• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I was driving to work this morning and got stopped. I pulled over to the side of the road and rolled down the window...

"Good morning sir I got you goin a little fast back there, license and registration please"

"Ok no problem, by the way my pistol is in the console next to me where my wallet is."

"Ok just be careful and leave it in there. Let me see your permit also."

I hand him all of the paperwork and he says.."Lifetime huh..ok"

Goes to the car does his thing, comes back..."I went ahead and dropped the speed down a little bit so you could have a warning, have a nice day."

"Thank you sir I appreciate that."

I just thought that was awful cool of him to do so...plus I went to school with his wife whether he realized it or not. One of the rare times when all goes well.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I was driving to work this morning and got stopped. I pulled over to the side of the road and rolled down the window...

"Good morning sir I got you goin a little fast back there, license and registration please"

"Ok no problem, by the way my pistol is in the console next to me where my wallet is."

"Ok just be careful and leave it in there. Let me see your permit also."

I hand him all of the paperwork and he says.."Lifetime huh..ok"

Goes to the car does his thing, comes back..."I went ahead and dropped the speed down a little bit so you could have a warning, have a nice day."

"Thank you sir I appreciate that."

I just thought that was awful cool of him to do so...plus I went to school with his wife whether he realized it or not. One of the rare times when all goes well.

:rockwoot:

And always a good thing to not make any comments about how good his wife was in HS...throwing it out there. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sounds like a true professional LEO there. Nice work Deputy :yesway:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The only thing I can add is that perhaps it is better to mention the permit before mentioning the firearm.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The only thing I can add is that perhaps it is better to mention the permit before mentioning the firearm.

Depending how you tell the LEO that you have a gun , and how you act while doing so, I dont think he/she will freak out even if you dont tell that you have a licence prior to that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Good encounter. While some advise not informing, given that your pistol and wallet are right next to each other in the console, this was a wise move.

You might consider in the future having the license and reg. already out, so you don't have to inform, but that's a personal choice and nothing wrong with continuing to do things as you did.

Thanks for posting!

Blessings,
    Bill

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You should have asked for his name and call the sheriff office to tell them he did a good job.
    That way you could also tell us his name here in INGO. :)

I guess most of the people do that (ask the officer's name and badge number) when they are not happy with the way he does his job.
    I think we should also do it when he does a great job to let his boss know and other gun owners in the case of a gun related thing like this one.

Just a thought.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    FYI, Most police car computers will tell the officer if the registered owner has a permit issued to him.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Ours does. It is acknowledged through dispatch that the registered owner has a permit. I guess that it is the softwear program that crossmatches the plate and owner. Have no reason to lie.

Last edited:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    You might consider in the future having the license and reg. already out,....

When I began driving many years ago, we had a close family friend who was an FL Highway Patrol officer, he always told me number one thing to make a traffic stop go as smoothly as possible is have your Licence, Registration, & Insurance out before the officer gets to your window. Not sure if that holds true in Indiana as well, but he said all the officers around where I grew up really apreciated and "gave a little" to those that were prepared.

Oh and he also said to always call the officer Sir as many times as possible, but I think that was just him wanting an ego boost. I use officer now days, since I am not a frightened high school kid anymore.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Good encounter. While some advise not informing, given that your pistol and wallet are right next to each other in the console, this was a wise move.

You might consider in the future having the license and reg. already out, so you don't have to inform, but that's a personal choice and nothing wrong with continuing to do things as you did.

Thanks for posting!

Blessings,
    Bill

i agree twice

Top Bottom