• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They've got their own everything it seems but I don't think they actually produce anything. Their undershirts are awesome but they stopped making them in black.:xmad:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Nothing new added lately.

Been busy with the high school fencing season running me ragged 6 days a week, some days are twice a day. Only day 'off' is Sunday and that is the day liquor stores are closed.

I'm always looking for something new, that is also a quality product. High on my list of things to find, however, is a humble Makers Mark product. Their new "Cask Strength" bottle, its only a 375ml bottle. I know it is available, and its supposed to be about $35 to $39, but I just cannot find it anywhere in my area. Its up at Binny's in Chicago, just don't feel like making that drive. My local shopowner is trying to get some so I guess I'll just wait.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Nothing new added lately.

Been busy with the high school fencing season running me ragged 6 days a week, some days are twice a day. Only day 'off' is Sunday and that is the day liquor stores are closed.

I'm always looking for something new, that is also a quality product. High on my list of things to find, however, is a humble Makers Mark product. Their new "Cask Strength" bottle, its only a 375ml bottle. I know it is available, and its supposed to be about $35 to $39, but I just cannot find it anywhere in my area. Its up at Binny's in Chicago, just don't feel like making that drive. My local shopowner is trying to get some so I guess I'll just wait.

Bob if there's anything you need from Binny's just let me know and I'll grab it when I'm up there.

Also, Beam is supposed to be coming out with a bottled-in-bond this spring. Interested to see how that goes. Evan Williams has had one in KY for quite some time, and released it in Indiana about a year or so ago.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Whatever route you take, I have a save your money warning: stay away from Knob Creek Maple. That is, unless you like the taste of bourbon that tastes like someone squeezed maple syrup in your glass. The after taste lingers for a long time too. It's almost like you ate pancakes while drinking.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Whatever route you take, I have a save your money warning: stay away from Knob Creek Maple. That is, unless you like the taste of bourbon that tastes like someone squeezed maple syrup in your glass. The after taste lingers for a long time too. It's almost like you ate pancakes while drinking.

Pretty much ALL of the flavored bourbons are not actually bourbon. They are vodka with a little bourbon added. Vodka is a neutral grain spirit that is cheap and easy to make, doesn't require aging. So they take some flavoring, a lot of vodka, and a little bourbon and pour it in a bottle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Back to the economy bottles (under $50). I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Signature Craft that was aged in SHERRY CASKS.

NOT A FULL REVIEW, but an initial impression.

Not really a fan of Beam branded products but this one is pretty good, and only $39 at my local shop. Its smooth sipping, very little burn, easy to enjoy neat, nice flavors.

To the nose you are first hit with alcohol, but then get a nice whiff of butter scotch sweetness.

The front of the mouth taste is actually fairly unremarkable, it goes past the front of your tongue without making much impact, very little 'tingle' from the alcohol, but when it hits the back of your mouth and sides of your tongue and its not like a normal bourbon flavor, you get that SHERRY flavor mixed with bourbon. I suspect that some people, bourbon purists perhaps, will hate this. I rather liked it. It finished warm, not hot, and the finish lingered in your mouth, for the most part, in a pleasant way. There is a bit of ascerbic sensation that is not overly pleasant but it goes away quickly and unless you dwell upon it it can be ignored.

Not something I'd want every day, but I could enjoy it from time to time.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Sampling some Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection Barrel Strength at the moment, the "OESK" variety (one of 10 recipes according to the tag on the bottle neck.)

It's tasting notes are spicy, full body. Lots of cinnamon and vanilla, balanced sweetness. Smooth for a barrel strength offering at 59.9% alcohol. Great stuff, highly recommend.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I haven't read through the entire thread so I'll apologize if it's been covered already. Picked up a bottle of Kirkland's Small Batchl today and for $21 it's a pretty nice pour.
    E82F7DD7-FC5C-4E04-BBBC-3FC69BE5576B_zpsklxm4rr8.jpg

Picked up a bottle today to try out. While sampling the free stuff at Costco a guy came up and asked if I have had it yet and how good he thought it was for the price. We just became costco members about a week ago, but their Kirkland stuff is pretty good from what we have had so far. I expect this to be pretty good at the very least.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Picked up a bottle today to try out. While sampling the free stuff at Costco a guy came up and asked if I have had it yet and how good he thought it was for the price. We just became costco members about a week ago, but their Kirkland stuff is pretty good from what we have had so far. I expect this to be pretty good at the very least.

Jim Beam 2.0. Check out the address.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    There is a link a page or 2 back. I tasted the stuff. Carmel spice and smokey flavor. Spice comes out in a somewhat long of a finish. I'll say its ok\good but will stick with makers and eagle rare. This is not the worst by any means or even close to bad just not what I'm looking for.
    A

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Found some:
    20150207_130056_zpsfefuaofv.jpg

They had 2 on display ~$35.00ish I only bought one and debating on going back to get the other since I rarely open a harder to find bottle unless I have a second one.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    [video=youtube;3e4KJR7Uaio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL-ovRSdXcAqbwDwW78biJvrIArdWax0sH&v=3e4KJR7Uaio#t=12 0[/video]

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Found some:

They had 2 on display ~$35.00ish I only bought one and debating on going back to get the other since I rarely open a harder to find bottle unless I have a second one.

I've been looking for the cask strength Makers (casually, not hunting for it.) How is it?

Top Bottom