• chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So......fire sale this weekend????

Too soon?

Nah. I only waited until I was sure no one got hurt.

Chez's runner-up joke:

"Wow, BGF hasn't been flamed this bad since SNS got banned!"

I'm a firm believer in "Laughter is good medicine".

I wish the guys at BFG the best, and I believe they'll be back on their feet soon in one way or another. They had an awesome range, and I bet it will be even better once its rebuilt.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    SHANKSINATOR***Greg the owner is a police officer, you may have seen him or one of his friends from IMPD there securing the area. Greg and Gary have a tremendous work ethic, they will be back full bore.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sad to see. I was going to go there today with my father and ended up in Greenfield to shoot instead. BGF has helped me with instruction on new guns and have always been ready and willing to help me any way they could. And I will be ready and willing to help them when the time comes too. Time to start saving for the Henry and anything else I can't live without.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I don't mind if BGF changes their rules and have to show what ammo and/or firearm you're going to use. I have nothing to hide and if it helps them weed out the a-holes, then I'm all for it! But please, PLEASE, do NOT, NEVER, DON'T, be like Tim's and have to pay for ammo. I'm for anything that will not cost more than what it was but if the fee increases due to this, I guess it would be understandable.

Show my firearm. No problem. Show my ammo. No problem. outlaw my reloads or make me buy ammo at full retail and i am out of the hobby. i already drive up from bloomington and rent for a whole hour at a time to make it worth my while. i love this place like everbody else. i hope that between finding the culprit and BGF working with their insurance company that they don't have to lose the business.
    i have managed to make it up there 3 times just in this past 30 days and have tried to spread the word in the vast liberal land of Bloomington to get more people to go. if BGF can pull through i think the customers will come. i don't know if i have anything to offer for the rebuild but what if BGF could post a "wish list" of needs.....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is terrible news. Best of luck to the BGF crew, INGO will be there in full-force the day you re-open.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Boy, it would really be a shame if they are not able to make a go of it. These are good folks and do not deserve this. I'm still just in shock about it. I expect to see these guys in business again soon as a dealer, but that range was a really great and ambitious project on their part, and that sort of thing is hard to replace. People (especially the type who burn 30 rounds of tracer indoors) just do not understand what a big deal insurance can be with any kind of range, and I'd have to imagine one that had loans taken out to construct it would be even more tricky.

I really, really hope there is a way for these guys to get back in business, as a range. How many places can you practice drawing a handgun from a holster, with clean air to breathe, without hassle about rapid-fire, and without freezing your patooties off in the winter time? I appreciate a place like this, and I know others do as well. BGF are super classy people who put vision into their business, and it would really be unfortunate to see them driven permanently back into a strip-mall existence because of one person.

Last edited:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    How many places can you practice drawing a handgun from a holster, with clean air to breathe, without hassle about rapid-fire, and without freezing your patooties off in the winter time?

This. You are not the only one that has taken notice of this. I was going to try another range even though it is further from Bloomington but the online rules are against drawing. Now I don't play gunslinger at the range or at home but, having the option to practice the motion at a controlled pace in an environment like BGF is a big thing to me.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We do allow drawing from the holster, need to get that changed on the website. All we ask is you drop the bench top down and step into the stall.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I didn't know you could draw and shoot at BGF... So many wasted opportunities.

I use my blue guns at home to practice the motions but there really is nothing like the real thing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Dry fire drills come much closer to it than blue guns.
    Of course - but I do not like to practice with real firearms anywhere that I wouldn't be willing to have one discharge. Just the same as the gun is always loaded.

I have removed the firing pin and practiced that way before though.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    BGF is a great group of people and I hate to hear about this happening. I really hope that it's an idiot who has done this and not an anti who was trying to inflict damage (happened before with steel ranges). Let's hope that insurance handles this, BGF gets rebuilt and life get back to normal. I hate it for the owners, employees and patrons. We have other shops we can visit, but sadly the employees and owner still have bills to pay.
    My daughter and I enjoyed the range due to the air exchange system. Her asthma didn't act up at all. I still prefer outdoors but that's not always practical. Best of luck and if there is anything BGF needs they should let the people of INGO know. Lots of good people here who would be willing to help out.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well guys and girls, you won't believe this.
    I was driving by BGF&R this morning when I spotted Mrs. Berg (Gary's wife) in the parking lot. So I turned in so that I could express my sorrow about the tragedy.

She said they have it all on video tape and the BATF&E has/had the perpetrator in custody (I believe).
    She said the guy (military) came in, signed-in went to the far end of the range (rifle section) and loaded up and commenced firing tracers into the backstop which of course began to smoke and catch fire but he continued to fire in spite of it until it started blazing up at which point he grabbed his stuff and high-tailed it out of the range, got his drivers licence and left without saying anything too anyone.

She said it was like he did it intentionally and deliberately, but why? Terrorist act or work place violence?

The Insurance and ventilation people were there going over everything.

There will be no decisions made about the range at this point until all the facts are in, lots and lots of things have to be done before they can even start the cleanup. More hoops to jump through.

But the HOPE is that they can rebuild and reopen sometime in the future, but I'll bet there will be changes made.

BTW, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Top Bottom