Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They were a smaller and much more persecuted minority then. We have matured as a nation and people and have made changes along the way. We will make more in the future, I am sure. Just as Jefferson said.

What some people see as enlightenment, others see as moral decay. Who are you, or a group of judges to tell people with strong religious beliefs that they are wrong? What makes a gay couple's rights more important than theirs? And for the record, I do think that (if the government MUST be involved) they should have the same legal benefits as heterosexual couples ala civil unions. I would prefer that they leave the "marriage" part of it up to the individuals themselves.

And were they really a smaller minority, as a percentage of the population? I would tend to doubt it. Because if you believe (as I do) that homosexuality is NOT a choice, then it follows that there would be approximately the same percentage back then as there is now. That is unless YOU believe it's a CHOICE.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What some people see as enlightenment, others see as moral decay. Who are you, or a group of judges to tell people with strong religious beliefs that they are wrong? What makes a gay couple's rights more important than theirs? And for the record, I do think that (if the government MUST be involved) they should have the same legal benefits as heterosexual couples ala civil unions. I would prefer that they leave the "marriage" part of it up to the individuals themselves.

And were they really a smaller minority, as a percentage of the population? I would tend to doubt it. Because if you believe (as I do) that homosexuality is NOT a choice, then it follows that there would be approximately the same percentage back then as there is now. That is unless YOU believe it's a CHOICE.
    You're 100% free to practice your religion in your churches and homes. That's not changed. Keep it out of our government, though.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You're 100% free to practice your religion in your churches and homes. That's not changed. Keep it out of our government, though.

One of the other moderators and I were writing back and forth about a religious topic, and he dropped this quote on me, seems apt:

INGO Moderator said:
    "You have a right to practice your religion.
    You do not have the right to practice your religion on me."

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    1) This country wasn't founded on Christian values, despite what people think.
    2) Marriage pre-dates Christianity by a LOT.
    3) Does gay marriage hurt you in any way?

No doubt my post will relegate me as a hater by many reading it. I am sad beyond adequate words to express. This ruling is the demolition of certain key pillars that set this once great country above all others. I don't know if religious references are allowed in this sub forum so I will try to tread lightly. Let me start by saying I have gay friends & neighbors of whom I am very fond. I have had (deceased) and have gay relatives. I dont hate gay individuals. I believe each life has value beyond the sum total of this physical world. And everyone has equal value in the eyes of . . .. Everyone deserves my love and should be placed above me.

Many states have spoken and reflected the will of their people through their legislatures. This ruling, while only one ruling, is perhaps the clearest representation that the concept of representative democracy is dead. We now have an elite ruling class operating by executive order and judicial activism. One protected by the media and the other by lifelong immunity. To those who think this will have no effect on religious freedom consider first if your initial reaction up to now was to consider me a hateful biggot. The specter of political correctness has long since left the realm of amusing anecdote and is entering the realm of thought and unspoken action. Sermons alluding to the lifestyle in question as a sin will be branded as hate speech. I firmly believe that day is coming. Even if churches "enjoy" certain freedoms for a season parishioners outside the building will not. The wedding industry has demonstrated that. But what is religion for? Are you not supposed to be changed by it and live according to its precepts? Now (for now) there will only be freedom of religion within the confines of 4 walls containing a pulpit.

I don't really expect this post to change anyone's mind. It is really a cathartic exercise to do something on what I consider to be an infamous day in American history. I think a threshold has been crossed. If you are someone who believes I am a throwback neanderthal and cannot fathom how someone would rationally choose this belief system that seems so out of touch with enlightened modern thinking, consider that maybe I was born this way and cannot help it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Your liberty to cast your vote in a state election for an elected government that has the sovereignty to decide policy without federal bullying.

Every time the feds usurp more power from the states, your liberties shrink.

Sounds like the state's preemption law is an assault on liberty, then. I can vote for my city and county representatives, yet the state denies them the sovereignty to decide policy on firearms without state bullying. If Indy wants to ban firearms in parks, should they not have that right based on LIBERTY!!!! and be free from state bullying?

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Get ready for the war on Christianity. So the court is now handing out "rights" that are no where to be found in the constitution. They are just making this up as they go. This is a state right, not the federal gov't. All these people applauding this decision are idiots. They are applauding the LOSS OF THEIR RIGHTS and dont even know it. They are applauding the decision to ignore the constitution, ignore the voting rights of millions. They are applauding the shredding of the document that allows them to be free, instead of the gov't rounding them up and killing them. But at least they hate those "bigots" right?? The sure stuck it to those intolerant of them!!! what a sad week for the rights of the people of this country.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'd like to see some sort of protection for churches here. Allow them to maintain the right to deny a same-sex marriage. Surely, they will be targeted soon.
    The Catholic Church refuses to perform marriages all the time (they have strict guidelines you must follow). I am sure other religions do similar. I do not see that changing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    846120dbkflotc04.gif

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The Catholic Church refuses to perform marriages all the time (they have strict guidelines you must follow). I am sure other religions do similar. I do not see that changing.

Maybe not, but the LGBT movement has a dog in that fight now, and they have shown themselves to be well organized, well funded, and very motivated thus far.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh cool. I've learnt some new pejoratives for the two largest parties? But wait. There are more parties than that. Certainly the other parties don't get a free ride just because they never get more than 1% of the vote.

So what do they call the Libertarian party? A few knicknames come to mind. But I think of all of them "the tinfoil party" seems most appropriate. Of course the "bat**** crazy party" is a close second. Oh yes. Loves me some pejoratives.

Now wasn't that productive?

Carry on MRJ.

Top Bottom