• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    IDACS really has nothing to do with the permit info. Our program links us to runs, run history, vehicles, vehicle history, people within our county. To get into IDACS is a seperate function supported by the same system (we don't leave one for the other). Our system uses our own data base that we have accumulated. We can receive pictures (mugshots).

Last edited:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I was under the impression that you had to tell an officer if you had a gun on you or in the vehicle. Plus I was always told to just sit still and be cool and not be fumbling around in the vehicle because from their vantage point they don't know if you're stashing dope or getting a gun or whatever.

I don't remember the deputys name, he is a K-9 officer, married a high school friend of mine...I met him once before but I don't think he remembered me. Young guy bout 27 or 28.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was under the impression that you had to tell an officer if you had a gun on you or in the vehicle. Plus I was always told to just sit still and be cool and not be fumbling around in the vehicle because from their vantage point they don't know if you're stashing dope or getting a gun or whatever.

I don't remember the deputys name, he is a K-9 officer, married a high school friend of mine...I met him once before but I don't think he remembered me. Young guy bout 27 or 28.
    He was not telling you the truth, just what he wanted the truth to be. In Indiana you are not required to inform a cop if you are carrying, in fact, as we have seen here on INGO numerous times, you are better off not informing them. That way they won't steal your property and treat you like a criminal.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Good encounter. While some advise not informing, given that your pistol and wallet are right next to each other in the console, this was a wise move.

You might consider in the future having the license and reg. already out, so you don't have to inform, but that's a personal choice and nothing wrong with continuing to do things as you did.

Thanks for posting!

Blessings,
    Bill
    I've been told by two different LEOs that what they like to see is hands NOT moving, preferably on the steering wheel, as they approach. They specifically said you can dig out your wallet while they are standing there. Maybe just each of them's personal preference.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Nope. As we've been informed many times by cops on this forum that's not true. Unless they're all lying, and I'd hate to think that was the case.
    Unless that has changed I was told by an Evansville cop a couple years ago while checking my business after an alarm that they know by the plate if you have a license and you should tell them up front.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You might consider in the future having the license and reg. already out,

I've always considered this to be a terrible idea. I always make sure to keep my hands on the steering wheel from the moment I stop the car until the officer comes up to the window.

Think about it from his POV. He just stopped a car for a minor traffic violation (keep in mind that MTVs are where something like 2/3 of felony warrants are served) and the driver reaches over and pulls something out of the glove box. I would not want to be on the cop's end of that, so I do not want to do anything that would make his day any more stressful.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    If I know the cop or have something to ask, wait till his "business" is done then talk!

He might've even "lost" the warning! I got a ticket dropped to a warning because he mentioned something about my car and after he wrote the ticket, I talked to him about 5 minutes ---> no more ticket!

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I personally have not been stopped since becoming a licensed carrier but I have prepared for that instance ahead of time...... I keep my registration and insurance card in a holder on my sun visor and I always drive with my wallet in the cup holder...... If I am stopped I wouldn't move my hands from the steering wheel unless instructed to do so..... As for the informing the officer of a firearm in the vehicle..... A MUST!! A traffic stop is one of the most dangerous parts of being a LEO...... Ask any of them...... Why not inform them that you are a safe responsible LEGAL carrier of a firearm..... Doing so will make the traffic stop that much smoother....... Show respect and earn theirs at the same time..... It might actually save you some money......

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The big thing that oneshotonekill said that's right is don't fumble around as you are being stopped. Face it if you have nothing to hide, act as you are to a normal person. Officers can see people hiding things (happens all of the time). Even though you don't have to tell them about your permit, it might be an embarrassing moment when you get your registration out and your pistol comes out with it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Awesome that you only got a warning--and I think this is a great example of karma. You treated the LEO as you'd like to be treated (with politeness and respect, making his life easier and less stressful), and it was returned back to you as such. Whether or not he would give you a warning instead of a ticket, I'd have to say that being polite, respectful and calm is the surest way possible to de-escalate the situation into a more pleasant and less stressful time for all involved. Funny how that golden rule stuff works!!! :D

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I personally have not been stopped since becoming a licensed carrier but I have prepared for that instance ahead of time...... I keep my registration and insurance card in a holder on my sun visor and I always drive with my wallet in the cup holder...... If I am stopped I wouldn't move my hands from the steering wheel unless instructed to do so..... As for the informing the officer of a firearm in the vehicle..... A MUST!! A traffic stop is one of the most dangerous parts of being a LEO...... Ask any of them...... Why not inform them that you are a safe responsible LEGAL carrier of a firearm..... Doing so will make the traffic stop that much smoother....... Show respect and earn theirs at the same time..... It might actually save you some money......

Broken record alert:

I will not inform any officer that I am carrying unless it becomes absolutely necessary (i.e. I must exit the vehicle, it's laying in plain view). There is absolutely no evidence that informing will make my day go easier, and much more evidence that it can make my day worse.

My sidearm has nothing to do with the traffic stop. I don't keep my LTCH behind my DL.

The OP informed only after it would have become an issue. He was calm about it and the Deputy was calm in kind. Seems like a great encounter.

+1

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Because you don't know how the cop will react and I don't want a gun stuck in my face because he is nervous about someone telling him they are armed. Common sense would tell you that if someone tells you they have a gun, they don't plan on shooting it at you. But you are treated like a criminal alot of the time when informing. Don't say a word until it becomes his business to know.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    See I was born and raised in Rush Co., my cousin used to be the Sherrif for one term. I have nothing but respect for police officers and fire fighters, they really do put their life on the line to help keep us safe.

In small town USA where I'm from they don't have as many dangers as say IMPD but I'm sure big time criminals pass through all of the time, like it or not.

It is no big deal for guns to be a regular thing out here with farming, hunting, and going to the backwoods to plink some .22's. I am on the same thought process as a lot of you, if I bring up the fact that I am carrying, I am obiously not going to use it on you.

To me, if I am a Police Officer and I have been talking to you for a couple of minutes and you have had the opportunity to let me know you were carrying and you didn't until you have no other choice...it would be frustrating. I could see why they get upset and want to search you to see what else you may not have told them about.

I can do it legally, I am not a criminal, I have respect for the law and those that uphold it...I am proud to tell them I am exercising my rights.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    "oneshotonekill", You and probably everyone else here has to understand that the majority of people that we (police officers) run into with weapons don't have permits. Then you hear the horror stories of officers taking away the weapons of the people with permits. I won't do that. Boy, I hope I don't get any bad reps here. I know that you aren't bound by law to tell me that you have a weapon. But, I personally would like to know because I feel that if you have told me this I feel that my level has stepped down due to just plain honesty. Here comes the bad reps.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You should have asked for his name and call the sheriff office to tell them he did a good job.
    That way you could also tell us his name here in INGO. :)

I guess most of the people do that (ask the officer's name and badge number) when they are not happy with the way he does his job.
    I think we should also do it when he does a great job to let his boss know and other gun owners in the case of a gun related thing like this one.

Just a thought.

In Rush county they EXPECT their officers to do a good job and behave in a professional manner and so they do.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    "oneshotonekill", You and probably everyone else here has to understand that the majority of people that we (police officers) run into with weapons don't have permits. Then you hear the horror stories of officers taking away the weapons of the people with permits. I won't do that. Boy, I hope I don't get any bad reps here. I know that you aren't bound by law to tell me that you have a weapon. But, I personally would like to know because I feel that if you have told me this I feel that my level has stepped down due to just plain honesty. Here comes the bad reps.
    No bad rep here. You're entitled to your opinion. Alot of other LEOs have the same opinion but aslong as you understand, and I believe from your comment that you do, that we don't have a duty to inform and I believe that as far as I know pretty much all of us here are carrying legally so when we are required to show the pink piece of paper then we expect the situation to be handled in a professional manner in accordance with our Constitutional rights and the law..

Last edited:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

You stated that you wouldn't do what you have heard the horror stories say some leo's are doing to law abiding citizens with weapons. You also stated that you would personally like to know if someone was armed because that honesty would cause you to relax a bit (as it is probably true that most people who tell you they have a permit and are armed are probably NOT planning on shooting you). You did NOT state that this was the law or that you would be a jerk if they didn't.

I don't see any reason why this would give you bad reps.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    FYI, Most police car computers will tell the officer if the registered owner has a permit issued to him.

Nope. As we've been informed many times by cops on this forum that's not true. Unless they're all lying, and I'd hate to think that was the case.
    Irahm is right. Just cause a cop from one part of the state told you something, doesnt make it true across the board. There is more than one department in the state. I have had no less than 10 officers confirm it to me and I have heard it on the local scanner many more times

Top Bottom