• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    True. The gun is unnecessarily complicated. Even the manual suggests "tapping" it with a hammer. Out of the box, count on some good hammering. A steel pick or at least a paperclip is needed just to get started. The swivel pin in the back of the grip is a doozie to manipulate. I can hear someone grunting already: the MkIII (MkII too) has a cult following. Many guys walk proud because they COULD take it down and reassemble. Besides, it is an elegant gun. It has a pedigree. But it will not outshoot the mundane Beretta Neon or the Browning Buckmark - much more practical single-action target pistol. Question is, do you want to buy into the whole romance of the Ruger, or have a less demanding user-friendly pistol. You decide. ::Going into hiding::

The MKIII is a PIA to take down, mostly because some sadist decided it would be fun to make you keep putting the magazine in and taking it out as part of the procedure. Other than that, it's just not as bad as it's made to sound above. First time or two you take a brand new one down, you might need to tap it with a mallet. After that, I've always been able to get the receiver off just by smacking it with the palm of my hand. I've never needed a paper clipor anything, just used my fingernail. Once I figured out how to do it (and it does take doing it a couple times) I've never had a problem reassembling it. Two minutes tops, half that for the MKII, to take down, same to reassemble. Takes twice as long for Sean's MKIII because I still have to read the manual to figure out the frigging magazine dance.

I do find both the MKII and MKIII 5 1/2" Target models to be MUCH more accurate than the Neos, and a little more accurate than the Buckmark. No more reliable than either, though, since all three have worked very well indeed for us.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I feel like a broken record:

Don't let anyone here convince you of what to get. Don't spend your hard earned money on something a group of random strangers TOLD you to buy.

Instead, go to a gun shop and look at the many models available from reputable manufacturers: Ruger, Walther, S&W, and Sig all offer multiple models which may shooters love and enjoy. Handle all of these guns and shoot as many of them as possible. Once you know which of these guns fit you and your preferences best, do some research to narrow your search. THEN buy what you have found to be the best for YOU.

Of course a person ultimately should only buy what's best for him/her and only after much research and handling. Maybe throwing a question out in a thread might be a initial step in their search ?

One example is what happened recently to my wife and I. We had worked a few months putting a list together . She has shot MY guns for 15 years, but now wanted to go the route of picking one out herself. To make a long story short, she ended up picking a Kahr CW9 that only was added to our " must look at " list because of threads like this and A fine INGO member we met at the range. My wife had never heard of Kahr, and I was under the impression ( wrongly ) they were $800.00 guns and all had polygonal rifling. It definately would not of been one she would of looked at if our process didn't include reading opinions on here.

I can give countless other examples that threads like this has given me new sources to buy reloading supplies from.

There can be much value to a thread like this and many more on this site if the info is used properly. Again, your last statement is 100% correct. I just think the average intelligence here is high enough most can weed thru the bs and pick out the valuable info. Just my :twocents: .

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Ruger MKIII 22/45. I shot about 300 rounds through mine right out of the box (Federal bulk pack from Wally World) and didn't have any problems. Accurate and fed very nicely. No FTF or misfeeds in 300 rounds. I'd watch the video below though before you try to strip it to clean it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo"]YouTube - Ruger MK III 22/45 Fieldstrip ( disassemble & reassemble )[/ame]

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you really want him to be the talk of the range, get him a Margolin target pistol. Be sure to make the muzzle attachment.

In the early scenes of A New Hope and in a few scenes in Return Of The Jedi, Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) can be seen with a Defender Sporting Blaster, actually a Vostok Margolin .22 LR Target Pistol, with some muzzle attachment fitted. In the early scenes of A New Hope and in a few scenes in Return Of The Jedi, Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) can be seen with a Defender Sporting Blaster, actually a Vostok Margolin .22 LR Target Pistol, with some muzzle attachment fitted.

margolin.jpg

My Margolin.

margolin1uc5.jpg

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I can't risk my fingernails or fingertips stripping a pistol cause my job depends on them, thus I hate pieces of machinery that want an ounce of flesh and love pieces like the SiG with a dull name Mosquito that I actually look forward to cleaning. But who cares.

Margolin! Where in the world did you get it? The pistol was designed in the 50s by a blind Soviet engineer. My guess is it was sold in .22 LR as an Olympic competition gun. I read somewhere that it is different but how, can't remember.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The MKIII is a PIA to take down, mostly because some sadist decided it would be fun to make you keep putting the magazine in and taking it out as part of the procedure. Other than that, it's just not as bad as it's made to sound above. First time or two you take a brand new one down, you might need to tap it with a mallet. After that, I've always been able to get the receiver off just by smacking it with the palm of my hand. I've never needed a paper clipor anything, just used my fingernail. Once I figured out how to do it (and it does take doing it a couple times) I've never had a problem reassembling it. Two minutes tops, half that for the MKII, to take down, same to reassemble. Takes twice as long for Sean's MKIII because I still have to read the manual to figure out the frigging magazine dance.

I do find both the MKII and MKIII 5 1/2" Target models to be MUCH more accurate than the Neos, and a little more accurate than the Buckmark. No more reliable than either, though, since all three have worked very well indeed for us.
    I have an OLD Ruger Std. Model, and a 22/45, Mk III, and I love them both, it took me 3-4 times, on the 22/45, to get it right, but now, no prob.....

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruger Mark II

Get a Ruger Mark II with a heavy barrel. They're fun, affordable and better for steel competitions than Mark III's.

kturner100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    SE Indiana
    I have the Walther P22, used to have the Ruger Mk2 (Model 512 I think - it had the heavy barrel. For a pistol for plinking - even though I have a P22 I would vote for the Ruger - maybe the 22/45 model. Otherwise if revolvers are also considered, I think the advice for a .22 revolver from S&W and Ruger is even better. Loading .22 clips is a pain sometimes and a swing-out revolver cylinder might be preferable.

The P22 I have has the extended barrel with a weight. It is well made and economical to buy, but I don't like the magazine disconnect and that the manual safety does not drop the hammer (blocks firing pin). I'm not sure if all current P22's are this way, mine was one the the first when it was introduced. It lacks the sight radius of the Ruger also.

If cost were not an object, I think the Beretta 87 would be another good choice but I've never owned it - it's reputation is very good.

Good luck

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    BuckMarkContour22LR.jpg

This was with my Browning Buck Mark Contour. It was using both hands (no other support) at 10 yds with 10 rounds. It can shoot better had the shooter not been a bit shaky.

400px-BrowningBuckmarkContour.jpg

Bad News is the factory is 13 months behind on production so finding one is difficult. I had to get mine through a dealer in Illinois and paid about $30 more than I would have liked. I got mine from G.A.T. Guns G.A.T. Guns - GUNS - ARCHERY - TACKLE - INDOOR RANGE They may have a couple left.

They are now using loctite red on the hex screws on the rail (some complained the screws would loosen over time - well, I guarantee they won't now!). Even after heating them up with a torch, the screws bent the hell out of an allen wrench and broke a Craftsman bit! I finally got them all out but called Browning and had all three screws replaced. You need a 3/32" hex and a 7/64" hex for the barrel.

Good News is that it is very much like the grip on my 1911 and is grippy with the URX grips.

The takedown is easier than a Ruger if the screws are not loctited!

Some of the parts are just below the rubber grips so be careful not to lose anything the first time you take it down until you are familiar with the pistol.

I did a Heggis flip and the trigger pull is at 1.9 lbs!!! Great for target shooting. 400 rds shot and no hiccups even with cheap Winchester Bulk Packs.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    If you really just want to plink, poke holes, flip cans - I've had a lot of fun with my friend's Chiappa 1911-22. Never never never had an issue with it handling any kind of ammo either. Come to think of it, that's probably a big part of why it's so much fun.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The best for me has just become the GSG1911. This is a real 1911 for all intents and purposes and shares most of its parts with any standard 1911, with the exception of the fixed barrel and slide of course.

It is my favorite .22 plinker because I can now practice with super cheap ammunition and not lose the feel of my favorite shooters, my 1911 .45's.

My new top plinker:
    mygsg1911.jpg

Top Bottom