• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well for my money I would choose a blued, slicked up 20" Rossi model 92 lever action in 38/357 magnum caliber along with a good quality 4" revolver in the same caliber.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would go with a Marlin Model 1894C with a S&W Model 65 back-up. Have plenty of ammo and both models. Add to the fact that .38/.357 ammo should be fairly easy to find in a SHTF scenario. In no way would I feel undergunned with a lever action rifle and a revolver as a back-up as both are very solid weapons & very accurate for their intended purposes.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I just had a thought that maybe a FAL would work good for a Indiana SHTF rifle.
    It can shoot out to 500yds or farther with open sights.
    With the paratrooper version (folding stock) it should be short enough to do a little house clearing. The 7.62x51 NATO (.308) round is plenty heavy enough to take any game in Indiana. It has been in service since 1954 so there are surplus parts out there. Ammo is plentiful just a little on the expensive side. Mags run about $20 ea. (20rd)
    Most I have found are right around 1K, remember you get what you pay for.
    I would stay away from the Century Arms FALs I have been told they are not very reliable.
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=GDPCT-7lL4Tq6gG189yeCg&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ
    FN FAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And the best thing it is not an AK or AR!;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I just had a thought that maybe a FAL would work good for a Indiana SHTF rifle.
    It can shoot out to 500yds or farther with open sights.
    With the paratrooper version (folding stock) it should be short enough to do a little house clearing. The 7.62x51 NATO (.308) round is plenty heavy enough to take any game in Indiana. It has been in service since 1954 so there are surplus parts out there. Ammo is plentiful just a little on the expensive side. Mags run about $20 ea. (20rd)
    Most I have found are right around 1K, remember you get what you pay for.
    I would stay away from the Century Arms FALs I have been told they are not very reliable.
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=GDPCT-7lL4Tq6gG189yeCg&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ
    FN FAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And the best thing it is not an AK or AR!;)
    Try a FAL with the stock folded...

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    For me, a manually operated 223 is exactly the ticket.

Why? Load versatility. 223 is very cheap and common, and the components are common. You can throw together a load for any situation. 308 and 30-06 are unnecessary for anything here in Indiana.

A $20 "Lee Classic Loader" comes in a compact little box, and gives you everything you need to load cartridges by hand.

The two most important things a SHTF rifle needs to do in my opinion are penetrate a deer skull at 100 yards, and still be quiet enough to avoid attention in semi-rural environments.

A .223 can be loud sometimes ... but a quick throw of 8gr. Trailboss powder turns it into a re-loadable .22mag. You could even pull the bullets from a rimfire and load them up for close range shooting.

My first choice would be the CZ 527 Carbine. Second choice would be a 455 Lux. Why? because they are nice, durable, non-fickle rifles that come factory with good iron sights, and a 22mag would work in a pinch.

For the OP. Who requires cheap mags, why not the Remington 7615? You would still be able to cycle rounds of any power or quality, and you could have your cheap hi-cap mags.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My first choice would be the CZ 527 Carbine.

Great rifles for the money.

A bolt action .30-30 is a great bantam weight rifle.

04-10-11_1915.jpg

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Marlin 336BL

Slap a forward rail on it and mount a used aimpoint M2.

It'll do anything that 99.9% of shooters are capable of, even if it ain't pretty. Trust me when I say it's a hell of a fast shooting platform with accuracy to spare, and nobody will argue the effectiveness and availability of the 30-30.

Similar but a little more pricey to do. IMO it's drop dead beautiful.

Krinkov004.jpg

When I have some more income I plan on doing a a shortened 45-70 SHTF rifle. I would go 30-30 but I can't be arsed with loading a rifle caliber yet, I have some weird fear of loading anything bottle necked.

In all honesty, I'd prefer a platform like this to anything offered in the tactical market. A self contained system, such as wheel guns and lever guns will be much better in a situation where you don't have much support behind you, plus you'll never need to worry about the laws leading up to then. Regardless what anyone says, a self contained system has its merits.
    I've been in the market for a good SHTF rifle, I never considered a lever action, that's a nice Marlin :yesway:, I looked it up on Marlin's website but I can't find the stock used in that photo. Do you know where I can get it? As well as that optics mount? I'm seriously considering get a Marlin 336 BL....

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I would also consider a Mosin. Ammo is relatively available, decent stopping power for hunting and self defense. Some people would consider the Bolt action a negative, but if you know what you're doing, you'll take the first shot ;)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I would also consider a Mosin. Ammo is relatively available, decent stopping power for hunting and self defense. Some people would consider the Bolt action a negative, but if you know what you're doing, you'll take the first shot ;)

Yep, the 7.62x54r is more than adequate in that regard...

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My Vector Arms Uzi carbine, can take small game,common ammo ,plentiful cheap mags, small (not real light),not as loud as some of the thunder sticks mentioned,in a pinch with enough arc can make it out to 300 yds.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My choice for a Indiana SHTF rifle(s) are--

M1a, .308 is easy to find, used mags are about $25. Although I've been getting them for about $10. Will take any game in In., will reach your 300 yrd mark easily.

M1 Garand, You can stockpile ammo(surplus or roll your own). Enblocks are cheap,about $1 or so apiece or they come on the surplus.
    Will take any game in In. and again reach your 300yrd mark.

A bolt action .223, readily available ammo, I wouldn't be afraid to take game with it. No external mags to worry about. 300yrds all day long.

Top Bottom