• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I just went to the range yesterday and shot my new Ruger 22/45. I purchased two months ago and just now got to shoot it. I love it!! I shot it better than my 1911 and M&P from a rest at 25 yards. I could not believe the accuracy. I ended up putting the M&P and 1911 back in the truck and shot the Ruger for two hours straight.
    I took a box of mixed ammo I have collected over the years. hollow points, three or four different brands,even a few my Marlin 22 rifle did not like, and it took em all flawlessly. I loaded whatever came out of the box next.
    It did really well with some Federal hollow points, another shooter gave to me at the range. His gun was not shooting them well. Mine loved them. Thanks if you are out there!! They are gone now though.
    I could not have been more impressed with the function, reliability and the groups I shot.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hard to go wrong with a Ruger Mark III target model. It's cheaper than the P22, more reliable, and more accurate. My son recently chose this, with 5 1/2" barrel, as his first handgun, and it's every bit as good as the similar Mark II I owned many moons ago. I also owned a Browning Buckmark at the same time, and it was also excellent, but I preferred the Ruger by a hair. Sean liked the Buckmark in our store a little better, but it exceeded the budget limitations we'd imposed on him. The 22/45 is less than $300 brand spanking new.

Yeah, takedown isn't as easy as some, but neither is it rocket surgery. Biggest pain is the need with the MKIIIs to keep putting the magazines in and out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One that I did not see mentioned is the Heritage Rough Rider. It's cheap and fun to shoot. I have both a P22 and the Rough Rider revolver and it's a toss up as to which is more fun to plink with. The P22 can be finicky with ammo until well broken in, but the revolver did not have a single issue from round one. The Rough Rider is a scaled down SAA and is simply fun to shoot. I paid $159 new for mine with both a 22lr cylinder and a 22WMR cylinder.

The P22 is one of the family favorites to shoot right now, but for the first 500 rounds, it really only liked the CCI Mini-Mags. Now it will shoot pretty much anything, but that's only after a good break in.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a Ruger mk1 that I inherited, a Ruger 22/45 the first model, and a p-22. I will say with out a doubt the walther gets shot way more than the others. I have four kids ages range from 7 to 16 and they all love the walther. It fits my 7 year olds hand as well as it does mine. I won't say it's better than the rugers, I believe they will be passed on for generations. The walther is just plain fun to shoot! Hope you have as much fun as we have with whatever you choose.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    From a shooter's old laptop

Ruger Mark III is probably the coolest-looking of the bunch. If that matters, knowing it to be issued to Navy Seals will make you feel even better. It has a narrow metal grip and a short trigger reach, suitable for smaller hands. The grip angle favors target accuracy, with the exception of the 22/45 variety. It is all-steel *** alloy, pleasantly heavy, with low perceived recoil. It is also a Royal PITA to field-strip and an Imperial one to reassemble, especially when new. Such is the design plus the tight tolerances. You will need a tool or at least a paperclip just to get started, then a punch and probably a rubber mallet. Ruger aficionados will always tell you it's a joy, and apply some kindly peer pressure to help you realize that you are a baby or a weenie who needs to learn the real man's gun. As long as you are comfortable not being a Navy Seal, the money and therefore the choice is yours.

Browning Buckmark is every bit as accurate, almost as good-looking (bull barrel is standard), and easy to clean (you will still need a hex wrench). The grips tend to be wider than Ruger's. You can have a companion Buckmark rifle with a pistol grip that operates the same way as the pistol.

Beretta Neon
    is a purposefully built target pistol with the sharpest grip angle. It looks very un-tactical but in my hands was the most accurate. It can be converted to a carbine with a Beretta factory kit (the Buckmark carbine is a separate entity), thereby saving you money if you want a companion long gun. It is also the least expensive of the bunch. It is plasticky.

Sig Mosquito is a well-rounded 22. It looks all business, the grip is just right (glove size 8), offers double/single action and, for a little more money, a factory threaded barrel tip. No tools required for cleaning. It is my choice but not necessarily yours - stand up to peer pressure!

Walther P22 has the warthog good looks and a loyal following. It is sold well below MSRP. It can also be had with a threaded barrel. For reassembly keep the supplied guide rod handy. It packs as much plastic as the Neon.

Beretta Bobcat and Taurus PT22 are small pistols for small hands. If you are a male of average stature, there are better plinking choices.

I know less about revolvers. Shot a S&W ten-pack midsize wheelgun - it was okay, I just failed to see the point. Perhaps you will. The best you can do to spend your money on a 22 wisely is renting every gun on you short list. It is typically just over 10 bucks a piece plus the ammo that is still cheap. :twocents:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    One that I did not see mentioned is the Heritage Rough Rider. It's cheap and fun to shoot. I have both a P22 and the Rough Rider revolver and it's a toss up as to which is more fun to plink with. The P22 can be finicky with ammo until well broken in, but the revolver did not have a single issue from round one. The Rough Rider is a scaled down SAA and is simply fun to shoot. I paid $159 new for mine with both a 22lr cylinder and a 22WMR cylinder.

The P22 is one of the family favorites to shoot right now, but for the first 500 rounds, it really only liked the CCI Mini-Mags. Now it will shoot pretty much anything, but that's only after a good break in.
    I have one of these, I bought it at Bradis, on sale, I love to shoot it !!!!!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    A tip on reassy. if you choose a Ruger. Hold the gun sideways ( as if laying on a table), barrel slightly lowered with the backstrap in good,strong light. The hammer strut will be less likely to swing low/high this way. After doing it twice it will take less than one cuss free minute.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll second that!

Ruger Single Six.
    The single six, by Ruger is a great gun for a young one. Everyone that shoots mine loves it, plus it comes with the .22 magnum cylinder, so you can get him used to a little more recoil when the time comes. Since it is single action it naturally teaches marksmanship becase you have to cock it each time and re-aim more deliberately. If your sone is older, say in his teens then a semi-aut would work fine. For a younger shooter the recoil of a 22 semi-auto may be just barely too much for him to shoot accurately, and he may loose interest. I also agree that a 10/22, or a Marlin mod 60 rifle is and excelent choice. At 25 yards the kid couldn't hardly miss and he'll have a more enjoyable experience. :ingo:

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Man, what great insight from everyone who contributed! I really appreciate it! That is what this forum is all about. Now I have absolutely no idea what to do! HA!

krn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Downtown
    haha, its a tough choice. no matter what we recommend, it comes down to your preference. do you want a accurate .22 or have a good time shooting .22? any of the mentioned .22's will be a good choice. have fun deciding!!!

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I recenlty took my daughters out to shoot for the first time. I wanted to focus on the basics to start - safety, lining up the sights, trigger control, breathing, etc. My feelings are that it is easiet for them (and for me to teach it) if we started with revolvers and bolt action rifles. Once they got used to recoil and the mechanics of aiming, we moved up to semi-autos.

We began learning on my own first revolver, a Ruger single six (and my daughter loved to see the fire spit out when we shot the .22 mags.!)

Our first long gun was a Savage bolt. But just about any .22 bolt action should work great.

Out next outing we moved up to the semi-autos; a Browning Buckmark and Ruger 10/22.

I loved seeing the list of all the options, but my suggestion would be to start with a sa or sa/da revolver and a bolt rifle to teach the basics, and then move up. Now my daughters better understand how the different models function, but they like shooting the semi-autos the best.

---
    GB!
    ---

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I picked up a Beretta U22 yesterday at Bradis based on the recommendations from a shooting buddy. Looking foward to taking it out to the range. The price can't be beat and the pistol is easy to field strip and clean.

GlockChick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    Frankfort
    We just bought a used Ruger Mark III 22/45 last week, and we've had so much fun already! It's very accurate. It just takes a little getting used to going from my Glock 19 to the Ruger. A little kick to no kick at all. Fun!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    it comes down to your preference. do you want a accurate .22 or have a good time shooting .22? any of the mentioned .22's will be a good choice. have fun deciding!!!

I find the Walther P22 a blast to shoot, but the Ruger Mk II or III to be much more accurate.

I have never owned the Buckmark, but have always heard great things about them also.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

I agree with the RR comments. I love mine. :yesway: Shot a friends and had to have one, it's fun and never a single problem. A terrific choice for the price.

Now I'm in the market for the P22. Feel that I need both the revolver and the semi-auto both for plinking...

Top Bottom