• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm not a lever gun fan, and don't care for the .30-30 win.
    Owned a 94 in .30-30 and a Big Bore in .307, plus a Marlin .44 and a few Win 9422M.
    Done with 'em.
    Think the .35 rem a nicer looking cartridge (aesthetically).
    Wouldn't mind a clean high comb Rem 7600 in that. There wasa limited run of synth models for some PA distributor some yrs ago.
    Prices on them ridiculous on GB.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've shot deer with bows, shotguns, muzzle loaders and rifles. My favorite is the rifle calibers. Both my Henry .44 Big Boy and CVA Scout in .35 Rem have done an excellent job of stopping deer in their tracks. I use the Henry with a Skinner peep sight for close range stand work and the Scout for times when I think I might have a longer shot. The last two years I have shot a ten pointer each time, one with each gun. The .35 with a high shoulder shot using a 200 gr CoreLok just dropped him like a rock. With the .44 I made a heart shot using 240 gr XTP and he made a jump of about 20 feet and crashed into the ground.
    IMG_20131116_082237_270_zps22c966e3.jpg

1115140830_zpswwfqug2f.jpg

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    I feel for Me the Best Deer Gun is my 20ga Fully riffled barrel TC Encore Pro Hunter.
    For Most shots in the area i hunt i have more than enough range to kill any deer that i see

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The best gun for deer hunting is the one that you can shoot well, under the worst conditions and stress.

Any of the firearms legal in this state will kill a deer quite soundly if you have the right stuff between your ears.

Pick what you like, and what you think fits 75% of your budget all-in. Spend the other 25% on ammo for practice, and a few snap caps for dry-fire at home. Get the metal ones.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't dry fire my deer rig.
    Don't really practice with it either.
    IMHO the fundamentals of shooting cross from platform to platform.
    Maybe if somebody has a really crappy trigger on their deer rig, or it's set up funky........or the balance is touchy.
    Even then............should be dialed in within 20 rounds.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That's good for you, Hookeye, if it works, and I'm glad that you've no need for practice anymore. I made the assumption in my reply that if the guy's here asking questions about what is "da best der killer", that he's a beginner.

A beginner needs to practice. A lot.

Simple logic dictates that if the beginner cannot afford to shoot because they spent so much on the initial capital investment, then they will be the weak link in December, and will find themselves writing the sob story about the one that got away (or didn't, but was so badly hit that it can't be recovered).

I am no beginner with a rifle, but I practice because I refuse to miss due to my own ego, or lack of effort, or lack of confidence to take the hard shot when it's the only shot. Sometimes there's only one try to get it right, and I won't find myself in the position that either my equipment or my skills are not up to the task when a shot is presented that I alone must make.

-Nate

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a rifled shotgun with a 6x scope. With the fancy sabot slugs currently available, it's pretty flat shooting for a shotgun and I am confident on deer out 15-175 yards. The last two bucks I shot with Winchester XP3s made it a combined 1 yard. What I don't like is that it's fairly heavy with the slug barrel and there is still more bullet drop than I would like. I think it's about 2000 FPS with about 8" drop at 175.

I really want an AR upper for deer, but I am struggling to really realize an advantage to 458 socom OR 450 bushmaster. Size and portability of the AR platform would be great, it would be nice to be able to use the top rail and a QD mount to share scopes between rifles more easily. BUT, I don't see the ballistics being that advantageous. ?

Maybe I need to abandon the AR upper and think about a dedicated setup in 35 or something?

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    That's good for you, Hookeye, if it works, and I'm glad that you've no need for practice anymore. I made the assumption in my reply that if the guy's here asking questions about what is "da best der killer", that he's a beginner.

Simple logic dictates that if the beginner cannot afford to shoot because they spent so much on the initial capital investment, then they will be the weak link in December, and will find themselves writing the sob story about the one that got away (or didn't, but was so badly hit that it can't be recovered).

I am no beginner with a rifle, but I practice because I refuse to miss due to my own ego, or lack of effort, or lack of confidence to take the hard shot when it's the only shot. Sometimes there's only one try to get it right, and I won't find myself in the position that either my equipment or my skills are not up to the task when a shot is presented that I alone must make.

-Nate
    Very well put natdscott .

No matter who you are , you should always practice with your equipment .

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

-Nate

Very well put natdscott .

No matter who you are , you should always practice with your equipment .

Some people will not admit it, but shooting is a perishable skill.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Indiana deer hunting is a pretty short range affair for most.
    While many folks think 100 yards is far..........those of us who grew up shooting chucks with tuned varmint rifles, reloaded since elementary school, and didn't shoot crap.........well it aint far.
    Even in the shotgun days, my rigs were tested for cleaning interval, required foulers, and ammo preference (each type from one lot #).

If one sucks with their chosen deer rig, I doubt shots 100 through 200 at the range are suddenly going to make them superstars.

For me........pre season verification of zero offers enough practice. I can call my shots, maybe some folks who have shot for a while can't.

On this and other forums, I just see this new wave of nonsense where folks think they have to shoot hundreds of rounds to get good with a specific rifle.
    Deer are friggin' huge compared to chucks.

If you know the yardage/drop, are not a slouch, railing a deer in the vitals to 200 should be a gimme.
    Same shooting positions you learned with a .22rf should apply.

Does one suck with their handguns or other rifles? If so they aren't going to be anything great with their chosen deer rig.

See too many bolting their thumpers for deer season in Sight Vises and Lead Sleds. Makes me want to puke.
    Mixed lots of ammo, different types. Scope setups that are nothing but mechanical abortions......

A ton of range time and $ sent into the backstops aint gonna help these clods.

If they are that clueless on the range I suspect their shot selection and execution in the field to be worse.

I have shot enough that it doesn't take much to get back in the groove. I have a groove to get back into though.
    Getting that took some time I guess, but within a few shots I usually start seeing the variation of the gear/combo.

Do think some folks get more rusty than others, when they don't shoot for a while.
    Maybe some go to absolute crap and can't hit the broadside of a barn.

For me it's like riding a bike.

Shooting is shooting. Some rigs have better triggers than others and different ballistics.
    Plug the applicable disc in your head, and drill it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shooting may be a perishable skill.
    Does one go from shooting bullseyes to missing completely without practice?
    Or do they just toss one out of the X once in a while, score a 10 or 9?
    If that's within their target's zone.......is that not good enough?

Confidence is an important part of shooting. Some may get it from extended range sessions.
    Some may not need it.

Even if they have confidence, from limited or extensive practice, that still doesn't mean they have it from solid data.

There is something to be said for quality vs quantity.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    People differ in many ways.
    Understanding of the gear, the sport, themselves.
    Some have better fine pitch motor skills.
    Others may be more healthy.
    Maybe one was born with great visual acuity.

But most folks think the world revolves around them and what works best must apply to all others.

If blasting 10 boxes of rifle ammo from the Lead Sled makes one think they are now killer of yonder Bambi.....so be it.

Seen that stuff posted on other forums, guys claiming hundreds of rounds need fired all summer, to get proficient with a single rifle.
    This isn't benchrest......it's deer hunting.

I seriously doubt they shoot as good as their internet postings claim.

Even if they did...........who gives a flip about shooting a half inch difference in group size at 200 yards...........when the farthest shot is 400?
    Maybe the 1000 yard guys who would rather snipe an animal than hunt it...........they might need such super fine grouping.

But then I dislike that mindset since the target isn't bolted down.

Yeah varminters take long shots at small targets, but there is something to powerlevels/scale of target.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I was shooting a fair bit one summer. Nothing crazy, but maybe once every couple of weeks.
    22 rf rifle, .243 700, Smith 629. Commander.
    Drove to F&W area to zero my deer rig (Remington shotgun of some sort) and shoot some handguns with a bud.
    Drove for about 1.5 hrs.
    Taking junk to the shooting line a guy was at the 200 with a Stolle Panda in 6 PPC.
    Offered my bud a go with his gun.
    Repeatedly asked me to try it, and finally I obliged.
    Stuck cases twice, had to remove from cradle two times.
    Said that would kill my group, he apologized.
    Shot my 5 and he asked which group was mine.
    Told him.
    He got p*ssed.
    I outshot him with his rifle...........fresh out of the truck I was. Under .5" at 200.......gun not mine.
    Thanked him for letting me shoot it, he continued to grumble.
    It was then that I explained I worked under microscopes for a living.....this type of thing was kinda like what I did 8-16 hrs a day, day after day.

He had great gear, and ammo. Was fun to shoot.
    Thanked him again and went to dial my 12 ga in (week before season opened).

But that was after I drilled a leftover B27 with my Smith 648 .22 mag, 25 yards.......when some Barney unsnapped his holster (Ruger P series he had) because a bud and I lugged a box of handguns/ammo to the line (he about 3 or 4 benches down).
    Dude was an idiot. WTF was he gonna do, quick draw on us after the DNR checked permits with him watching?
    So I was pissed, leaned over the bench and shot the left over target. Shoot very well when mad. BTW, proly handn't shot that gun for months. Was my Field Pistol rig so knew what needed done, hold, trigger........shot it SA mode. Great trigger.

He came down when we went to post new targets....and asked if it was a .357 mag. Told him it was .22 mag. He got all spooky, said that would go through body armor.
    I asked if he wore a bullet proof facemask.............and pointed to all the shots in the head.

Of course he had a POS Mossberg 500 with junk scope and stuck a shell or something, went down and fixed it for him when it hung up a little later.

I mention these incidents to point out how others might not be as good as they think, and if those folks are on this forum all these years later..........humiliate them for being jerks.

Jerks I outshot. After bouncing to the range for over an hr in a lifted vehicle (not the most soft of steering vibe).

I'm older now, and don't work under scopes.New job has me kinda beat up. Eyes not as good, so deer rigs have peeps or scopes. Still do OK iron sighted handgun, but that's now a 50 yard deal, and I have to look at the sights harder, double check.

So yeah, when I took my POS Xmark pro 700 out this spring.......being the crippled blind person I am now, the first couple of shots (in the X) felt way light. By shot #10 I was cursing that damn heavy arsed trigger.

Never was anything great, but not a slouch.

And again, deer are freakin' HUGE.

Aim small, miss small.

Will take my .243 to 100 and 200 yard banks to verify before yote season.
    No dry fire, proly be done within a box of handloads.

My gun fits me great, so there's really no refresher needed. But it doesn't have some crazy large objective scope or crap stock setup.

Think if more people had gear that fit them, they might do as well if not better, with lesser practice.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Now my recurve bow? I used to shoot dang near every other day, year round.
    But then I got hurt.
    Changed style of shooting. Was more reflexive before (and did well, but that required a lot of practice).
    Went to different anchor, tab and started gap shooting. Learned where to hold for different distances, and even used two anchors to use one sight picture for two distances.
    Tested. Minimal practice due to injury.
    Drilled my deer right where I wanted to.

Different bow this year, arrows about the same arc wise.
    Problem is grip. Not as good.

This time it does require a bit more practice. But then archery has more user input in the shot.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'll check my TC at 50, 100 and 150, proly shoot 20 rounds total.
    Will be good to go.
    If I gotta thread the needle or take a mover.........will just do it.
    I added weight to the forend, and a cheekpiece. The gun fits me very well now.
    Gun is same as it was last yr.
    There's no need for any changes or experimentation.
    I typically run one load per gun, each gun set up for one purpose.
    Not hard to remember what each one does.
    But then I don't have a 50 gun safe :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW was born with eye condition that probably gave me some advantage.

Unfortunately my kids all wear glasses and are right handed, left eye dominate (like their mom).
    Handguns OK, rifles w scopes I gotta tape a lens to force things.

Am older now, and need glasses. It truly sucks.
    Don't think my kids have ever shot without wearing vision correcting glasses.

That has to make things tougher.

It was so easy when I was a kid..........up to mid 40's.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Hookeye, thank you for those 7 wonderful posts in a row telling us how good you are. My point is, if you are a great shot, you didn't get that way overnight and with no range time.

I have shot enough that it doesn't take much to get back in the groove. I have a groove to get back into though.
    Getting that took some time I guess, but within a few shots I usually start seeing the variation of the gear/combo.

^^^^ Somewhere along the line you practiced... a lot. I'm not trying to say that everyone will lose their touch if they don't shoot often. It's just that others haven't shot enough yet to get to that point. When you are learning, you have to practice enough to drill those skills into your head. I was lucky in that I was almost always in a unit that went to the range more often than the required minimum. I got to be a fairly good shot. (I also always had my own firearms to shoot with on my time off.) I only consider myself a fair shot. Getting truly good take much time and effort.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Look, hookeye. I didn't call into question your ability to hit a deer reliably. We actually have fairly similar backgrounds for our early shooting careers. I guess I don't have any eye condition that presented an advantage to me, but from the stories related to me, I did have a lot of talent, and my father saw to it that I was supplied with as many BB's and rounds of .22 LR that I could want to shoot. He did this because he wanted to see me succeed at something I really truly loved doing, and because he didn't have the same luxury growing up. I owe him a lifetime of achievement, one shot at a time, for what he did for me...one shot at a time.

The skill set has served me well, and I don't deny that a deer's vitals are a pretty large target for me at normal hunting ranges, but I have the sense to know there was a time when I couldn't. There are those on this forum and many in this great state that know--every weekend--that I back up what I say, and I teach what I know works. I will help anybody that takes the time to listen to me honestly, and will trust me long enough to see the dividends. I in turn seek counsel from those that I see doing it better than myself, be they local, or from New South Wales.

Buddy, we can sit around and jaw at each other like rabid cats about how well we shoot, and I can back it up with as much placards and data and trophies and medals and antler inches as I should have had in a full lifetime; I assume you can do the same.

The fact will remain though:

You gave terrible advice to a the deer hunters reading this thread. ALL of them, new or experienced, young or old, me or you, could do with some more practice.

-Nate

Top Bottom