• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    After having dinner this past Monday at Bub's Burgers in Carmel (not the first time), I got to thinking about how I can never order anything but a burger there because they are so darn good!

I can't put a finger on exactly why its so good, but it is.

What would you consider to be the best burger in Indiana?

Mmmmm...Bub's Burger...that's a good burger right there. I took on the Big Ugly and won. :yesway:

bigugly.jpg

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Not sure about IN but the best burger I've had was at Toby Keith's Bar and Grille at the Harrah's in Vegas. It was artery cloggin' good.:rockwoot:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I used to eat hamburgers once a week, but cut back not too long ago for health reasons. I still enjoy a good hamburger once in a while though. I like thinner hamburgers, cooked to where there is no red or pink (med-well, or well done), and not too juicy (I prefer dry to juicy).

To me, the best hamburger I have ever had is at Charlie and Barney's in PNC/Hyatt building downtown Indy. Their hamburger meat is never frozen (so they say) and they are thin, cooked to my liking, not bone dry, and go very well with their waffle french fries. Note that not all Charlie and Barney resturants are the same. The burger I had at the other downtown Indy location didn't taste as good, nor did that location have waffle french fries. The one in Noblesville (now closed) did taste the same and they did have waffle fries. Unfortunately I don't get down there much anymore, and only ate there because I worked downtown in an office building. Might have to find street parking and hit them up again in the future.

Some other places with good burgers are:
    -Tye Dye Grill on Indy's east side (similar to Charlie and Barney's, a little more juicy though)...great french fries as well.
    -Dammon's on Indy's east side (new owners took over a few months back, have not been there since the take over. Burgers are good if cooked properly, so are their french fries.)
    -Bub's in Carmel was good. I have only eaten there twice though.
    -Five Guys Burgers are really good. I have eaten there about three or four times in the last couple of years, never had a bad burger yet.
    -I have always had good burgers at Applebee's, Chilli's, O'Charley's, etc.. I think for the most part, most of the chain sitdown resturants have decent beef.

One place that disapointed me was The Beef House off I-74 in Covington, IN. I know it is considered a steak place, but I don't eat steak. I figured if any non-chain place had an above average to great burger, it would be them. I found it OK/good. I think I wanted too much and was disappointed with something my dad could cook on the grill.

The worst hamburger ever: The vendor that runs the food service at Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park. My wife couldn't even eat her burger, it didn't even appear to be ground beef/chuck/etc. It almost looked like it could have been some meat of some kind, blended with soy, etc.. Really tasteless...if you ever go there, avoid their burgers.

One that I want to try: Weber Grill. Went there about three or four years ago and need to go back. Thing is, I can't remember if I had chicken or a burger.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The quest continues. . . .

As many folks have said already, sometimes the burger that comes off your own grill is the best.

I was down in Brown County this morning for the impromptu lovemywoods' Steel Challenge ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...mywoods_steel_challenge_pics.html#post1278613 ), and he thought we should give it a try.

We started with some ground beef, and then added shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, onion slivers, and LaRue Dillo Dust.

IMG_1148.jpg

Mom pattied them up.

IMG_1150.jpg

Then lovemywoods put them on his Green Egg to grill/smoke them.

IMG_1153.jpg

The final burger was pretty freakin' good! Because the Green Egg is also a smoker, the beef maintains a slightly pink haze. I added some American cheese, relish, tomato, and BBQ sauce.

IMG_1155.jpg

So to recap, this week alone I've tried Bubs, Shallos, and home grilled. Time to hit the gym!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Longtime In N Out fan here... yeah... I know you said in Indiana...

Five Guys gives the Double Double a run for it's money.

For those of you who haven't had a Double Double - order it Animal Style.... not on the menu, but it's the ONLY way to have a Double Double...

Can't go wrong with 5 Guys Bacon Cheeseburger either.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Working Man's Friend and Bub's are tops in Indy. Five Guys is a close second. Moe & Johnny's does a great burger (but a better tenderloin). I'd love to recommend 96th Street Steakburgers, but a bad incident that was made worse by how the manager handled it keeps me from recommending it, let alone returning.

MacNiven's on Mass Ave does a really good burger, but it is odd by US standards. Besides, it's one of the few places where you can have a burger and a glass of MacAllan 18 for a bill of under $25.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The quest continues. . . .

As many folks have said already, sometimes the burger that comes off your own grill is the best.

I was down in Brown County this morning for the impromptu lovemywoods' Steel Challenge ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...mywoods_steel_challenge_pics.html#post1278613 ), and he thought we should give it a try.

We started with some ground beef, and then added shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, onion slivers, and LaRue Dillo Dust.

IMG_1148.jpg

Mom pattied them up.

IMG_1150.jpg

Then lovemywoods put them on his Green Egg to grill/smoke them.

IMG_1153.jpg

The final burger was pretty freakin' good! Because the Green Egg is also a smoker, the beef maintains a slightly pink haze. I added some American cheese, relish, tomato, and BBQ sauce.

IMG_1155.jpg

So to recap, this week alone I've tried Bubs, Shallos, and home grilled. Time to hit the gym!

Have you ever tried Liptons onion soup added to the mix? Awesome,grilled
    But this sounds awesome too.

Top Bottom