Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorites:

ambi mag release

Tech sights

This bolt took my accuracy from a quarter sized group at 50, to a dime/jagged hole.

Or there is a guy on the east coast that for $75(?) plus shipping will accurize your bolt and return it. I dont recall the name but I'm sure somebody here knows who I am talking about.

Oh, and step 1, ditch the barrel band. That will help accuracy a tiny bit.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Replacing the stock barrel with a threaded one and trying a Sparrow suppressor has turned my 10/22 into my new all-time favorite rifle--especially with the subsonic ammo.

Took maybe a couple minutes to change out the barrel and about a month on the form 4.

This year's squirrel season should be fun as all get out!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I’d like to hear what upgrades made the biggest difference on your Ruger 10/22. I’ve upgraded the stock and bought the “upgraded” Ruger trigger but would love to hear the best upgrades others have done. Or what upgrades made the biggest difference.

Thanks!
    Best upgrades. Buy a savage. Buy an Anschutz. Buy a better quality rifle to begin with. A 10/22 is junk. Poor trigger, poor chamber, poor accuracy. All you need to do is shell out $350 for the gun. Throw away everything but the action & replace those parts. Or Buy a better rifle and be done with it.
    But what do I know? Other then there are no Rugers on the linevat the Olympics or Camp Perry.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Honestly before I’d start recommending upgrades I’d need to know your intended purpose
    1-speed
    2-accuracy
    3-hunting
    All have different purposes and all would require different parts

but I’d start with “not” buying a 10/22, I’d start by buying a brownells br22 receiver and just buying the right parts rather than buying a 10/22 and throwing everything but the receiver away

So fyi
    1-speed, light weight threaded barrel (for a compensator, not for recoil control but for the timer to pick up the shots) or even a 5 inch barrel with a pinned and welded sleeve to make it 16 inches, light weight stock, big window for the (non magnified red dot) sight, 3 pound single stage trigger
    2-accuracy-heavy fluted bull barrel, stock with a high comb for the scope, a higher magnification scope for precision shots, a two stage trigger, with a light as possible trigger break
    3-hunting, stock contour barrel, medium power scope, 3 pound trigger, synthetic stock

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I have a Shaw barrel, removed barrel band and installed BX trigger. I think ammo selection (Eley Force) was #1 improvement, followed in order by the trigger, the barrel and removing the barrel band in magnitude of improvement. I'm just shooting 1" groups @ 50 yards so there is room for improvement still.

IMG_20220401_151824.jpg

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Simple…
    Ruger BX trigger
    Any quality aftermarket stock
    Decent quality optics

In my specific case, an improved extractor and spring… Ruger decided not to give me a good one I guess. Lot of malfunctions solved with upgrading the extractor.

Anything else will improve… but not as noticeable as those three.

IMG_1699.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    Fair warning these things are addictive. And will likely turn into a money pit

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I’d like to hear what upgrades made the biggest difference on your Ruger 10/22. I’ve upgraded the stock and bought the “upgraded” Ruger trigger but would love to hear the best upgrades others have done. Or what upgrades made the biggest difference.

Thanks!
    In regards to accuracy a trigger job and barrel made an immediate difference.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Best upgrades. Buy a savage. Buy an Anschutz. Buy a better quality rifle to begin with. A 10/22 is junk. Poor trigger, poor chamber, poor accuracy. All you need to do is shell out $350 for the gun. Throw away everything but the action & replace those parts. Or Buy a better rifle and be done with it.
    But what do I know? Other then there are no Rugers on the linevat the Olympics or Camp Perry.
    I have a Savage bolt action 22lr. I put a scope on it and it’s a laser. I love that thing. I have a Ruger 10/22 laying around, so I was curious what upgrades people actually felt were worth the money. You can go down the TandemKross and Volquartsen rabbit hole and spend a lot of money, but how much actually helped. That’s why I asked the question.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a Savage bolt action 22lr. I put a scope on it and it’s a laser. I love that thing. I have a Ruger 10/22 laying around, so I was curious what upgrades people actually felt were worth the money. You can go down the TandemKross and Volquartsen rabbit hole and spend a lot of money, but how much actually helped. That’s why I asked the question.
    What is the level of performance that you are looking for? And is there a budget that's reasonable for that requirement to be filled.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    What is the level of performance that you are looking for? And is there a budget that's reasonable for that requirement to be filled.
    Great questions. I don’t feel my gun from Ruger is very accurate at 25 or 50 yards (with a variety of ammo). So if I was going to do some upgrades over time (I am not independently wealthy), I wanted to hear about where I should think about upgrading first. Who makes a good barrel is one of the questions in the back of my mind. I see a lot of carbon fiber barrel options but I don’t know how often I’d need to clean that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Great questions. I don’t feel my gun from Ruger is very accurate at 25 or 50 yards (with a variety of ammo). So if I was going to do some upgrades over time (I am not independently wealthy), I wanted to hear about where I should think about upgrading first. Who makes a good barrel is one of the questions in the back of my mind. I see a lot of carbon fiber barrel options but I don’t know how often I’d need to clean that.
    If you're going to stick with the Ruger a few members here shoot them and have given you good advice. I don't believe I have seen a carbon fiber barrel but I have seen stainless barrels wrapped in carbon fiber to drop the weight down. As an entry I would pick a Volquartson myself. And then look into triggers and a better stock.

But like 55 said in post #24 I'm in the Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber, 40X bolt action world.
    Good luck with your ride, and please post with pics on what happens along that ride.

stevezx2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2018
    Hartford City
    @chadm -
    For any use the trigger needs improvement. I had a stock 10/22 that was made in 1984 at the range the other day and the OEM trigger was awful. My steel challenge 10/22s have BX triggers that have been worked on by Brimstone.

I sent the stock trigger from 2 of mine to Brimstone. The difference was unbelievable and it was more affordable than a full replacement drop in trigger.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    10/22's suffer from a 2 fold problem. All rugers need a barrel upgrade & a trigger. Ruger barrels suffer from a very generous sporter chamber, a bentz or other "match grade" chamber is a must. The barrels from E.W. Shaw I feel are the best bang for the buck. But any quality barrel will improve things . Now the next problem is that crappy 10 pound feels like 2 rocks rubbing on each other trigger. You don't need a 6 oz trigger, but it must be butter smooth & break like a glass rod. 2 stage or single stage your choice. Trigger weight is negotiable if the trigger is butter smooth & has a clean break.
    Other improvements, the barrel must free float & and I personally feel the stock is like shooting a 2X4.
    Now these issues aren't unique to just ruger as most all 22lr guns suffer these common problems.
    If you want a high quality semi auto, build an AR22lr using the CMMG style bolt, find a 'smith to do a barrel with a bentz chamber, add a rock river arms trigger and you have a shooter. While I made my own barrel (having a machine shop in the garage has its perks) this is the basic formula I followed when I built my National Match rimfire sporter gun.
    Another common problem is do not put to much glass on top. If your not shoot benchrest at 50 yards you don't need a 50X optic. A decent ($300 to $400) 1X6 optic is more then plenty. You can shoot offhand at 1 or 2 X ....dial up to 6 to hit targets at 100 yards .

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If you're going to stick with the Ruger a few members here shoot them and have given you good advice. I don't believe I have seen a carbon fiber barrel but I have seen stainless barrels wrapped in carbon fiber to drop the weight down. As an entry I would pick a Volquartson myself. And then look into triggers and a better stock.

But like 55 said in post #24 I'm in the Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber, 40X bolt action world.
    Good luck with your ride, and please post with pics on what happens along that ride.
    The north store at Camp Perry had maybe 50 40X in 22lr as of 45 mins ago. Cost is around $800. They also have 03 & 03A3 Springfield , Krags, and IH M1's . And 1917's . Plus lots of parts.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With a decent scope, and ammunition your stock 10/22 likes you should be able to shoot 0.7" 10 shot groups at 50yds with a stock 10/22 from a rest. Get a decent trigger pull weight, and possibly get it down to 0.6" 10 shot groups from a rest.
    To get much better than that you'll have to spend a small fortune.

Top Bottom