• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OZESS

Shooter
    Oct 25, 2012
    valparaiso indiana
    I LIKE SHOOTING MY 50 CAL HAWKEN ON A SUNDAY WHEN I'M IN NO HURRY AND TAKE THE WHOLE DAY AND JUST SHOOT.I DO NOT LIKE THE NEW TYPE OF BLACK POWER ONES.BUT I DON'T HUNT EITHER.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I LIKE SHOOTING MY 50 CAL HAWKEN ON A SUNDAY WHEN I'M IN NO HURRY AND TAKE THE WHOLE DAY AND JUST SHOOT.I DO NOT LIKE THE NEW TYPE OF BLACK POWER ONES.BUT I DON'T HUNT EITHER.
    Seems like, if you did hunt, a 50 CAL HAWKEN would be up to the task!

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Seems like, if you did hunt, a 50 CAL HAWKEN would be up to the task!

Absolutely, .50 will git er done. My first BP was a Bass Pro $99 kit that my new son-in-law gave me for Christmas about 25 years ago. It was a hoot to build and scary to think of shooting it. We moved to the country a couple of years later and I set up a 50 yard range on the property. I couldn't get it accurate. I read, studied, joined the NMLRA and got advise but at 50 yards it threw lead in a 30" pattern. The NMLRA magazine, Muzzleblasts, had an article about "cheap" guns that were not accurate. The writer said to load the powder charge (mine was 90 gr of 2F) then, get this, pour about a teaspoon of ferrin wheat down on top of the powder. Ferrin wheat is found in the cereal isle as Cream of Wheat, just a side note, don't cook it first, OK. It's a hard grain wheat. Then pound lead and patch down the pipe and you're all set. Boys, I couldn't believe it. Without any other adjustments such as patch material, patch thickness, ball size, patch lube, or powder charge I was gettin 3" patterns. I loved it. After burning a lot of charcoal in that ol bess I was able to consistently get 2" groups. I took it deer hunting that fall and harvested a nice 8 pt buck. Haven't looked back; I only hunted with traditional BP pistol, rifle or smoothbore until I found an old Widow Maker, the notorious H&R Huntsman in .58. Now that's a deer gun. Sorry if this is too wordy. Memories are fun.
    Bill

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    The writer said to load the powder charge (mine was 90 gr of 2F) then, get this, pour about a teaspoon of ferrin wheat down on top of the powder.
    Bill

Wow . I like that tip.. So does anyone know why this would work???? And WHy ferrin Wheat????

Many thanks for the info..

Any photos of this beastie you were shooting???

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Here's the explanation on the ferrin wheat: The wheat will not burn so when the powder ignites, the wheat insulates the patch surrounding the ball so the patch remains intact. (A burned patch doesn't "grip" the lands of the rifling to impart the needed spin, so the ball rattles down the bore, leaves the barrel without any spin. It's like a golf ball hit in a tile bathroom). When the patch imparts the spin accuracy is improved a great deal. Look down range for your patches and examine them after firing both ways and you'll see. Is that clear pilgrim?
    Bill

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    PS. I never tries Wheaties or Cheerios so I can't speak to other cereals but the Cream of Wheat works and is easy to use.
    Bill

I am assuming the cheerios would be in a powdered state???? That is neat fact.. I do have to know was this a fact known in the Olden-days or when was this discovered????

Again I really want to thank you for that... It would prove interesting to see this with slow-motion photography..

old man Bill

Plinker
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Can't say for sure but my guess is that in the way back they used something other than CoW such as hornet nest wadding. I've used the nest material for wadding in a BP shotgun and it works fine so, since it doesn't burn up quickly, it works for a round ball load. Some rifles shoot fine without the extra material but when you get a sprayer you gotta do something different. I have several, ok too many, BP guns and most of them have real good barrels and rifling so I just load powder, patched ball cap, or charge the flash pan, and let er rip.
    Bill

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    What could an attendee expect to see at this event? Lots of for-sale tables? How many people? Proceeds go to anyone(the Longrifles, for exampe.

Hello, JUst a quick report from the show.. Had about 40 or 50 tables..For the most part it was more period clothing & accessories, Maybe about 25 BP guns spread about.. Also there were a fair amount of Shivs and shanks there...

Now there was some quality looking items there. There was some real art put in more then a few of these items.. There were 5 or so very very nice long rifles, that were custom works with high prices to boot... There was a couple of nice Walker repros there.

I went strickly for the guns, and was running on a strick time table.. So I was a little dissapointed But I was tempted on more then one of the accessories and knives...

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    To who may be looking for a nice BP cannon

Saw a great little cannon on e-bay, Dominck Carpenter made some really nice cannons in the day.. And I have always been fond of his french 75s..

On the down side this is in Canada so shipping will be a killing,.. And I do not know what the custom folks may do.. Could be a real cluster-you-know-what or it could sail right through... I almost wish he was selling this in the states where you could drive and pick it up..

And this cannon was made to shoot balls, not stated so that the e-bay police will freak out...

Dom C French 75 Black Powder Signal Cannon 1 4 Scale | eBay

spec4

Master
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone have experience with flintlocks from India? Found a site where they sell them without a vent hole and suggest you have a gunsmith drill the hole and test fire.

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Anyone have experience with flintlocks from India? Found a site where they sell them without a vent hole and suggest you have a gunsmith drill the hole and test fire.

I have heard many pros and cons on these.. But for me I have to ask do you really want to place an explosive device in front of your face that the manufacturer did not produce with enough confidence to complete the job.. Oh sure I have seen people who have completed them and they shoot.. But I would rather pay a few more dollars for a gun that was sold as an operational gun that was meant to be shot..

But they are cheaper.. I myself just have so many eyes and fingers

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have heard many pros and cons on these.. But for me I have to ask do you really want to place an explosive device in front of your face that the manufacturer did not produce with enough confidence to complete the job.. Oh sure I have seen people who have completed them and they shoot.. But I would rather pay a few more dollars for a gun that was sold as an operational gun that was meant to be shot..

But they are cheaper.. I myself just have so many eyes and fingers
    It might not be about that. Could have to do with import export statutes.

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    It might not be about that. Could have to do with import export statutes.

Yes you are right its all about the import rules, when you import firearms (i e Uberti,) they have to meet certain rules and standards.. Those ones from India like that are being imported as Wall hangers.. Nothing wrong with that... But there are a lot less requirements on them.. Hey I have seen them shoot... If the shooter is happy.... I am happy... But I will stand back Just in case

Top Bottom