• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I was at the mall today in Greenwood. Went to Dick's and as I was looking at their rifles just to see how overpriced they were a worker asked me if he could help me. I replied probably not but whats the difference in the remington 770 and the remington 700. He checks with another worker then proceedes to tell me that the 770 is the same gun that remington made special for Dick's and it was just the OD green stock that was different. everything else was the same. I could barely hold myself together. I told him he needed more training on firearms they sell and giving someone an honest "I dont know" is better than making up answers.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    so what is the difference

The 770 is a lower cost, economic version of the 700. The one that I had very briefly, had a very sloppy action, and was incapable of upgrades in stock or trigger. I have heard of similar experiences that are very similar to my own. Anything that could be made of molded plastic parts is. They say that they are maintaining accuracy, and although I don't remember the specifics, I remember not being happy with it.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Although some of the employees may be a little gun ignorant, a lot of stores have very well informed lodge employees. Also, they may be a tad expensive, but they are WAY cheaper than Cablea's, Bass Pro, or any other box store.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I understand that they usually dont have the most informed personell. I dont know much myself about them which is why I was asking to see if he could tell me anything I didnt. Then he comes up with its a "special one for Dick's and its the same except the stock." I at least new it was a different gun model that all stores carry.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Gander, Dicks, etc are GREAT places to go and LOOK at guns, but nothing beats getting them from a local guy, even if you are only using him for FFL. Example: Taurus pt1911ar Gander price: $850, Gunbroker, $609-$629. Then $25 for FFL transfer, you still have ~$200 for extra mags, ammo, etc. Some people would argue "What if the gun is messed up?" Well, warranty is a MANUFACTURER issue, not a RETAILER issue.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A couple of weeks ago I was in the Dicks at Metropolis (Plainfield). I told the guy at the gun counter that I was thinking about getting a shotgun for home defense. He said "well, I'd recomend the Protector (I think that's what he said) but we're out of stock right now. I asked "is that the one from China?" and he said yes. I told him I was thinking more along the lines of a Remington 870. He turned without another word and walked away to another section of the store. Needless to say I didn't buy a shotgun that day.
    Damn, I miss Gallyans.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As a gun guy, I would never go into a store, whether it be a gun shop or big box store and ask for advice regarding a firearm purchase. Most of the folks there are just trying to make a sale. Even old timers with a lot of experience will toss out a line of b.s. I've gone into gun shops and spotted something I wanted behind the counter and had to listen to some b.s. about how great the product is. I bit my tongue, but felt like saying, "You already made the sale, all you have to do is ring me up!" With the internet, there is no reason not to do your homework before a major purchase.

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    Don't you just cry when you hear some of the stories about the BIG stores? Most don't even bother to train their personnel about anything , they jsut seem to put a body there to occupy space.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Anytime you sell or trade anything to a store or even a shop. They will mark up the price. It would be pointless for them to sale the gun, for what they gave you for it. They have to make money somehow. From what I have seen, stores and shops will make more off a used gun rather then a new one.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    As a gun guy, I would never go into a store, whether it be a gun shop or big box store and ask for advice regarding a firearm purchase. Most of the folks there are just trying to make a sale. Even old timers with a lot of experience will toss out a line of b.s. I've gone into gun shops and spotted something I wanted behind the counter and had to listen to some b.s. about how great the product is. I bit my tongue, but felt like saying, "You already made the sale, all you have to do is ring me up!" With the internet, there is no reason not to do your homework before a major purchase.

Not just with guns, this is why I buy almost EVERYTHING online. If I want to buy a product that is otherwise crappy to tinker with, I dont want to listen to BS about how good it is, (or how crappy it is). If I am buying something that is really amazing, I dont want to have some moron say something completely untrue about it. If I am spending my hard earned money, I know what I am buying. Pure and simple. If I want opinions on something, I research it so I get valid opinions.

Not every place is bad though. Growing up my grandfather worked at a Big R around here and would buy almost every new rifle that came in, just so he could learn about it, learn how to break it down, etc. That and he just wanted to buy every rifle that came in :D

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "As a gun guy" ? :dunno: I didn't ask him for advice. I already had a good idea of what I wanted. He just didn't want to go to the trouble of getting it down for me. Probably time for his smoke break. Anyway, I've already done my research and the internet is no substitute for hands-on.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The online pricing might be better on some things, but issues or returns are a whole new ballgame. The big advantage of dealing with a brick & mortar, I can walk in and address any problems when they're open. Each way has pros & cons.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I was at Gander in Greenwood and had to educate one of their employees on what a DAO variant of a USP was. He said that I wasn't correct even after I showed him on an actual pistol they had in their used section. Almost beats the "dealer" at the Indy gunshow that told me that my pistol was a beretta 86 when it clearly said 84 on the side. :)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I dunno... I was MC sports in Muncie a while back, right after they saw the light and started carrying guns and hunting/fishing stuff, and the guy behind the counter was probably no Sam Colt, but he didn't try to come off like one, either. And he DID seem to know what he was talking about. AND I heard him say those oh so rare words, "I don't know", when he didn't, instead of just making up some BS. I was impressed. Favorably.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    "As a gun guy" ? :dunno: I didn't ask him for advice. I already had a good idea of what I wanted. He just didn't want to go to the trouble of getting it down for me. Probably time for his smoke break. Anyway, I've already done my research and the internet is no substitute for hands-on.

Actually I was referring to the OP. The reference to being a gun guy is to contrast that from being a complete novice. A complete novice might need some basic advice, when he says something like, "Should I get a .30-06 bolt action rifle with a 6-18x scope as a home defense weapon?" In your case however, there was no excuse for the salesman to walk away, unless of course, if there is something you are leaving out of your story.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    A couple of weeks ago I was in the Dicks at Metropolis (Plainfield). I told the guy at the gun counter that I was thinking about getting a shotgun for home defense. He said "well, I'd recomend the Protector (I think that's what he said) but we're out of stock right now. I asked "is that the one from China?" and he said yes. I told him I was thinking more along the lines of a Remington 870. He turned without another word and walked away to another section of the store. Needless to say I didn't buy a shotgun that day.
    Damn, I miss Gallyans.

:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

You really think they would just lie? You think it's just their salesmen or do you thing the people who own, run, are really managing those big stores would really just flat out lie to the people most responsible for their success or failure/their customers? Just to make a sale?

Good to know DNR is so confindent in them to consider gun salesment and lobbiest true "stake holders" and solicit them for advice on what is best for me as a hunter.

Do you think they would suggest some one buy a 30-30 because they "heard" it was going to be a legal deer gun by the time the season started or may be a 45-70, or what ever slow movers they happened to have in stock?

Top Bottom