• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is it. You'll never be able to go back, now.

(Waiting for mine to steep as we speak.)

I will admit you have me looking at French press but I want to make this whole grind this 2nd nature before I mad science into presses.

This thread has brought back memories of folks percolating their coffee.

Back when folks ground the coffee in the machine in the coffee isle at the market.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I will admit you have me looking at French press but I want to make this whole grind this 2nd nature before I mad science into presses.

Back when folks ground the coffee in the machine in the coffee isle at the market.

....and their kids would open the chute and run?
    Ya, I miss those. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I still remember the bags of 8 O'clock coffee beans next to that machine at the A&P.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Welcome to the Dark Side, CM. As previously stated, there's no going back now. We lied about the cookies but told the truth about the coffee.

One thing to not overlook on BRCC's site is the "partner products" section. If you like Coffee or Die I would suggest trying V-Tac Berserker and Warrior's Heart.

Also, the French press is widely available. There is a pretty decent one available at IKEA.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Just placed the order for a Mueller burr grinder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0833F31MS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Several years ago I got some friends a Mr. Coffee burr grinder, even though I have always used a blade grinder. After following this thread I decided to spring for a burr. I checked out America's Test Kitchen for their review, and the winner was around $140+. Doing some Amazon searching, found the Mueller and even though it has few reviews(seems it just came ton the market), they are all great. We'll see how it goes. And the plus, when I got to the checkout there was a $7 coupon...so total shipped cost was $62.05.

I haven't tried BRCC yet. I only drink decaf coffee. Back in college, I had some heart issues because I drank too much caffeine. So in 1998 I quit cold turkey. I quit a 6-can-per-day Mt. Dew habit, along with the 3-4 cups of coffee every day. Yeah, I still get some caffeine from chocolate, but it isn't even close to what I used to intake. I have found for a decaf coffee, I like Guatemalan grown stuff. And lately I have been grinding whole beans, and the blade grinder just isn't up to snuff.

So thanks INGO, y'all pushed me over the edge to get a burr grinder. It'll be here Monday, so Tuesday morning I get to play around and see what all the fuss is about.LOL

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just placed the order for a Mueller burr grinder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0833F31MS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Several years ago I got some friends a Mr. Coffee burr grinder, even though I have always used a blade grinder. After following this thread I decided to spring for a burr. I checked out America's Test Kitchen for their review, and the winner was around $140+. Doing some Amazon searching, found the Mueller and even though it has few reviews(seems it just came ton the market), they are all great. We'll see how it goes. And the plus, when I got to the checkout there was a $7 coupon...so total shipped cost was $62.05.

I haven't tried BRCC yet. I only drink decaf coffee. Back in college, I had some heart issues because I drank too much caffeine. So in 1998 I quit cold turkey. I quit a 6-can-per-day Mt. Dew habit, along with the 3-4 cups of coffee every day. Yeah, I still get some caffeine from chocolate, but it isn't even close to what I used to intake. I have found for a decaf coffee, I like Guatemalan grown stuff. And lately I have been grinding whole beans, and the blade grinder just isn't up to snuff.

So thanks INGO, y'all pushed me over the edge to get a burr grinder. It'll be here Monday, so Tuesday morning I get to play around and see what all the fuss is about.LOL
    I can relate with the decaf thing. I’m in the same boat. I have occasional PVC’s and caffeine tends to bring them on.

But you’re still getting some caffeine in the decaf; it has about 1/10th the amount in regular coffee. One cup of decaf can have about as much caffeine as 1 oz of chocolate, or two single servings of M&M’s. I still limit myself to one or two cups per day, and I don’t eat much chocolate. Which is too bad. Not much better flavor can be had than chasing a bite of dark chocolate with a sip of really good coffee. White chocolate doesn’t contain any caffeine. But it’s just, meh.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I can relate with the decaf thing. I’m in the same boat. I have occasional PVC’s and caffeine tends to bring them on.
    I'm guessing PVC is Premature Ventricular Contraction? I had Premature aortic contractions...it felt like my heart was stopping, and freaked me out.

But you’re still getting some caffeine in the decaf; it has about 1/10th the amount in regular coffee. One cup of decaf can have about as much caffeine as 1 oz of chocolate, or two single servings of M&M’s. I still limit myself to one or two cups per day, and I don’t eat much chocolate. Which is too bad. Not much better flavor can be had than chasing a bite of dark chocolate with a sip of really good coffee. White chocolate doesn’t contain any caffeine. But it’s just, meh.
    This right here. I don't do it often, but it is completely worth it.
    Oh, and the only thing white chocolate goes in is cheesecake.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sitting here sipping Peet’s Especial Decaf blend, nibbling on some premium dark chocolate. Heart fluttering away. Eh. **** it. This is really good. Doc says they’re harmless anyway. I’ll go hit the exercise bike after to do my penance.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with using a French press.
    I don't use one very often, but it's always seemed like I get the best extraction and richest flavor a particular coffee has to offer when using one.

As to coffee, the best I ever found in the Indy area was the Sulawesi Kalosi (sp?) that used to be sold sold by Hubbard & Cravens up to about 2008, which at the time was headquartered in Broadripple.
    (I don't know if they still are)

For some reason, they stopped selling it.

It was the richest most delicious coffee.
    It was so oily and rich it would almost clog my good burr grinder.

I really miss it, and have never found anything that matches it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of small countries like Sulawesi are subject to weather/earthquake/volcano/tsunami problems. Some year's crops don't make it or get wiped out.

I was buying Sulawesi beans from a microlot that my coffee guy purchased. When they were gone, they were gone. Dunno when or if they'll return.

Looks like Sulawesi just had another 6.0 earthquake three weeks ago.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just got an email that Bass Pro and Cabelas have partnered up With BRCC and are offering it online now and will have in stores soon. Prices online were actually $1 per box of Kcups cheaper than at BRCCs website, before any applicable discounts you might get from them of course

Top Bottom