• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    The range will be torn down and built from ground up. BGF bought the original building and remodeled it. Plus there was a ton of sweat equity. They did most of the remodeling them selves. =$2m

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Someone commented earlier that an AP round could have caused a fire. How would an AP round start a fire? I thought they were just a hard steel core under the copper jacket.

Very sorry this this happened to the good people of BGF.
    Matt

This might explain how it could happen.
    Armor-piercing shot and shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    They have a incendiary charge built in to them. So it can cause a fire.

Obviously I am wrong and they have evidence of it being a tracer round. It sucks that someone would be stupid enough to do it once but then do it another 29 plus times. The ultimate in stupid. I hope they are charge with something and held accountable!!!

I feel bad for you guys & gals that shoot there. It will probably be a long time before you are back on the firing line :xmad: Best of luck to the people of BGF.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Really hate to hear this. Very interesting about the tracers, and I have a theory. Since it was tracer ammunition, it would most likely be a military caliber, and with it being 30 rounds probably narrows it down to 5.56 or 7.62x39 from an AR15 or AK47 pattern rifle. Given that tracer ammo is usually quite a bit more expensive, even in milsurp supply, I can't imagine an experienced shooter knowingly using it at the range given the added expense.

Theory:

1) New shooter trying out a new toy

2) New shooter bought ammo at a gun show not knowing what it was, only that it was "Mil-spec"

3) Ammo may have not been marked, and possibly loose packed

4) Trace wasn't lighting up or immediately visible since most take some time before the trace lights

5) New shooter still doesn't know he was actually firing tracer ammunition.

Again, just a theory. Could be interesting to find out if they can narrow it down to who fired it and what amount of responsibility they hold.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It was just about a year ago that some knucklehead burned down Dallas gun club with crap surplus ammo. Now we get this news.

People INTENTIONALLY choose to be irresponsible. When I worked at the range, we had strict rules about firing penetrating rounds in the range. We would demand that people who did not have non penetrator ammo, purchase some approved ammo if they wanted to use the range. People would sneak their own ammo THAT THEY KNOW will do damage and shoot it anyway. I guess they figure the $10 lane rent gives them the right to do $5000 damage and risk the life of people who are behind the bullet trap. This happened TWICE. Luckily, they never burned the place down.

I do not even buy the "oh golly, I just didn't know" line. When you are talking fireams, there is no excuse, put on your big boy pants and man up.

If there is a question, you do not experiment when it can cause others harm. Too many dimestore rambos are complete jerks. If course the jerks that I threw out of the store got on the internet let everyone know how offensive I was.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't pay much attention, is anyone from BGF a member here? If so, I'll offer to weld for them if needed. If not, let them know my offer.

shanksinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Didn't hear this news, popped in today with my son to do some shooting. Very upsetting, BGF is my favorite range. Guessing the store side is damaged too, they were closed up and looked to be pulling out inventory. There was a police officer there, I assume for security, as there are gaping holes in the walls. The guy I spoke to estimated May before they'd be open again, it's a total tear-down and rebuild.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Didn't hear this news, popped in today with my son to do some shooting. Very upsetting, BGF is my favorite range. Guessing the store side is damaged too, they were closed up and looked to be pulling out inventory. There was a police officer there, I assume for security, as there are gaping holes in the walls. The guy I spoke to estimated May before they'd be open again, it's a total tear-down and rebuild.

Excuse my French but..... ****ING MAY?! I don't know how I am going to manage. Can't image being one of the employees.

Side note, do they still own the old store front? May be worth moving inventory over there and operating as a store only until everything is fixed.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Excuse my French but..... ****ING MAY?! I don't know how I am going to manage. Can't image being one of the employees.

Side note, do they still own the old store front? May be worth moving inventory over there and operating as a store only until everything is fixed.

Beech Grove has plenty of open stores downtown. Even if they can't get their old store, there might be another usable location. Going 6 months with no income whatsoever is the kind of thing that can kill a business.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son was there a few lanes down and notice more smoke than usal in the ceiling and then proceeded to inform RSO (employee). RSO did did not seem or act to be interested what was going on so he continue for a little longer then notice more smoke and again told the guy then he moved around more. My son picked up his rifles and pistols when all hell broke lose, got all his items out and stayed around a little while mainly because he could not get out.

Hate this for Gary and the crew, didos on coming up and helping out hopefully they will figure this out soon and get back on there feet.

If this statement is true...no comment as I don't want to play the Ds advocate. However, I'm F**CKING ANGRY that this happened! I was looking forward to going there Saturday. Saying BGF is a great place is becoming a cliche albeit the statement is so very true! :yesway:

I know they have cameras, won't the investigators be able to find out who was shooting the alleged tracers? One tracer, ok, a mistake, but unloading a full mag is pure intent beyond idiocy and carelessness. I don't mind if BGF changes their rules and have to show what ammo and/or firearm you're going to use. I have nothing to hide and if it helps them weed out the a-holes, then I'm all for it! But please, PLEASE, do NOT, NEVER, DON'T, be like Tim's and have to pay for ammo. I'm for anything that will not cost more than what it was but if the fee increases due to this, I guess it would be understandable. Having to wait until May really sucks! It might be impossible to do this but if BGF is going to have to rebuild, how about putting some 50 yard lanes?? :rockwoot:

Good luck BGF and I hope to see you rise like the Phoenix!!

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    If this statement is true...no comment as I don't want to play the Ds advocate. However, I'm F**CKING ANGRY that this happened! I was looking forward to going there Saturday. Saying BGF is a great place is becoming a cliche albeit the statement is so very true! :yesway:

I know they have cameras, won't the investigators be able to find out who was shooting the alleged tracers? One tracer, ok, a mistake, but unloading a full mag is pure intent beyond idiocy and carelessness. I don't mind if BGF changes their rules and have to show what ammo and/or firearm you're going to use. I have nothing to hide and if it helps them weed out the a-holes, then I'm all for it! But please, PLEASE, do NOT, NEVER, DON'T, be like Tim's and have to pay for ammo. I'm for anything that will not cost more than what it was but if the fee increases due to this, I guess it would be understandable. Having to wait until May really sucks! It might be impossible to do this but if BGF is going to have to rebuild, how about putting some 50 yard lanes?? :rockwoot:

Good luck BGF and I hope to see you rise like the Phoenix!!

My thought exactly. But doesn't the range face the Emerson? I don't see an extra 25 yards for them to extend.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    There is an "extra" 6000 sf available on that lot that had to be demo'd after tornado damage before work began the first time around. Used for parking on the south side of the building. If they went out that way, 50 yds may be workable, but they might lose a few lanes width-wise.

I'm sure there's a lot going through their minds right now.

Just as it was during their original construction, their insurance probably won't allow volunteer labor, no matter how well intentioned the offer is. I know they appreciate everyone's support.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I was just reading on the news that the fire apparently rekindled this morning around four am. The report I was reading did not mention anything about additional damage though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Really hate to hear this. Very interesting about the tracers, and I have a theory. Since it was tracer ammunition, it would most likely be a military caliber, and with it being 30 rounds probably narrows it down to 5.56 or 7.62x39 from an AR15 or AK47 pattern rifle. Given that tracer ammo is usually quite a bit more expensive, even in milsurp supply, I can't imagine an experienced shooter knowingly using it at the range given the added expense.

Theory:

1) New shooter trying out a new toy

2) New shooter bought ammo at a gun show not knowing what it was, only that it was "Mil-spec"

3) Ammo may have not been marked, and possibly loose packed

4) Trace wasn't lighting up or immediately visible since most take some time before the trace lights

5) New shooter still doesn't know he was actually firing tracer ammunition.

Again, just a theory. Could be interesting to find out if they can narrow it down to who fired it and what amount of responsibility they hold.

Or a reloader that bought tracer projectiles that someone told them didn't "light up" anymore. (Or worse yet the seller didn't tell them were tracer projectiles)

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Or a reloader that bought tracer projectiles that someone told them didn't "light up" anymore. (Or worse yet the seller didn't tell them were tracer projectiles)

I would hope someone who's taken the care to reload their own ammo, wouldn't be stupid enough to do this...

Hopefully they can find a storefront at a reasonable price to keep inventory moving until the repairs/rebuild is complete.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just talked to Greg. Not 1 tracer, but an entire 30 round mag of tracers were fired. That's a special kind of stupid.

The entire range building has to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. This won't be a fast process.

Lot of smoke and water damage to long gun inventory, handguns escaped some damage due to glass cases.

Sad day for BGF....
    So this individual has been identified, right?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry to see on the news, I was going to drop by for the first time last week, didn't make it and ended up at Bradis instead.
    On this evenings news the owner said he might not be able to reopen. That's a shame.

Top Bottom