• ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congratulations on a new EDC pistol...
    There're some great ammo recommendations here for off the shelf ammo, which is fine for getting started, and all of it will work - Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST, Hornady ammunition.
    Attached is a ballistics chart as something to review as you consider which is the better carry ammo for yourself, keeping in mind that every pistol shoots slightly different and sometimes ammo that shoots well in one pistol doesn't always shoot as well (accuracy-wise) in another pistol of the same manufacture. Also, lighter grain bullets accelerate faster, and heavier bullets accelerate slower, so barrel length matters when it comes to bullet velocity (aka, powder burn time) when the bullet leaves the end of the barrel.
    Enjoy your new toy!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was slow to convert to a modern pistol I wanted to carry a 1911 forever.
    @BehindBlueI's
    @nad63
    @obijohn
    @hammerd13
    @xwing
    Converted me to G**k and other striker fired stuff.
    light EDC Beretta APX A-1 carry 9mm underwood all copper barnes xp 115 grain +p

Heavy EDC going to the big city Glock 38 Buffalo Bore 160 grain Barnes 45 GAP

I rely on BBI for ammo recommendations he IMO is the expert.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was slow to convert to a modern pistol I wanted to carry a 1911 forever.
    @BehindBlueI's
    @nad63
    @obijohn
    @hammerd13
    @xwing
    Converted me to G**k and other striker fired stuff.
    light EDC Beretta APX A-1 carry 9mm underwood all copper barnes xp 115 grain +p

Heavy EDC going to the big city Glock 38 Buffalo Bore 160 grain Barnes 45 GAP

I rely on BBI for ammo recommendations he IMO is the expert.

Thanks, but I wouldn't consider myself as such. I have been lucky to work with/get to know some actual experts, figured out who knew their stuff based on some personal observation, and read the right books. I just pass along what I've learned from being in the right place at the right time and paying attention.

And don't blame me for your plastic Beretta. Next thing you know someone will say I talked them into accepting revolvers don't suck. :D

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Ammo you can’t go wrong with quality stuff like Federal HST Hornady Critical duty 135 plus p or any of the Gold Dot

Some scoff at Critical Duty as it doesn’t expand as much but that’s by design it expands enough. But doesn’t matter what you carry if you don’t put it where it needs to go!

Good luck

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I love G9 external hollow points (not to be confused with the junky G2 RIP ammo).

Also a gimmick. Looks good in ballistic gel, but gel cracks in ways human tissue doesn't. Human tissue is more elastic and, aside from a few organs, will not have remote wounding from any of these phillip's head rounds. The solid coppers will tend to hold together and penetrate well, and the shape resists deflecting off round bone more than ball ammo does, but they remain inferior to bonded hollowpoints in all major duty calibers. The only caliber I would consider them in would be .380 or smaller self loaders where no JHP offers both penetration and expansion meeting full FBI spec but wadcutters aren't likely to reliable feed. At least you'll get the penetration and resistance to riding bone. Revolver rounds in sub-duty calibers, I'd stick with wadcutters.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I love G9 external hollow points (not to be confused with the junky G2 RIP ammo).

Also discussed here:

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Also a gimmick. Looks good in ballistic gel, but gel cracks in ways human tissue doesn't. Human tissue is more elastic and, aside from a few organs, will not have remote wounding from any of these phillip's head rounds. The solid coppers will tend to hold together and penetrate well, and the shape resists deflecting off round bone more than ball ammo does, but they remain inferior to bonded hollowpoints in all major duty calibers. The only caliber I would consider them in would be .380 or smaller self loaders where no JHP offers both penetration and expansion meeting full FBI spec but wadcutters aren't likely to reliable feed. At least you'll get the penetration and resistance to riding bone. Revolver rounds in sub-duty calibers, I'd stick with wadcutters.
    A bullet is a bullet in my opinion. I don’t want to get hit by anything traveling at over 1000 ft per second regardless of the design or weight.

Here’s an interesting video by a former Green Beret sniper that tested various rounds and calibers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A bullet is a bullet in my opinion. I don’t want to get hit by anything traveling at over 1000 ft per second regardless of the design or weight.

If a bullet is a bullet, why spend on anything other than bulk ball ammo? What's the magic of 1000 fps?

Semi-rhetorical. I've seen enough bodies and bullets in them to form a few conclusions. Everyone is free to believe whatever they like and hopefully they'll never be put in a position where it mattered.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom