• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Stopped off at the local liquor purveyor tonight on my way home from the fencing club looking for the new fall 2014 release of Jefferson's OCEAN. Still not there yet. But he had a set of RYE WHISKEY that I picked up. Not cheap. Not outrageous either. These are 1/2 bottles, BTW, not full 750ml but rather only 375ml bottles. It is NOT bourbon. Bourbon has to have at least 51% corn in the mash, this stuff may not have any corn? Don't know, it doesn't say. But its got plenty of rye.

imagejpg1_zpsd8262472.jpg

Broke open the "NEW CASK" tonight for a sip, poured just 1 ounce into a juice glass. No ice. Not one of my regular taste tests. Just wanted to sip a bit to see what this stuff is. What I found out was that it is a very spicy rye. Very spicy but not a whiskey that has a harsh taste or a harsh burn. In fact the burn is more of a warming glow. The peppery spice, however, tingles in your mouth long after the warmth in your belly is calmed.

This is an interesting drink. Not something I'd go to for a soothing drink, the rye's spicy character is a little too intense for that. If you like peppery drinks this might be a great choice for you. I don't dislike it. I like it. Don't love it. I'm looking forward to trying a real taste test of it, probably with the aged cask as a comparison.

Today was a good day at the liquor store for me. Found a bottle of the cask strength Makers Mark and also picked up a master distillers 2011 set from Woodford Reserve still on the shelf. If you average the price between the three bottles it was under $50 each. :) Cannot wait to get home tonight.

I would REALLY LIKE A COUPLE BOTTLES OF THE MAKERS MARK CASK STRENGTH IF ANYONE CAN HELP OUT. (Sorry all caps accident)
    found a couple sets of the woodford reserve masters collection aged cask rye and new cask rye. I bought all they had. I have had these before and was very impressed. Works out to just over $50 per 375ml bottle.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Picked up another bottle of Elijah Craig 12yr this evening. It's pretty well established itself as a regular at this point.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have not found anything better in the price range. About to finish my second bottle since I got the recommendation in this thread.

Picked up another bottle of Elijah Craig 12yr this evening. It's pretty well established itself as a regular at this point.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have not found anything better in the price range. About to finish my second bottle since I got the recommendation in this thread.
    Tried it the other night for the first time. I thought it was ok at best - didn't much care for the after taste.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Got a couple more today to try. I had to get the Jeffersons OCEAN because Melensdad talked it up so much. It was pricey at $77 total but I'm sure it will be worth it.

the second I'm very very excited about because it's almost impossible to find. I found a bottle. It's Willett 6 year. Kinda pricey at $90 total, so I hope it's worth it.
    I need help drinking all this. :):

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    77 for Ocean? I paid 100 each for 2 bottles around here :( It is very good - unique flavor.

Fenway, if we bump the 25 up 5 bucks, Eagle Rare. At 25 and lower, I'd buy the biggest bottle I could of Makers Mark.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wasn't too fond of Eagle Rare, I like the EC 12yr better. The EC12 and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are the two I go after most often and Backbone Uncut if it's priced right. I still like Evan Williams Single Barrel and Russell's Reserve but prefer the higher alcohol content of the others.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wasn't too fond of Eagle Rare, I like the EC 12yr better. The EC12 and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are the two I go after most often and Backbone Uncut if it's priced right. I still like Evan Williams Single Barrel and Russell's Reserve but prefer the higher alcohol content of the others.
    I'm looking forward to trying the Russell's reserve. Also backbone.
    Thanks for all the great reviews in this thread guys. Once I can sit down and crack open some of these ill post up some of my own. I don't drink a lot at all (just started again period) so the thing that worries me is a bottle going bad before I have a chance to drink It all. Not really 'bad' but lose potency and flavor. I'm very open to sharing if we had some sort of Indy INGO bourbon meetup.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm looking forward to trying the Russell's reserve. Also backbone.
    Thanks for all the great reviews in this thread guys. Once I can sit down and crack open some of these ill post up some of my own. I don't drink a lot at all (just started again period) so the thing that worries me is a bottle going bad before I have a chance to drink It all. Not really 'bad' but lose potency and flavor. I'm very open to sharing if we had some sort of Indy INGO bourbon meetup.

I work for IMPD and this sounds like a trap. I'm not gonna fall for it (unless you've got some Pappy's to offer). :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The bulleit rye is an amazing bourbon that I've found myself going back to night after night with almost a guilty pleasure fascination.
    it has a beautiful light caramel color. When you open the bottle and poor a splash into a glass it has a nice sweet smell. Not an overpowering alcohol smell at all that you would normal expect out of a 97 proof bourbon. Tasting it ... Hitting your lips there's a ever so slight burn and as it rolls back on your tongue there's a spicy sweet sensation and slight tingle as the alcohol sneaks up on you from such a super smooth flavor. No burn on the throat going down and no burn in your stomach.
    poored over ice it does slightly soften the slight burn. Very pleasant and a very pleasant potent sweet aroma.
    Moxed with coke is my favorite guilty pleasure. I've NEVER had such a potent (95 or 97 proof) bourbon that taste so sweet and has no gut punch. I literaly cannot taste 'alcohol' when I mix a shot in with a glass of coke on the rocks. Very pleasant and very sweet. If you like a sweet bourbon that still has potency and slight spice from the rye then I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS TO YOU! Watchout boys, just because this one doesn't bite doesn't mean it won't sneak up on you. It delivers on all fronts! Enjoy

Top Bottom