• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We've got it pretty good in Indiana. Our gun laws are better than most states, including Texas. Constitutional carry is only great when everyone else is on the same page. I just don't see the country going that route anytime soon.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So, for anyone who currently holds an LTCH (especially a lifetime LTCH): what does constitutional carry and the elimination of the LTCH gain?

For anyone who ever, in their entire life, has to cross outside of Indiana state lines: what does constitutional carry and the elimination of the LTCH lose?

Loss of reciprocity does not outweigh the gain of constitutional carry, at least, not for anyone who ever has reason or desire ever to be outside of Indiana.

I have a lifetime LTCH and have had reason and desire to be outside of Indiana.

You needn't explain the consequences to me; I will experience them also.

But I don't support government laws or mandates or taxes only based on what works for me.

Constitutional carry is a step in the right direction for everyone, including the protection of society. I'll embrace it.

Edit: have you also thought about future consequences such as the proposal to put the LTCH on the drivers license? The fact the database of permit holders exists and is certainly accessible to the federal government?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have a lifetime LTCH and have had reason and desire to be outside of Indiana.

You needn't explain the consequences to me; I will experience them also.

But I don't support government laws or mandates or taxes only based on what works for me.

Constitutional carry is a step in the right direction for everyone, including the protection of society. I'll embrace it.

I consider myself part of "everyone", and constitutional carry with no provision for reciprocity is a huge freaking leap BACKWARD for me.

Also: other than saving $125, constitutional carry is a minimal step from what currently exists for Indiana. Losing reciprocity everywhere outside of Indiana would be a Pyrrhic victory indeed.

Edit: have you also thought about future consequences such as the proposal to put the LTCH on the drivers license? The fact the database of permit holders exists and is certainly accessible to the federal government?

Those two issues are completely separate from the one at hand, and should both be fought.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, for anyone who currently holds an LTCH (especially a lifetime LTCH): what does constitutional carry and the elimination of the LTCH gain?

For anyone who ever, in their entire life, has to cross outside of Indiana state lines: what does constitutional carry and the elimination of the LTCH lose?

Loss of reciprocity does not outweigh the gain of constitutional carry, at least, not for anyone who ever has reason or desire ever to be outside of Indiana.

:thumbsup:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Those two issues are completely separate from the one at hand, and should both be fought.

But with no LTCH requirement, there is no database to misuse. (there would potentially be a database for those of us who chose to have an LTCH that was valid out of state of course. That could be removed later if more states take up constitutional carry)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Sometimes principle can't outweigh practical. If you gain one freedom by sacrificing more freedom, your net is a loss of freedom. I want constitutional carry, but a provision must be made for states that aren't as progressive minded as Indiana.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sometimes principle can't outweigh practical. If you gain one freedom by sacrificing more freedom, your net is a loss of freedom. I want constitutional carry, but a provision must be made for states that aren't as progressive minded as Indiana.
    I agree the provision should be made, of course. But even under current circumstances you have no guarantee or even knowledge that state reciprocities will stay the same.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    But with no LTCH requirement, there is no database to misuse. (there would potentially be a database for those of us who chose to have an LTCH that was valid out of state of course. That could be removed later if more states take up constitutional carry)

Why can the state not simply pass legislation prohibiting any state or municipal agency from creating or maintaining a database of LTCH holders?

Similarly (as Missouri did), why can the state not simply pass legislation prohibiting the sharing of such a database with any entity outside of the State (including the Fed.gov)?

The LTCH isn't the problem. The problem is people misusing information regarding the LTCH.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Has 1144 been assigned a committee yet?

If it is judiciary, I know the chairman there is in the heart of INGO country.*

*Ah, now I see Public Policy Committee! Call and write today!

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Pardon my ignorance on how local/state law works, but assuming this bill has support and is passed how long (realistically) would it be until it was law? This thread grew a lot and quickly since I was following it on page 2, and I've skimmed the comments and it seems this has a chance at becoming a reality, correct?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Pardon my ignorance on how local/state law works, but assuming this bill has support and is passed how long (realistically) would it be until it was law? This thread grew a lot and quickly since I was following it on page 2, and I've skimmed the comments and it seems this has a chance at becoming a reality, correct?

Typically, they're effective in July later on this year.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's too early to know how far this will go. If it gets traction and the mom's needing action get wind of it, they'll throw an Oprah sized hissy. My 4 year LTCH is up in August and I was planning to re-up with the lifetime. Asuming they'll keep issuing, constitutional carry or not, I'll still get the lifetime. I need the reciprocity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's too early to know how far this will go. If it gets traction and the mom's needing action get wind of it, they'll throw an Oprah sized hissy. My 4 year LTCH is up in August and I was planning to re-up with the lifetime. Asuming they'll keep issuing, constitutional carry or not, I'll still get the lifetime. I need the reciprocity.

The only fly in the ointment, according to my reading is, this bill rips all that existing LTCH language out. So, I don't know if all of our current LTCHs will still remain valid afterwards.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only fly in the ointment, according to my reading is, this bill rips all that existing LTCH language out. So, I don't know if all of our current LTCHs will still remain valid afterwards.
    I'm assuming that this will happen if the law passes.
    There is an amendment being drafted to continue with the current LTCH for reciprocity, but not require a license to carry in state.

Top Bottom