• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I’d like to hear what upgrades made the biggest difference on your Ruger 10/22. I’ve upgraded the stock and bought the “upgraded” Ruger trigger but would love to hear the best upgrades others have done. Or what upgrades made the biggest difference.

Thanks!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I've been messing around with 10/22s for the past 10 years or so. There is so much that you can do with your 10/22 that it's mind boggling. Here is what I've learned.

Biggest difference:
    1. Kidd trigger job kit
    2. Kidd pull weight spring kit
    3. Kidd magazine release lever
    4. Kidd bolt buffer
    5. Tech Sights
    6. quality sling swivel studs
    7. quality sling swivels
    8. quality GI web sling

Changes that didn't matter as much:
    a. Kidd autobolt release
    b. Kidd magazine latch plunger
    c. Kidd bolt
    d. Kidd charging assembly
    e. Kidd threaded receiver pins

If you want a scope rather than aperature sights:
    1) quality scope base ... Kidd, EGW, etc.
    2) quality scope rings ... Warne, Vortex, etc.
    3) quality scope ... nothing less than Vortex Crossfire II series

If you do go with a scope, you will need to build up the stock comb to achive a good cheek weld. Pieces of pipe insulation or pool noodles held in place with vet wrap is an inexpensive solution that works wonders to build up a comb.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I’d like to hear what upgrades made the biggest difference on your Ruger 10/22. I’ve upgraded the stock and bought the “upgraded” Ruger trigger but would love to hear the best upgrades others have done. Or what upgrades made the biggest difference.

Thanks!
    Buying a whole one from Kidd proved to be cheaper and make the most difference. And I've prolly bought, built, and sold 20 of the dam things. Some were pretty good, but the Kidd rifles are excellent.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Buying a whole one from Kidd proved to be cheaper and make the most difference. And I've prolly bought, built, and sold 20 of the dam things. Some were pretty good, but the Kidd rifles are excellent.
    @patience0830 speaks the truth ... had he imparted this wisdom on me 10 yrs. ago, I would be money ahead in the 10/22 game.

Unfortunately, we hadn't crossed paths yet.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There is a company in Princeton LA. that works mainly on ruger 10/22's and 1911's. clark customs. They still hand fit using equipment they have made over the years. Not just popping on parts like one would an AR.

They true the reciever, they true the barrel, recut the chamber rework the trigger, bed the action plus other tricks. All done on the gun you send them.

i had a "manny" Stainless done by them and it shot well before but it shooots like a champion now. This gun became a family gift. All ruger parts. I had a gift card I won on a raffle. I got a great deal on the "manny" and my normal guy in Ohio said he could not do his work on a "manny". Clark said they could make it work

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There is a company in Princeton LA. that works mainly on ruger 10/22's and 1911's. clark customs. They still hand fit using equipment they have made over the years. Not just popping on parts like one would an AR.

They true the reciever, they true the barrel, recut the chamber rework the trigger, bed the action plus other tricks. All done on the gun you send them.

i had a "manny" Stainless done by them and it shot well before but it shooots like a champion now. This gun became a family gift. All ruger parts. I had a gift card I won on a raffle. I got a great deal on the "manny" and my normal guy in Ohio said he could not do his work on a "manny". Clark said they could make it work
    Connecticut Precision Chambering is another high quality 10/22 gunsmith. Owner shoots competitions as well and would pick up the phone himself last time I needed work on one. CPC. For another resource, check out RimfireCentral.com
    Great group of guys always willing to help.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The only 10-22 I have is one I got for Christmas when I was ten. It had extraction issues for years until I put an aftermarket one in it about fifteen years ago. Being able to get through a mag without a malfunction made it the biggest improvement I've done to it (after 25 years of malfunction clearing). Next would either be the Volquartsen trigger or Tech Sights.

I also did the bolt release mod. It doesn't improve accuracy or anything, but it's extremely convenient and I would recommend it. I rounded the back of the bolt years ago too, which made a difference in how easy it is to chamber a round. I found that newer 10-22s already have a bigger radius at the back of the bolt than my old one did, so that probably won't be necessary.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @chadm - what do you want to do with it?

A heavy target barrel just won't work well on a rifle you want to use for steel challenge.

For any use the trigger needs improvement. I had a stock 10/22 that was made in 1984 at the range the other day and the OEM trigger was awful. My steel challenge 10/22s have BX triggers that have been worked on by Brimstone.

The available options are overwhelming, set the parameters for where you want the rifle to end up and go from there

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Thanks!
    Trigger job or buy a nice one.
    Decent scope if you plan on target shooting
    Otherwise a 2-7× or a LPVO for hunting.
    Find the ammunition your rifle likes and stock up on it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Trigger job or buy a nice one.
    Decent scope if you plan on target shooting
    Otherwise a 2-7× or a LPVO for hunting.
    Find the ammunition your rifle likes and stock up on it.
    4-14x for a good accurate squirrel rifle is better for me. I like to find that one eyeball looking through the leaves at me at 30 yds. My good rifle goes from 6-24.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    @chadm - what do you want to do with it?

A heavy target barrel just won't work well on a rifle you want to use for steel challenge.

For any use the trigger needs improvement. I had a stock 10/22 that was made in 1984 at the range the other day and the OEM trigger was awful. My steel challenge 10/22s have BX triggers that have been worked on by Brimstone.

The available options are overwhelming, set the parameters for where you want the rifle to end up and go from there
    I wanted to hear what mods actually made a difference versus being all marketing hype. I have a 10/22 with the X-22 stock, BX trigger, and a Nikon rimfire scope. It‘s ok, but I want more accuracy from it.

Also I was thinking about a 10/22 Charger. So just listening to others and taking it all in.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I have a bone stock 10/22, except for the bolt release mod I did a few years ago. It will hit everything I need to, is as accurate as I need it to be. I shot a 198 at an Appleseed a few years ago, with it as it is. I’ve had ones with pistol grip stock, folding stock, and plastic stock, they are the LEGO toys of the gun world.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I have a bone stock 10/22, except for the bolt release mod I did a few years ago. It will hit everything I need to, is as accurate as I need it to be. I shot a 198 at an Appleseed a few years ago, with it as it is. I’ve had ones with pistol grip stock, folding stock, and plastic stock, they are the LEGO toys of the gun world.
    I was thinking about a different stock. One with a pistol grip makes a lot of sense. Then I was thinking about sbr a Charger 10/22 which sounds like fun.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    These 2 are the same other than the stock. Can't remember all the upgrades but they both shoot lights out. They both wear utg bipods and Simmons pro target scopes. Less than $500 in each (Got a phenomenal deal on a pair of stock 10/22s) after selling the takeoffs.

Ksa Bull Barrel
    BX trigger
    Upgraded Vblock

Believe all the other upgrades are tandemkross, some purely esthetic but functional upgrades

Daughters and my rifle. Hers (the pink one) now wears the simmons protarget scope vs what's in the pic
    20210404_191005.jpg
    Capable of this pic below at 50 yards with average ammo and perfect conditions. Better ammo like eley, wolf, and sk produce even better accuracy
    20180603_151405.jpg

Top Bottom