• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inlineman

Marksman
    Apr 16, 2012
    Oldbikelvr was looking for a black powder supplier,I have dealt with the same place for about 20 or 30 years which is Deer Creek Products at Waldron. They are located about 3/4 of a mile north of the St Paul exit off of 74 on highway 421. Good people to deal with have very fair prices.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    'Old' blackpowder......

:dunno:

With/out do'n a 'search' (prolly should but.....lazy this AM,hahahaha)

What's the BEST way to get rid of/dispose of OLD blackpowder?.....safe'st way......I'm talk'n, prolly.....10 yrs old.....?

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If it hasn't gotten wet it's probably OK. If you have a BP firearm stoke it up with a lite load and touch it off. If it's been wet, I would I'd soak it in water and bury it. A local gun club can most likely dispose of it too. I have some that has to be close to 20 years old and it works good.
    Bill

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'd also bet that if it hasn't gotten wet, it's still perfectly good powder. You can either use it, pass it along to me, or sprinkle it on your lawn the next time it's raining. It should fertilize the yard a little.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If it hasn't gotten wet it's probably OK. If you have a BP firearm stoke it up with a lite load and touch it off. If it's been wet, I would I'd soak it in water and bury it. A local gun club can most likely dispose of it too. I have some that has to be close to 20 years old and it works good.
    Bill
    Why couldn't wet powder simply be dried in a food dehydrator?

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    :dunno:

With/out do'n a 'search' (prolly should but.....lazy this AM,hahahaha)

What's the BEST way to get rid of/dispose of OLD blackpowder?.....safe'st way......I'm talk'n, prolly.....10 yrs old.....?

Its probably still good unless it got damp. Personally, I would probably use it, especially if I was the original purchaser.

You could pour it out and make a long line of it, toss a match on it, then regret you didn't shoot it.

Give it to the local police department. The bomb squad would appreciate it and use it for "practice".

Sprinkle it around your yard/garden. It would add some nutrients to the soil. If you wanted to be perfectly safe follow up watering your garden or yard.

The black powder will not explode unless it is lit while contained. Otherwise, it will just burn.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :yesway:

'Preciate all'a response's......(dunno how ta 'multiquote these things,hahaha) It's never been wet/damp,in the safe ,2 jugs in a anti-static storage box.....just want'n to know I don't have 'BOMB' ,LOL! :):

If ya'll say it's stable......good 'nuff fer me....thanks....:yesway:

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm gonna be listing some BP hand guns on the general site this week if'n anyone's interstead. I got a .44 Remington and a .36 Colt. I got the balls to go with them.
    Bill

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Don't know for sure but it'll be enough to keep you shootin and kleenin for a couple of days, I'm thinkin. I'll dig those out in a week or so before I post the longguns for sale. They're behind the Christmas decorations so I'll get it all out at the same time.
    Bill

Top Bottom