• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jb142

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I bought a used Glock 19 Gen 4 talo edition this week. For years I've carried a J frame S&W for EDC. What ammo would you 9mm guys reccomend for my G19?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Fed-P9HST2-s-o__08079.1518133612.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

This is what I've carried in all of my Glocks for self defense since adopting the platform years ago. In my pistols, this round shoots to the same point if aim as my handloaded competition/practice rounds. The recoil difference is barely decernable, if at all.

Heavy for caliber 9mm shoots soft in a polymer pistol, resulting in the recoil recovery you want. This has been proven by years of competitive shooting top performers.

This round has been multiple law enforcement tested for performance, with expansion being maximum.

FYI - the performance of the +P version of this ammo is essentially the same as the standard. The only difference is the sharper recoil, which obviously is not wanted.

Lots and lots of research info out their to confirm this. Plenty of video also.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    You just need to make sure that whatever you choose runs in your gun. All my pistols run Speer Gold Dot great except for my Rami. It just will not feed the stuff, but it runs Federal HST just fine.

I really think as long as its quality, reliable ammo that will feed in your gun and goes bang every time shot placement matters more. The rest is simply preference/personal bias.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The Federal 147 HST's are probably the most vetted 9mm round right now given its amount of real world use and effectiveness but any of the rounds mentioned, if reliable and reasonably accurate in your gun will do the job if you do. I never carry anything I haven't grouped and tested for function in the specific gun I am going to use it in. If a new load that means at least a box of 50. Everyone has their own protocol on that I am sure, but it should be something.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Something to keep in mind about the 147 gr HSTs, there are generations of this ammo. Current production penetrates more but expands less in soft tissue strikes due to a change in the jacketing/skiving to increase performance through auto glass. Auto glass test is also a good indicator of performance in bone strikes. That does not make it a better or worse choice, just something to be aware of based on your needs.

I'm using 124gr +P HST in all 9mm carry at this point, which not coincidentally is our current issued round. Gold Dots, Critical Defense, all good choices as well. All will do their job if you do yours.

Top Bottom