• ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Walther P22

Lots of fun to shoot, looks cool, feels cool. Unless you are a fan of metal frames, then maybe look at a Ruger Mark series, or 22/45.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I like the Ruger Mark 3 pistol target 5 & 1/2, fun to shoot, but a real pain to take down and clean. Was at the NWI shoot and meet a few weeks back and was showing a members mother how to shoot the pistol and hit the target dead center the first time she fired the pistol at the 25 yard range. Can't ask for a better pistol endorsement than that.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Can't go wrong with Ruger Mk 2 or 3. Walther P22 is cheaply made, the zinc slide will crack after 10k rounds. If you have the money CZ Kadet is the ultimate. Sig makes .22 conversion kits for most of their pistols that are nice.

Bottom line is, Ruger 10/22 for rifle plinker for $200, and Ruger Mk 2 or 3 for pistol plinker for $300 are hard to beat. Buy the proven and tested by millions, these have been around for a long time.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have a Ruger 22/45 and will add that they are reliable even with bulk ammo, need no break-in and will rarely,if ever have a failure. 2000 rds thru my recently purchased pistol and no failures of any sort yet. Slabside model can be had NIB for around $250.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm in the same boat you are, and RimfireCentral is probably the place to look on the net for lots of opinions (you know, they're like a$$sholes, everyone has one). Many swear by the S&W 41, but that's quite expensive. I am leaning toward the Browning Buck Mark URX 5.5 Standard, or possibly the Contour to use an optic in the future. Considering getting one and doing a Heggis Trigger Flip - BuckMark trigger work - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I have fired 2 different Ruger 22/45's (Mark III I think), one which was literally putting 3/8" 10 rd groups on the target at 8-10 yds off-hand, and another which was not nearly as good (a Mark II) at 3/4" groups. The Mark II was a pain in the rear to takedown until I finally started to understand how it operated - a first time owner can expect a bad headache, but after that it really isn't that bad.

Last edited:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I know you said pistol but he Ruger 10-22 is an AWESOME plinker! Even better with a can on it.

The .22lr's can be very picky about ammo. It's pretty easy to find what works and stick with it.

In my basic courses I use Walther P-22's (they love Federal Bulk!) Taurus model 94's (9 shot revolver) and a Sig Mosquito. The model 94's are great little revolvers! The P-22's get about 10,000 rounds put through them a year and we have yet to replace one (although we have added) and we have not had any of the "cracked slide" issues above. As they get dirty, (Like 3 or 4 classes between cleaning depending on schedule) they start to have FTF and ejection problems, but I don't mind. There's no better way to teach the handling of a misfire and the tap/rack first instant action. The P22 and the Sig both come pre threaded for can use.

The Sig is a little bigger than the P-22 and again, keeping it clean is the key.

One other really neat .22 rifle was the Marlin Papoose. It breaks down into a small case and is a cinch to put together. I had one for bush flying years ago.

The CZ 75 Kadet pistol mentioned above will run you about $600-$700 new. They were first introduced in 1975.

We have P22's in stock, blue or Nickel slide. See our web site for details.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You don't say how old your son is. I took my grandsons (ages 9 and 11) to the range this week. We shot a S&W model 63 kit gun. It is accurate, a great size for ladies and kids and is light weight. I loaded one round at a time and taught them how to index. The wifey, "Nana", even got in on the act. We had a great time.

secretsather

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Nothing compares to a Savage MkII target rifle; this thing can easily chew the center out of a target at 50 yards using iron sights without hitting any of the surrounding area.

People say I'm a good shot, I tell them, "it's not me, it's the gun!"

krn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Downtown
    and to the OP. maybe you can go try a few .22's out before you make your final decision. i would have loved to try different .22's before buying the p22 but its still a blast to shoot.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Ruger Single Six.

This. ^^^ It was the first gun I ever fired as a kid with my dad. It was passed on to me and it is still one of my favorite guns to shoot. Plus, with the extra cylinder you have the option to shoot magnums, .22 short or long. Super simple handgun to learn with and dead accurate. Never have to worry about FTE"s either.:D

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    For a pistol you can't go wrong with a Ruger 22/45 (or probably any other Ruger). I've also had great luck with a Pheonix .22 for an economical plinker. For a rifle their are lots of choices. Ruger & Savage are very good. My son and I really enjoy our GSG5L. Have fun!

Top Bottom