• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You stated that you wouldn't do what you have heard the horror stories say some leo's are doing to law abiding citizens with weapons. You also stated that you would personally like to know if someone was armed because that honesty would cause you to relax a bit (as it is probably true that most people who tell you they have a permit and are armed are probably NOT planning on shooting you). You did NOT state that this was the law or that you would be a jerk if they didn't.

I don't see any reason why this would give you bad reps.

I don't usually talk to your normal citizen, even at car stops. It would be refreshing to have that encounter.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't usually talk to your normal citizen, even at car stops. It would be refreshing to have that encounter.

Your messeg folder is full so you can't get any new messeges.

I got yours, no biggy but you better send it again.;) And delete some old ones if you want them to reply.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    FYI, Most police car computers will tell the officer if the registered owner has a permit issued to him.

Ours does. It is acknowledged through dispatch that the registered owner has a permit.

For the record, Indiana is a shall issue state. We don't have to get "permission" from anyone prior to carrying. We just have to pay a tax and file with a clean record and they have to issue the license. Therefore, we don't have "permits", we have licenses.

I was told by an Evansville cop a couple years ago while checking my business after an alarm that they know by the plate if you have a license and you should tell them up front.

:laugh: "We already know everything...so you can just admit it already". If every cop knew you had a license simply by checking your plate, why, exactly, would you need to then tell them up front what they, "already know"? That doesn't make much sense.

To me, if I am a Police Officer and I have been talking to you for a couple of minutes and you have had the opportunity to let me know you were carrying and you didn't until you have no other choice...it would be frustrating. I could see why they get upset and want to search you to see what else you may not have told them about.

That line of reasoning is a bit disturbing to me. If the officer, who is an equal to myself, doesn't tell me he's carrying, and I see his handgun on his hip, does that give me the right, as his equal, to search him and see what else he has on him/in his car that he hasn't told me about? I'm not in favor of turning officers into a new aristocracy with more rights than the people of the United States have. We all have the right to keep and bear arms as well as the right to privacy.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    lashicoN - For the record, Indiana is a shall issue state. We don't have to get "permission" from anyone prior to carrying. We just have to pay a tax and file with a clean record and they have to issue the license. Therefore, we don't have "permits", we have licenses.

I stand corrected, please excuse me. I am old school. They were called permits when I started.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    *snip*

I can do it legally, I am not a criminal, I have respect for the law and those that uphold it...I am proud to tell them I am exercising my rights.

You also have a right to not talk to them about anything, especially if it's outside of the business that you're currently conducting.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

You should, you seem to have a good attitude and I'm sure most of your encounters would be just fine. It helps with the whole community policing thing, which was just getting big in my dept. (in my badge wearing days) back in the early 90s. Obviously you don't want to get into more than just brief exchanges of information with everyone (especially on what we used to call 10-8, break days), and you will run into your jerks as well, but it is good to get some feedback from your community. You never know when it can help.

Now this obviously does not pertain to you but...

IMO what I have been seeing in a lot of officers lately is this attitude that their own safety and/or their own viewpoints are more important than those of the citizens they are supposed to be protecting. So much so we have been seeing all these horror stories about rogue cops. Making up laws at best and at worst trying to enforce them. We used to call it "wyatt earp" syndrome (or judge dredd "I AM THE LAW").

Being a police officer is a privilege and carries with it a great responsibility and duty. The simple fact, and it may sound harsh, is that neither an officer's safety or his personal viewpoints are more important than those rights protected by the constitution of our great nation. It is this reason that makes the "job" much more than your 9-5 as well as much more dangerous.

In a recent conversation I had with someone, I think he phrased as good as I have ever heard it put.

It was remarked: "...as harsh as it sounds, i believe our freedoms and liberties are more important than the lives of our police officers. i respect them because they perform the extremely difficult task of exercising their power to maintain order in accordance to the generous civil liberties enumerated in our bill of rights. they must effectively fight crime without infringing on the rights of their fellow citizens, and it inevitably can become dangerous. however, that's their job.

like our armed forces, police officers serve the interest of our people, states and nation as a whole. if we valued the lives of our soldiers over our values and freedoms, this country would not exist as it does today.. if at all. they earn our respect and gratitude by doing their job properly. when they don't, it's our duty as citizens to serve as a check to their power whether that means documenting abuses or defeating baseless criminal charges in the court of law."

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Ours does. It is acknowledged through dispatch that the registered owner has a permit. I guess that it is the softwear program that crossmatches the plate and owner. Have no reason to lie.

Another reason why we need true Constitutional carry and not a fraudulent licensing system. Why is it any business of the peace officer if I have a LTCH?

+1 to the officer in the OP though :ingo:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Another reason why we need true Constitutional carry and not a fraudulent licensing system. Why is it any business of the peace officer if I have a LTCH?

+1 to the officer in the OP though :ingo:

Now at the other end of the spectrum the same system tells us if the person any warrants, allerts or if we should use universal precautions. Like I said, I really don't care if the person has a license and the computer alerts me. To me it means the person should have his head squared away better than most people I run into.

Top Bottom