• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is argument over exactly what your roasted beans should look like. Some say the perfect city roast is the beans being just at the beginning of shiny, with no oil showing.

The oil should stay in the bean for the correct flavor to be in the grounds. Oil on the storage container is flavor not in your cup. They say oily beans are a sign of over roasting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never ever figured there was his much to making a good cup of joe.
    I have yet to use the new grinder. I will jump into that when I use he last of the BRC I have in hand. Then we grind.

Time is a thing with me. Unless (as in now) I get up way to early my mornings are full dealing with the terrorists. The 13 year old gets here at 6:15-ish hungry and PaPa best have some food ready to serve....:):
    I drop her at the state assigned local indoctrination center at 7:00-ish and then home to wait on the twin terrorists. I have 45 minutes until they come charging in the door again ready to eat. If I have any time to make one of these brews with the grinder that would be it.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I never ever figured there was his much to making a good cup of joe.
    I have yet to use the new grinder. I will jump into that when I use he last of the BRC I have in hand. Then we grind.

Time is a thing with me. Unless (as in now) I get up way to early my mornings are full dealing with the terrorists. The 13 year old gets here at 6:15-ish hungry and PaPa best have some food ready to serve....:):
    I drop her at the state assigned local indoctrination center at 7:00-ish and then home to wait on the twin terrorists. I have 45 minutes until they come charging in the door again ready to eat. If I have any time to make one of these brews with the grinder that would be it.

Sounds like a brutal morning schedule, but I'm sure you love every minute of it. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the coffee after you use freshly ground beans.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    There is argument over exactly what your roasted beans should look like. Some say the perfect city roast is the beans being just at the beginning of shiny, with no oil showing.

The oil should stay in the bean for the correct flavor to be in the grounds. Oil on the storage container is flavor not in your cup. They say oily beans are a sign of over roasting.

And let's not get into the fact that using paper filters blows all that to smithereens because they trap most of those oils. It's the gold mesh screen for me. In a few minutes someone will be along to inform me I'm wrong, I'm sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like a brutal morning schedule, but I'm sure you love every minute of it. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the coffee after you use freshly ground beans.

It is and yes I would not trade it off for anything I am aware of in this world.

I might give this a go in the A.M.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And let's not get into the fact that using paper filters blows all that to smithereens because they trap most of those oils. It's the gold mesh screen for me. In a few minutes someone will be along to inform me I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Yes sir. No paper filters for me either.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I won't say your wrong. You're correct about the paper filters with drip-brewed coffee.

For me, if I want good coffee, I use my press pot. I'm pretty much all-or-nothing. Either fresh-roasted, fresh-ground beans in a press pot, or else K-cups. (And that's just when I'm at home. On the road, I have to endure hotel coffee - which, admittedly, has gotten at least a little bit better over the years.)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did the whole bean then grind fresh for awhile. I just didn’t notice enough of a difference to justify the extra time and effort.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So I stopped by Cabin Coffee in Avon today. They do, in fact, roast their beans in-house (the roasting room is visible/viewable), and they take custom orders. I am currently drinking the first cups from a dark-roasted blend that was roasted for me this morning. This definitely would be too dark for some, but I really like it. With the coffee club (every 13th pound of beans free), the total price is just over $13.50 per pound.

I think I've found my new go-to coffee roaster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I stopped by Cabin Coffee in Avon today. They do, in fact, roast their beans in-house (the roasting room is visible/viewable), and they take custom orders. I am currently drinking the first cups from a dark-roasted blend that was roasted for me this morning. This definitely would be too dark for some, but I really like it. With the coffee club (every 13th pound of beans free), the total price is just over $13.50 per pound.

I think I've found my new go-to coffee roaster.

We are in Avon regularly. I may have to see about this. If this whole grind press salt your own thing pans out.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    You know, this is how meetings start.

Here's an interesting little video on the subject on an interesting little channel I watch.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQBZZ6P3aB0[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You know, this is how meetings start.

Here's an interesting little video on the subject on an interesting little channel I watch.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQBZZ6P3aB0[/video]

I just roasted some Burl Rifle Coffee...

20200130-164922.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom