's what it means. And as it pertains to the government, how your church defines it or hers, it doesn't matter. This is not a theocracy. We are supposed to be governed by laws, not by churches.

Not all law comes from government. The law of the government will have to be used to justly remove her from her elected position though. So what are they waiting on?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I want to see how many divorce papers she's processed, if it's part of her job.

If she has processed/approved divorce papers then she is a hypocrite and insulting other Christians.

Never been divorced but the county clerk isn't the one that handles divorces, it's the Superior Court of such and such a county. A judge has to dissolve the state sanctioned marriage, since it was a judge that created it.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Never been divorced but the county clerk isn't the one that handles divorces, it's the Superior Court of such and such a county. A judge has to dissolve the state sanctioned marriage, since it was a judge that created it.

I don't know how it is in Kentucky. There can be some variation in county clerk job descriptions by state.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not all law comes from government. The law of the government will have to be used to justly remove her from her elected position though. So what are they waiting on?
    You, nor anyone else has a right to enforce whatever your religious laws are apart from the laws established by our elected lawmakers. And they're probably waiting to give her a chance to do the right thing, which is comply or resign.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    comply or resign.

Any opportunity to post the pic :P

bake%2Bthe%2Bcake.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Going somewhere else is not a good argument. It's like living in a heavily anti-gun state.. You want your 2nd amendment freedoms? Just move! We shouldn't have to move to enjoy liberty, especially since every state is under one federal constitution that applies in each state.

It was a statement of my preference for localized control over public policy, not federal edicts for every facet of life. But as I said after that statement, that ship has sailed. Not worth detailing this thread over a hypothetical.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You, nor anyone else has a right to enforce whatever your religious laws are apart from the laws established by our elected lawmakers. And they're probably waiting to give her a chance to do the right thing, which is comply or resign.

Since she seems to be steadfast in her protest...I have a feeling she'll not comply nor resign. It's probably going to take an action from the Kentucky State legislature to get rid of her. Her county voted her in, maybe they did that for a reason.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    A Contempt Motion has been filed against her and she is due in court on Thursday. Here's where we see if the judge has backbone. If she wants to be a martyr then so be it. Throwing her in jail for contempt is one way to remove her from office.

Breaking: Contempt Motion Filed Against Rowan County Clerk | ACLU

A judge with backbone? Since when does it take backbone to undo the will of the people with the stroke of a pen?

Now if the judge had to strip to the waist and fight alligators, that would be courage.

Although this sounds like the foundation of liberty to me:
    The duty of public officials is to enforce the law, not place themselves above it.
    Because the law is the law. Unless it's about weed, or something we dig. Then double unplus good.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    I think she's being a douchebag. This isn't about molon labe, it's about her personal little temper tantrum. Unfortunately they'll probably have to remove her from office the hard way.

The hard way? Can't the govener of the state of Kentucky just recall her?

Top Bottom