• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Being at the right place at the right time allowed me to pick up this bottle of Eagle Rare yesterday for $40. Also splurged on the Elijah Craig store pick. Red Barrel in Mooresville is an awesome place to shop! Family owned and operated for many years. Alex is the young man working there that handles all of the store picks. He is very knowledgeable and fun to talk to.
    IMG_4143.jpeg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Of course! I’m fairly new to ryes, but love the Hard Truth Sweet Mash Rye.
    Good to know! I'm relatively new to the whiskey world. Cut my teeth on Irish whiskey, find most bourbons to be too sweet for my taste, and found that I love the spice of ryes.

Since it fits within the thread parameters: I'm currently loving WhistlePig PiggyBack 6yr rye.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Hi, all! Are rye fans welcome around here, or are we only bourbon in these parts?
    Yes Sir, all swigs are welcome here.
    Pay no attention to the click bait title too, this thread was started back in the 60s when you could buy a bottle for under $50...................and drink it while you walked uphill both ways to school.
    Cheers!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Being at the right place at the right time allowed me to pick up this bottle of Eagle Rare yesterday for $40. Also splurged on the Elijah Craig store pick. Red Barrel in Mooresville is an awesome place to shop! Family owned and operated for many years. Alex is the young man working there that handles all of the store picks. He is very knowledgeable and fun to talk to.
    View attachment 360712
    $40 Eagle Rare is a pretty darn good unheard of price these days.

It is about being at the right place and having the cash at the right time….
    IMG_6734.jpeg

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I managed to get 3 this year
    two at 79$ or so and
    one bottle at 140.00,,, it was Christmas time.

Vendor down the road wants to sell me a
    Bullet Single Barrel variety and regular Blantons for 180.00 Don’t know if I should bite?

I been a big fan of the OCEAN series.
    Very Impressed! Around 60$ for the straight and the single barrel is clocking around 60$-70$ more.
    72541367589__C33220C7-0B98-459E-9F10-CD6BB7B4FAE9.jpeg

Last edited:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    two at 79$ or so and

Bullet Single Barrel variety and regular Blantons for 180.00 Don’t know if I should bite?

Have you tasted Blanton's before? If you love it and money isn't an issue, then only you can decide if it's worth it. $180 is more than double the MSRP. Of all the bourbons I've tried, Blantons is not close to the top of the list.

two at 79$ or so and

I been a big fan of the OCEAN series.
    Very Impressed! Around 60$ for the straight and the single barrel is clocking around 60$-70$ more.
    Have you tasted Blanton's before? If you love it and money isn't an issue, then only you can decide if it's worth it. $180 is more than double the MSRP. Of all the bourbons I've tried, Blantons is not even close to the top of the list.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    $40 Eagle Rare is a pretty darn good unheard of price these days.

It is about being at the right place and having the cash at the right time….
    View attachment 361153
    It's also about relationships. Find an individually owned store. Get to know them. Buy bottles off the shelf from them, don't just go in asking for the allocated stuff. Buy their store picks. Tell them what you like and ask for recommendations. Good stores will offer to let you taste their store picks before you buy. Being a "regular" will open doors.

Top Bottom