• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I will admit you have me looking at French press but I want to make this whole grind this 2nd nature before I mad science into presses.

This thread has brought back memories of folks percolating their coffee.

Back when folks ground the coffee in the machine in the coffee isle at the market.

Percolating is sub-optimal. You don't want the water to boil. Ideal temperature is about 205 - 210 degrees F.

I measure water (6 oz per cup of coffee / per 2 T coffee beans, plus about 1oz extra to account for evaporation), then microwave just until bubbles start forming. Then I take it out and pour it in the press pot.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I can relate with the decaf thing. I’m in the same boat. I have occasional PVC’s and caffeine tends to bring them on.

But you’re still getting some caffeine in the decaf; it has about 1/10th the amount in regular coffee. One cup of decaf can have about as much caffeine as 1 oz of chocolate, or two single servings of M&M’s. I still limit myself to one or two cups per day, and I don’t eat much chocolate. Which is too bad. Not much better flavor can be had than chasing a bite of dark chocolate with a sip of really good coffee. White chocolate doesn’t contain any caffeine. But it’s just, meh.

I'm on board here with either coffee or wine. And for me, it has to be pretty bitter chocolate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Percolating is sub-optimal. You don't want the water to boil. Ideal temperature is about 205 - 210 degrees F.

I measure water (6 oz per cup of coffee / per 2 T coffee beans, plus about 1oz extra to account for evaporation), then microwave just until bubbles start forming. Then I take it out and pour it in the press pot.

I need a lab coat. And a pocket protector.....:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    French presses are da bomb. I have this brand and it rocks.

https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/kitc...tiera-french-press-8-cup-orange/p/69996540300

Though since you are grinding your own, grind it rougher than normal to reduce the sludge. Thats the only downside to a press. You get a mouthful of sludge in the last gulp if you use standard grind coffee. Its not bad if its good coffee. Its about the texture of flour.

EDIT: and that is the joy of a press. If you grind it coarser, you can just let it steep longer and get the same flavor since you dont have to worry about water only contacting the grounds on the way by.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A lot of small countries like Sulawesi are subject to weather/earthquake/volcano/tsunami problems. Some year's crops don't make it or get wiped out.

I was buying Sulawesi beans from a microlot that my coffee guy purchased. When they were gone, they were gone. Dunno when or if they'll return.

Looks like Sulawesi just had another 6.0 earthquake three weeks ago.

I wondered why they'd stop selling such great coffee.
    Your info makes sense.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have to give a +1 to BRCC.
    I placed an order a week ago for 6# of various coffee and a couple shirts, and had not heard anything from them or seen it show up, which is strange for them. I sent an email last night asking about my order and got a prompt reply first thing this morning saying that one item is backordered and they were waiting on it to be restocked prior to shipping anything.
    I replied that I like dark roast coffee and I'm a size large so feel free to substitute just about anything at their discretion. I got another reply within minutes saying they made a substitution of something the're sure I'll like, along with a tracking number. They also sent me a 20% off code for my next order.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have to give a +1 to BRCC.
    I placed an order a week ago for 6# of various coffee and a couple shirts, and had not heard anything from them or seen it show up, which is strange for them. I sent an email last night asking about my order and got a prompt reply first thing this morning saying that one item is backordered and they were waiting on it to be restocked prior to shipping anything.
    I replied that I like dark roast coffee and I'm a size large so feel free to substitute just about anything at their discretion. I got another reply within minutes saying they made a substitution of something the're sure I'll like, along with a tracking number. They also sent me a 20% off code for my next order.

Ya right... :rolleyes:

You threatened him with the Ban Hammer, didn't you?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn. I’m spoiled. So for the last 4 months or so our break room at work has been destroyed for a remodel. So the coffee service has been gone. So I’ve been buying BR to brew in a Keurig.

yesterday the break room was opened and the free coffee is flowing again. Ugh. Forgot how craptasric generic food service coffee is.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

We installed an Insta-hot. We have 210 degree water right at our kitchen sink.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    You guys have inspired me...today, my wife and I are going hunting to try and find some BRC at a store that is a dealer, then possibly pick up a French press. Question though, would you suggest whole beans or ground? If whole beans, we will need to pick up a grinder too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys have inspired me...today, my wife and I are going hunting to try and find some BRC at a store that is a dealer, then possibly pick up a French press. Question though, would you suggest whole beans or ground? If whole beans, we will need to pick up a grinder too.

I am not as deep into this mad science experiment yet to go French press but the whole bean/grinder thing is a leap up from pre-ground. I have a blade style grinder as that was all I could find on the shelf but brother it is worth the effort.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am not as deep into this mad science experiment yet to go French press but the whole bean/grinder thing is a leap up from pre-ground. I have a blade style grinder as that was all I could find on the shelf but brother it is worth the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Solofill-SOLOGRIND-Automatic-Single-Grinder/dp/B00CL1TAHU

this is the one I have, perfect for Kuerig, but can also grind a bunch. Had it 3 years now, and it’s mulched a metric **** ton of coffee beans. I really like it, especially for the price.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County

Mission complete! Picked up some Blackbeard’s Delight and a French press...best cup of coffee my wife and I have had for a longtime, definitely the best made by us at home.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Cabela's now stocks BRCC

Cabela's sent me an email Thursday saying they are now going to carry BRCC. I don't know if Cabela's prices come with that, but if you need a tactical reload in between shipments, this is one more source.
    Ton of great info in the thread. I've been using a Krups blade grinder for 25 years with a Krups dual espresso drip coffee maker. Both still work. Gold filter basket for the drip coffee. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is water.
    I had no idea how hard the water is here when my wife brought me back to Indiana. I use bottled water not softened water. I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone but for me it does. Enjoy the journey. Good coffee is one of the few perks I get to to indulge in.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Cabela's sent me an email Thursday saying they are now going to carry BRCC. I don't know if Cabela's prices come with that, but if you need a tactical reload in between shipments, this is one more source.
    Ton of great info in the thread. I've been using a Krups blade grinder for 25 years with a Krups dual espresso drip coffee maker. Both still work. Gold filter basket for the drip coffee. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is water.
    I had no idea how hard the water is here when my wife brought me back to Indiana. I use bottled water not softened water. I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone but for me it does. Enjoy the journey. Good coffee is one of the few perks I get to to indulge in.

Good catch on the water.
    That's like one major ingredient for coffee to be overlooked.

And if you don't have access to good water, maybe you're camping, you could always use beer. Lets face it, nobody's without beer. I once used beer for my Cap'n-Crunch because of no milk. Yes it was just awful but breakfast in the afternoon is the most important meal of the day.
    And when you run out of beer, you could always use.....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good catch on the water.

And if you don't have access to good water, maybe you're camping, you could always use beer. Lets face it, nobody's without beer. I once used beer for my Cap'n-Crunch because of no milk. Yes it was just awful but breakfast in the afternoon is the most important meal of the day.
    If you run out of beer you should be dead?

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Good catch on the water.

I should probably use beer in my water heater because I've gone through three of them in 15yrs or put some beer in cereal and decalcify my coffee maker once a month. I love local knowledge and helpfulness because I never would have thought of that in a million years. Rep inbound.

Top Bottom