• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm assuming that this will happen if the law passes.

I sure hope so! Would be great for the LTCH system to stay in place and be an optional service to those who want to be recognized as 'fit for carry' outside of the great Hoosier state. This would also drastically cut down on LTCH applications making LTCH turnaround (theoretically) much faster. I don't know if people are still waiting months and months for theirs or not. I'm glad my turnaround was super fast when I got mine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I sure hope so! Would be great for the LTCH system to stay in place and be an optional service to those who want to be recognized as 'fit for carry' outside of the great Hoosier state. This would also drastically cut down on LTCH applications making LTCH turnaround (theoretically) much faster. I don't know if people are still waiting months and months for theirs or not. I'm glad my turnaround was super fast when I got mine.

Well, if the queue is months, I probably better get the process started soon to get mine before August.

Fantix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Lawrence Co
    Well, if the queue is months, I probably better get the process started soon to get mine before August.

My understanding, if you start renewal process before your current one expires, you are go to. I just carried my old license along with paperwork show I submitted for a renewal. Though that's been a few years ago. Now I have my lifetime.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.

Follow this thread for a general idea of what to expect as far as your wait time goes: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/6875-current-ltch-wait.html

Take note that the thread was created in 2008 so go to the last page and work backwards if you want a better idea of how long people are waiting now. It should be much quicker now. (Weeks, not months)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Heck yeah! I won't even be mad I gave the state all the money for a life time license... Constitutional carry! It is the way it should be!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Why can the state not simply pass legislation prohibiting any state or municipal agency from creating or maintaining a database of LTCH holders?

Similarly (as Missouri did), why can the state not simply pass legislation prohibiting the sharing of such a database with any entity outside of the State (including the Fed.gov)?

The LTCH isn't the problem. The problem is people misusing information regarding the LTCH.

Right. And the NSA will never misuse the data they collect either.

If no agency maintains a database, how will you know a permit is valid?
    See where this goes. You don't have to worry about being "valid" because you are a citizen exercising your rights not being checked by the authorities (no offense to any LEOs here) for your proper papers.

Sometimes principle can't outweigh practical. If you gain one freedom by sacrificing more freedom, your net is a loss of freedom. I want constitutional carry, but a provision must be made for states that aren't as progressive minded as Indiana.

Of course we all agree that is the ideal goal: constitutional carry with an optional LTCH for whatever other concerns may be presented, including reciprocity.

And I hear where you are coming from. If forced to choose between constitutional carry with no permit available, or the current system, it's a matter of priorities as neither system is perfect. I'm similarly often reluctant to give up my tax deductions unless we wipe them all out at the same time.

I would go for the constitutional carry in this case because we have the momentum in much of the nation to send gun rights in the right direction. We should snatch that up and run with it. Just my opinion.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I still haven't seen some sort of answer to this question on if this bill passes and we do away with the LTCH all together, where does that leave us with travel to other states. Yes I saw that they are trying to add something to the bill, but say it passes as is and Con. Carry becomes law in Indiana. Do we lose reciprocity with all the states we now have it with?

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Hopefully it gets ammended to retain the LTCH. Alaska is constitution carry but still offers a license to those to want it for reciprocity sake.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I still haven't seen some sort of answer to this question on if this bill passes and we do away with the LTCH all together, where does that leave us with travel to other states. Yes I saw that they are trying to add something to the bill, but say it passes as is and Con. Carry becomes law in Indiana. Do we lose reciprocity with all the states we now have it with?

If they do away with the LTCH as part of constitutional carry, you aren't going to have a valid license (as the bill sits now) so you won't be able to to carry anywhere that requires a permit. You could always do FL or UT, but you would lose quite a few states (Michigan being the closest) that don't recognize non-resident permits.

ETA:

I think constitutional carry along with leaving the existing LTCH in place for those desiring reciprocity is the way to go. I don't want to see the LTCH change either.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here's my email to my rep if you want to use it.

I would appreciate your efforts to kill HB1029 regarding driver license branding for licensed handgun carriers. It's a solution in search of a problem. Rep. Gutwein says it's for officer safety and as I explained to his LA and your LA that the information is available to law enforcement when they run your plates. The database already provides that info to the officer.

Meanwhile, this awful bill would let every person that sees my driver license know a very private and vital piece of information about me that they have zero business knowing. Bank tellers, retail clerks (have to show ID with a credit card), hotel desk clerks; the list is endless, will see that I am a licensed handgun carrier. What will a police officer from a less free state like New Jersey do if I'm pulled over there? Cuff me and search my car? It's just a misguided bill and it needs to go away. I voiced my concerns with your LA, Gutwein's and Soliday's offices, too.

Next, I would appreciate your support of HB's 1143, 1244 and 1144. 1144 needs to be amended to include a provision for reciprocity with other states, however. That is absolutely critical and I understand Rep. Lucas has such language drafted.

Thanks in advance and I wish you a happy new year and a productive legislative session.

Respectfully,

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If they do away with the LTCH as part of constitutional carry, you aren't going to have a valid license (as the bill sits now) so you won't be able to to carry anywhere that requires a permit. You could always do FL or UT, but you would lose quite a few states (Michigan being the closest) that don't recognize non-resident permits.

ETA:

I think constitutional carry along with leaving the existing LTCH in place for those desiring reciprocity is the way to go. I don't want to see the LTCH change either.

I think FL would still be an option but you can't get a UT permit without first having your Indiana LTCH.

Still, there is less to depend upon other states for interstate carry if we have the LTCH available even with constitutional carry. With the LTCH, we only have to depend on reciprocity. Without it, in addition to reciprocity we have to depend on a very limited number of state agencies (one?) that issue non-resident carry permits without requiring your home state's permit.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I think constitutional carry along with leaving the existing LTCH in place for those desiring reciprocity is the way to go. ....

+1. Yep. Travel to Michigan a lot. All the benefits, none of the disadvantages.

Edit: Didn't see this in the thread, but I wonder how this bill would/wouldn't affect GFZs in Indiana. Would we still have places the constitution wouldn't apply?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom