• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I am in the mood for a new shotgun and looking for semi auto where i can exchange barrels if for deer hunting looking for under $400...any suggestions???

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have a Charles-Daly. It is not reliable enough for hunting or self defence, but is perfectly good for busting clays. It was only $250, so i tolerate it, but it's no great deal.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i have a charles daly 12 ga. field model.ive heard alot of bad reviews about it.i picked one up for around $300.i have never once had any issues with it what so ever.ive probably shot close to 5000 rounds thru it without really cleaning it.still as reliable as the day i bought it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You may want to look at Stoeger. I don't know if they are under $400, but I have heard they are a great gun for the money.
    I made a new one non-operable in 30 seconds without even firing it. Trust me when I say I was not trying to do that and I had high hopes for the gun.

Your best bet would be to buy a quality gun used. I saw a decent Beretta not to long ago under $400. Going cheap on a semi auto for hunting is asking for trouble. You spend a lot of time carrying and very little shooting so you want it to work when you do. Benelli, Beretta and Remington.

If you go cheap it is hit or miss, be ready to dump a gun and buy another, but then you lose money so cheap is not so cheap.

For me the unknown gun is the CZ shotgun. May be a deal, may be crap.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For a new gun under $400 I would go with the Charles Daly. I have only run a boxes of shells through the one I picked up last winter, but had no problems. I think the main thing is keeping it clean. No it is not a Benelli, Browning or Berretta. It is 1/2 the price or less. Gun is supposed to carry a lifetime warranty. Overall I am happy with the gun and plan on using it for hunting. As far as reliability, I own a Ruger Red Label and Bennelli Nova. Both have failed in the field. I have seen Bennelli, Winchester, & Browning fail in the field. Keep em clean and oiled.

Gun will cost you $314 at WalMart, probably around $340-$360 at a gun shop. 22" barrel with rifle sights can be ordered for Charles Daly. Not sure of the cost, but I am sure it be over $100. Another option would be to find one with a 26" barrel and put a set of hi viz sights on the barrels rib. Guns take standard rem chokes so finding a rifled, cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke tube should not be a problem.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just clicked on the INGO ad talking about a $449 semi-auto. Weatherby entered the market. Went to the attached site and guess what the shotgun is made in Turkey. Same Stoeger, Charles Daly and several others. Seems like a lot of Turkish shotguns with people putting their name on them. Similar to a well recognized americal brand putting their name on a Croatian pistol and then raising the price?

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would say the Charles Daly or Stoeger. I have an 1100, 2 Benellis, and a Charles Daly. I have never had any major problems with any of them after several thousand rounds. Those of you that had problems with a new shot gun probably didn't break it in or it was one of the older Turkish guns before they had the modern CNC equipment and training. Keep them clean and they will work every time. The charles Daly has to be cleaned about every 400 rounds depending on how dirty your ammo is. Since the gas system is under the fore grip it's a fairly simple process. Beware of gun snobs...:rolleyes:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Similar to a well recognized americal brand putting their name on a Croatian pistol and then raising the price?

Or Remington doing the same thing with the Russian "Baikal" shotguns.

At the $400 or less price point, I'd still look for a Remington 1100 (probably used, although I believe the "Sportsman" series isn't much more than that new) or Mossberg 930.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Or Remington doing the same thing with the Russian "Baikal" shotguns.

At the $400 or less price point, I'd still look for a Remington 1100 (probably used, although I believe the "Sportsman" series isn't much more than that new) or Mossberg 930.

If you can get an 1100 for that I would definitely go for it.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just bought an 11-87 in mossy oak for $400 2 weeks ago...then turned around and found a slug barrel for $60 last week

The way things are going with the economy give it time and someone will need the cash for something...

Top Bottom