• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    IIRC he went to work for another shop up around 52nd and Keystone. Can't recall the name of the shop.
    I purchased a handgun there and this guy was great to work with. Flash forward a couple years and I bought another from Indy Arms and was assisted by the same person.
    Bradis was a great little place to visit and as others have said, I hate to see another LGS go out of business.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I don’t k ow the specifics of Brandi’s but from reading here a spouse and Daughter took over management. Never good

Like several here I work at a Gunshop
    indoor range. I teach primarily but have helped out doing Gunbroker listings in the internet sales side and did some counter help.

Any buisness is hard but most gun enthusiasts/owners don’t have a clue how MUCH harder running a gun shop is you have to be on your A game.

Lots of Doctors and Lawyera have tried opening gun stores up only to fail miserably.

And if the owner/ wife of owner left with it don’t want to listen it’s a matter of a short time before it’s done!

If you go to a gun store (most but there might be that retired guy that owns everything iutright) if the owner has time to talk for 20-30-60 minutes and isn’t taking a call, excusing themselves to keep prices straight on inventory etc it’s gonna be closed within a year or 2.

A lot of customers got mad because we had a separate internet site but any brick and mortar shop that does not have that is missing out.

The thing about a lot of gun buyers (like the ones that fondle guns at a shop and try to save 20 bucks ordering it somewhere else) there are a lot of them and if they think they are getting a deal over on their shop they order even if it means a transfer fee takes it up to what they could have gotten it for when they fondled it.

some people are weird like that
    Kids havent had anything to do with the shop in years. Owner fully admits to customer that she was lost in the shop.
    I was just a part time employee but had been there the longest. I tried to explain what the customers wanted but would get the response" My Shop, ill do what I want."
    Ill miss all the customers and could call a lot of the people by name. I worked there because of the customers, definitely not the pay. With my full time job I can sit on a construction site and make 3 times what I got paid.
    I enjoyed helping someone find their first firearm or something that was hard to locate. Took pride in knowing my products, old firearms and always researched what was coming out new.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Guns are everwhere and I've been told their easier to get than a book,
    but you seem to have a HELL of a time trying to make a living selling them.

The two are probably related. Guns are largely a commodity and commodity prices are tough without volume sales. I wonder how much the chains with ranges make from guns vs ammo vs range time vs instruction. Given the expense of building, insuring, and maintaining a range, it's probably not as straight forward a question as most products vs service would be.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The two are probably related. Guns are largely a commodity and commodity prices are tough without volume sales. I wonder how much the chains with ranges make from guns vs ammo vs range time vs instruction. Given the expense of building, insuring, and maintaining a range, it's probably not as straight forward a question as most products vs service would be.
    I've never worked in a shop, but from what they give you on a trade, I would think that the bigger profit would be from selling used guns vs new guns. Kinda like cars.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    And if you want more out of your gun, sell it your own damn self and pocket that extra cash.
    That’s what I told folks that came in and wanted to try and trade. I was mostly an instructor when I worked there so I didn’t give 2 s&$)s about sales and many times the item they wanted to trade they’d be better off keeping as that fire extinguisher gun!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well we can all take a breath and be thankful that when the years of 4473’s are turned in to the ATF they will shred them and they won’t be scanned into a defacto gun registry…

Wait…

They won't be shredded or turned into a registry. The 4473 shows who bought it, not who owns it. Fairly significant difference. I own guns that I've never had a 4473 on and no longer own guns that I did. A registry would prohibit that.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I used to go there at least once a week but have only been maybe once in the last 7 years. I liked going to check out the large pile of Mosins, Mausers and other Milsurps in the back room. I remember the Russian capture mausers that were not sorted, you could find some gems back there. I was going thru paperwork recently and found some of my old Bradis receipts. Looks like I quit going in 2004 or so.
    They used to get some decent used Milsurps from customers as well. Once the Milsurps dried up I quit going.

On the other front, I don’t know if it’s changed recently but in the past the FFL only had to retain a 4473 for 20 years. I’m sure they will just send them all in as it’s easier unless they have been keeping up on that. Once again, I’m not sure if that requirement has changed to forever or not. Edit to add, I looked this up and it appears to have changed to forever sometime after 2019 if I’m reading it correctly.

Does anyone know if Bradis did transfers? I felt like they did at one point but were expensive and kind of a pain about it. I think I asked once a long time ago and they told me $35 or something and acted annoyed I even asked. I know it can be a taboo topic at some places but getting people in the door is usually good for business even if you are only getting $20 or $25.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I bought quite a few guns from them back in the 2000's . They where the only place that could get me a Remington 700 AAC-SD ,308 when they first came out .My oldest sons first 22 and shotgun come from there and the boys loved Bradis ll and the zombie targets . Pretty sure they hung more on their walls than they shot , actually may still have a few .

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Luckily we can trust the ATF.

When The Trace had initially filed the FOIA request, the ATF denied it, citing the Tiahrt Amendment. John Lindsay-Poland, the founder of the organization, sued, and the Ninth Circuit court ruled in his favor.

So you're argument that there's a secret registry is the ATF denied a FOIA request, was sued, lost and then released the info? I'm curious as to what INGO's stance would be if the ATF refused to comply with a court's decision? No, actually I'm not. I'm pretty used to damned if you do, damned if you don't from both sides of the aisle on any sort of law enforcement now.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you're argument that there's a secret registry is the ATF denied a FOIA request, was sued, lost and then released the info? I'm curious as to what INGO's stance would be if the ATF refused to comply with a court's decision? No, actually I'm not. I'm pretty used to damned if you do, damned if you don't from both sides of the aisle on any sort of law enforcement now.
    Well, as politicized as the ATF has become, they're really not "any sort of law enforcement", IMHO.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is upstanding law enforcement, such as yourself.. and then there is something that has been weaponized to push an agenda and needs to be abolished. They are the same people that have a habit of shooting dogs.

Sadly all the Bradis 4473s will go to the ATF, and they will be put on a high tech optical fiche that can be searched with speed by a computer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, as politicized as the ATF has become, they're really not "any sort of law enforcement", IMHO.

I work with them fairly often. Oddly enough, they haven't seen that politicized to me. Gun store burglaries, straw purchasers that are feeding violent gangs (odd how 5 guns from different crime scenes with different shooters all tied to one purchaser, what a coincidence!), etc. seems like actual law enforcement to me.

Top Bottom