Bill of sale: What do you do when selling a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    When I buy, I write everything down with a fat black crayon, and I lie.

I use the name "John Dillinger". No one ever questions it..............

And I AM John Dillinger. Especially when I don't take my meds.............

By the way, the "g" in Dillinger is soft in the pronunciation. Not hard, such as the "g" in "derringer."

One more thing the national media screwed up....................

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sell firearms?

I am doing my part to insure that those evil guns don't land in the wrong hands, by securely having as many as I can in my possession. If I sell them some undesirable may get hold of them and do something truly indecent with them.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    if you are both law abiding citizens, I dont think a BOS is a big deal. I like to do it, esp if Im a seller to explicitly document what im selling...this is strictly to protect myself from the litigious society we live in. Someone having my name and address isnt information they cant find in MANY other legal ways. Now if I showed up for a FTF and the guy was incredibly sketchy, I would walk away from the deal.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Buying and selling guns is not a humorous subject

When I buy, I write everything down with a fat black crayon, and I lie. I use the name "John Dillinger". No one ever questions it.............. And I AM John Dillinger. Especially when I don't take my meds............. By the way, the "g" in Dillinger is soft in the pronunciation. Not hard, such as the "g" in "derringer." One more thing the national media screwed up....................

I know this is an attempt at humor by sparkyfender but personally I think buying and/or trading any type of gun is a very serious issue for both parties and should not be taken lightly.

I always ask to see the other parties driver license to prove they are a resident of the State of Indiana which is a requirement for the deal. Secondly I always write a receipt with both parties name and address and the gun model and maybe even the serial number. This protects both parties and gives us a person to call if need be in the future if an issue comes up concerning the gun.

If I came to a face to face meeting and I did not feel comfortable about who I was dealing with I would say as much and walk away; making a few bucks or getting a new gun is not worth going to jail or being sued in the future.

When I had my FFL up in Elkhart I refused to sell a gun to two people I worked with as I thought neither one was playing with a full deck. One went right out and purchased the gun at a local gun store but I could sleep at night.

Buying, selling and trading firearms, especially hand guns is not a silly game and should never be treated as anything but serious business. Just my humble opinion. :twocents:

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    When buying or selling a firearm I do everything that the law requires, nothing more, nothing less.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Goldie - first off - Holy Thread Ressurection!

Now down to the business at hand
    1) I am a reputable person. If someone requested that I sign a Bill of Sale, I would, without hesitation.
    2) I have purchased all of my firearms either from dealers that I believe to be reputable or (lately) from people that I believe to be reputable :ingo:
    3) In Indiana - we have the RIGHT to do deals face to face with anyone that we have no reason to believe is not a "proper person". We are allowed to do deals like this on a "handshake basis". That is my preferred method of conducting business. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but that's the way I like to buy ANYTHING. Why should guns be different than any other purchase? I have done deals with several fine INGO members and ALWAYS been happy with them (Archbishop, Tradertator, Dieselman, kalboy to name a few). All have been totally cool about it, met, chatted for a few, swapped cash for goods, all was good.
    4) That said, if someone wanted me to provide ID, to show that I was proper, I gladly would.

5) I don't pay EGGREGIOUSLY low prices for things - if something is a "steal" ... well it might be a "STEAL"! A good, but fair deal is one thing. Gouging is another.

This is just common sense business. And I cannot imagine a cop having a problem with that. Do your due diligence - be honest, straight up and don't worry. If that manner of buying or selling concerns you, then by all means, do business with a dealer. There is a price for that too, since they have to make a profit. There are plenty of cool dealers - like a number of INGO sponsors for example.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Depends on the situation. If the person is another State then the firearm will be transfered to them through a Dealer in their area. If I don't know the buyer personally, then the firearm is going through a Dealer. However if I do know the buyer personally to be of good character then I'll just sell the firearm to them without anyone else being involved.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If my name, is on the firearm, (origanal purchase, 4473 form) then I REQUIRE, DL, LTCH, and a bill of sale, for my records, as someone else said, to protect myself, in case something else happens in the future. I still have a BOS, from when I sold a 4473 handgun, 30 years ago, when on AD USMC, and sold it to a friend of mine.....

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would flash someone my drivers license, just to let them know I'm from Indiana. None of this "oh here's my personal information, Mr. Stranger. Please feel free to write it down and keep it forever!"

I've passed up deals on here because people think its a good idea to keep tabs on who buys their guns. I don't sell guns on here to people that want paperwork or anything.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I would flash someone my drivers license, just to let them know I'm from Indiana. None of this "oh here's my personal information, Mr. Stranger. Please feel free to write it down and keep it forever!"

I've passed up deals on here because idiots think its a good idea to keep tabs on who buys their guns. I don't sell guns on here to people that want paperwork or anything.

:+1: Yeah, I'm not giving anyone my personal information unless I'm in their (reputable) place of business.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I sleep well every night.

DL and LTCH is all I ask for.
    The DL to make sure I'm conducting an in-state sale to someone old enough, and the LTCH (when living in a state that has it) for handguns because I'm comfortable with the background checks the gubment requires. No records, just a look-see.
    I don't think I'd bother with the LTCH for a long gun, but I've never sold one.....yet.
    My only fear is getting sucked into a sting where an out-of-state "buyer" puts his boot on my neck as I'm merandized. I've heard of such fishing going on at gun shows.

I am, however, terrified of that the set of steak knives and a screwdriver I sold in a garage sale in 1992 will come back to haunt me. I never asked for proof of residency or criminal background and my DNA is all over them.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Zombie thread .... must be getting close to Haloween.

Showing my ignorance ... what's the requirement in Illinois? I used to live there and back in the day someone said something to me once about being required to keep a BOS for at least ten years. Sounded fishy but decided not to take the chance and vowed never to sell a gun ... only buy. :D

To sum it up ... what does the law require in Indiana at this moment in time? for handgun? for long guns?

(I know Class III and NFA are a whole different ball of wax.)

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    indiana requires that you must not knowingly sell a firearm, of any kind, to a felon or otherwise disqualified person (been adjudicated by a court as to have mental deficiencies).

federal law requires that all nfa items go through a class iii ffl and payment of 200 dollar tax. etc.

that's it. anything else is for your own piece of mind or tinfoil paranoia. either way.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I ask to see the DL, but I won't record the DL# on Bill of Sale, and prefer my DL# not be on a bill of sale for a private transaction, though I have no problem letting them visually confirm.

Usually: gun serial #, make/model/caliber, price, note that "DL visually confirmed", buyers name/address, LTCH # if the buyer is comfortable with that.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Once you are satisfied with the buyer meeting the legal requirements, no paper trail of any kind required for a private sale in Indiana, huh? Good to know that it is the way it should be. I knew I liked this state for a reason. Like I said, I don't sell my guns (did post one for sale online recently but I wasn't too serious) but it's good info to know.

Top Bottom