• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rellik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I have an esee 5 and love it. If a person was worried about weight I would recomend the 4 though.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    A lot depends on what you expect to do with it. The ESEE 4 is a fantastic knife, but not a great chopper. A heavier blade like the ESEE 5 or BK-2 are better choppers, but take up more room. Get one and try it out. Then if you change your mind, sell it and try another. Let us know what you decide on.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I like the 4, plenty big enough and very light, not to mention tough. In a BOB type consideration really what are you going to be chopping???We live int eh midwest, find a smaller peice of wood 10 steps away and go with it. Besides 4" is plenty long enough to baton through a decent size hunk of wood to get to dry insides for fire making. I'd suggest stripping the coating and adding your own patina with vinegar, bbq suase or my personal fav, grapefruit. The patina will help protect the uncoated steel and it will allow you to use the carbon blade as a fire striker.
    So yes, I suggest carbon, its a bit more maintence but not much, and it will easily strike firesteels, plus its a bit easier to resharpen inthe field using whats available to you.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have the BK2 and Benchmade griptillian in the GHB. The BK2 will be getting replaced with an ESEE when I get a chance to meet up with knife lady.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree with M67 - Busse NMSFNO would be be a good choice, that or the sarsquatch.

ead1f138.jpg

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    What knife is a must have in your BOB? Stainless or carbon? Blade length? I am thinking ESEE 4 inch.

I have two Mora's, a large stainless and a smaller carbon steel in my bag. Moras are so light you won't even know its there!

5b3de81a.jpg

e210b4ec.jpg

My other blade needs I edc, a ZT0301, Strider db, and my Busse HHFSH is never far away.

Top Bottom