• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    If a bullet is a bullet, why spend on anything other than bulk ball ammo? What's the magic of 1000 fps?

Semi-rhetorical. I've seen enough bodies and bullets in them to form a few conclusions. Everyone is free to believe whatever they like and hopefully they'll never be put in a position where it mattered.
    Jeesh, I see how you have 26k posts.

I have 10 different types of self defense ammo. I was sharing my current choice. Truth be told, I’ve trusted my life to about every brand and type of bullet out there. As long as they go boom is my criteria.

“They all fall to hard ball”. Ever heard that before?

There's nothing special about 1000 ft per second. Enough hits on target will eventually stop any threat.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    My local PD here uses Gold Dot 124 +P, so that's what I use in my EDC. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. And just to "standardize," I have GD 180 gr JHP in .40 S&W, and 230 gr Gold Dot in .45 ACP, also. Can't say it's any better or any worse than HST or other major brands, and I don't really want to find out under actual conditions.

Spartanmage

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2023
    Greenwood, IN
    I've not seen any bad ammo suggestions. The Federal HST is fantastic! I've had better luck finding the Hornady Critical Duty in my area, so that tends to be what's in my pistol.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There remains no good reason not to buy Gold Dot or HST, whichever is available or cheaper at the moment. Any Glock product will run them out of the box.

Hornady is good ammo, too, but the conical bullets randomly don't agree with some guns, so you do need to test them.

Whatever you buy, run at least one full magazine to confirm it feeds from first round to last round. Also, shoot side by side with your training ammo, ideally rested at 25 yards, and observe whether there is a point of impact shift. With 147s I have to make a mental note that they skew a little high versus my bulk ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Jeesh, I see how you have 26k posts.

I have 10 different types of self defense ammo. I was sharing my current choice. Truth be told, I’ve trusted my life to about every brand and type of bullet out there. As long as they go boom is my criteria.

“They all fall to hard ball”. Ever heard that before?

There's nothing special about 1000 ft per second. Enough hits on target will eventually stop any threat.
    A very friendly word of advice: BBI knows that of which he speaks. You would do well to heed his advice concerning such matters.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    A very friendly word of advice: BBI knows that of which he speaks. You would do well to heed his advice concerning such matters.
    First off, your words don’t feel very friendly. So please don’t attempt to hide your actual intent. No one is fooled.

Second off, the fact that you or him think it really matters the weight or design of a bullet makes me laugh. You are two people on the Internet with opinions. Nothing more. I don’t care about your resumes, so please don’t reply with them.

Also, please go read the first post in this thread. A gentleman was asking for ammo recommendations. I was merely sharing one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    First off, your words don’t feel very friendly. So please don’t attempt to hide your actual intent. No one is fooled.

Second off, the fact that you or him think it really matters the weight or design of a bullet makes me laugh. You are two people on the Internet with opinions. Nothing more. I don’t care about your resumes, so please don’t reply with them.

Also, please go read the first post in this thread. A gentleman was asking for ammo recommendations. I was merely sharing one.
    Alrighty then.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

You must be new here (or not very active). I can't say there's ANYONE more versed on this topic than BBI (or done more investigations, been on more crime scenes, etc). Not sure if he's still instructing, but he also is very knowledgeable in defensive tactics and similar...

My two cents, anyways... but to keep this on topic - you can't go wrong with FEDERAL HST. Buy a case...

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    You must be new here (or not very active). I can't say there's ANYONE more versed on this topic than BBI (or done more investigations, been on more crime scenes, etc). Not sure if he's still instructing, but he also is very knowledgeable in defensive tactics and similar...

My two cents, anyways... but to keep this on topic - you can't go wrong with FEDERAL HST. Buy a case...
    Nope. Not new. Been here for a minute. I wish y’all would just buy what makes you happy and not trash other people’s opinions, but I’m sure in your own mind that “you’re saving lives with your advice”.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Meh. Trolling or doesn't know what he doesn't know. Either way, pointless to argue with. Folks who want to learn have the info they need.
    I’m trolling? I didn’t bad mouth your ammo choice. You chose to bad mouth mine. But yeah, like Tony Montana said, “I’m the bad guy…so point your finger”.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Nope. Not new. Been here for a minute. I wish y’all would just buy what makes you happy and not trash other people’s opinions, but I’m sure in your own mind that “you’re saving lives with your advice”.
    I could care less, but you do you!

If you knew, you'd know EVERY bullet that leaves your pistol in a defensive shooting has a lawyer attached to it.

And that FMJ round will scoot right through your intended target and hit an innocent bystander.

But, you knew all that.

640px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

Just not near me or my family, please.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I'm using Hornady critical defense. Not because I know what I'm doing, but when I asked the guy what to use when I bought my first 9 its what he handed me. Seems alright. I keep everything loaded with it.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I could care less, but you do you!

If you knew, you'd know EVERY bullet that leaves your pistol in a defensive shooting has a lawyer attached to it.

And that FMJ round will scoot right through your intended target and hit an innocent bystander.

But, you knew all that.

View attachment 367497

Just not near me or my family, please.
    Thank you so much for this helpful reply. You should know that Jeff Cooper taught me to be aware of my surroundings a long time ago, but I’m so glad you brought this up In such a warm and friendly manner.

If you didn’t know, Jeff Cooper was considered an expert in shooting. You should look him up. He had other rules that YOU should be aware of, so you can share with others.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle! Please feel free to share with others!

cstoltie

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Leigh Defense at the moment. Right now the 90 gr XD (extreme defense) or the 115gr ME (maximum expansion). All bullets are Swiss CNC machine Match Solid Copper Bullets.

Attachments

• IMG_9820.jpeg
      IMG_9820.jpeg
      530.1 KB · Views: 1
    • IMG_9821.jpeg
      IMG_9821.jpeg
      257.9 KB · Views: 1
    • IMG_9822.jpeg
      IMG_9822.jpeg
      462.7 KB · Views: 1
    • IMG_9823.jpeg
      IMG_9823.jpeg
      161 KB · Views: 1
    • IMG_9824.jpeg
      IMG_9824.jpeg
      247.6 KB · Views: 1

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thank you so much for this helpful reply. You should know that Jeff Cooper taught me to be aware of my surroundings a long time ago, but I’m so glad you brought this up In such a warm and friendly manner.

If you didn’t know, Jeff Cooper was considered an expert in shooting. You should look him up. He had other rules that YOU should be aware of, so you can share with others.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle! Please feel free to share with others!
    :popcorn:

Top Bottom