Beretta Px4 vs. XD40 vs. M&P 40. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    I'm going to situate myself with a CC gun here soon, and was looking for some insight, maybe you guys can shed some light.

Looking at all three above guns in the sub-compact style. I'm a smaller guy, so I need something halfway small to be able to conceal it.

I've looked at all said weapons, and all feel great in my hand, but have yet to fire either one. So, what can you guys tell me about each one? I've read a ton of reviews online, but I hold what this board has to say to a different standard, since you guys seem to really be with it.

The only real difference I see, is the M&P has the XD and Beretta beat in the weight dept. (21oz. compared to 26oz.), and the Beretta is SA/DA, as opposed to the M&P and XD being DA only. They're all fairly similar in price, or at least close enough.

The Beretta has a serious lack of holsters compared to the other two, but since there's a Supertuck made for it, I think I'd be ok if I chose that route.

I've narrowed it down to 3, help me narrow it down to one, INGO! :yesway:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    of those three the one I would purchase is the M&P.

I like that the PX4 is a different mechanism than the typical Browning, but I moved to a Glock from the HK P30 because It wasn't easy to get holsters, mag carriers, mags.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would have to say thaty my nod goes to the m&p, I've shot the Beretta and the XD's, the double/single on the Ber doesn't do much for me, controlling the first shot from the long heavy DA is a skill that takes a of time and rounds to master, In the scheme of things so you ever want a shot that you know may not be your best shot, and we can scenario that whole argument to death and the fact is your first shot will not be as accurate as your following shot

The XD is not a bad pistol, but in all fairness Even Springfield can't settle on what it wants the XD to be, The grip safety has its own arguments which I don't really think is needed, The accuracy and reliability of the XD's I've shot are good
    Now for my pet
    I've owned a M&P in 40 for about a year now, have to say for the type of firearm it is it's Super accurate, I've personally put around 4k rounds through mine and had one fail to go into battery and that was during a training class that was 1400 rounds in 3 days and at the time bullet lube was oozing up through the slide and chamber area, just goes to show you clean every 1k rounds if your shooting lead that was over lubed, (the over lube situation has been taken care of).

Local smiths can clean up the trigger on the smith you don't need to send it off somewhere with a Taticook (sic) name

there's my 2 cents,

Remember on this one Opinions are like rearends, everybody's got one and each one has its own odor

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If it were me (and I realize it's not, so YMMV), I would first knock out the PX4 due to its DA/SA setup. I prefer the same trigger pull on each and every shot. Also, this will be the toughest to outfit with holsters, mags, sights, etc.

Next I would eliminate the XD. Although this does solve the "holsters, mags, sights" issue, and the "same trigger pull" issue, it is equipped with a superfluous grip safety.

That would leave my choice with the M&P. Good aftermarket support, same trigger pull, no manual safeties. :yesway: (this would also apply to a Glock)

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I would go with the M&P. Lots of custom work available and I have heard very little about trouble with these. I have 2 currently, full size 9 and compact .40.

If you let us know where you live someone might be able to let you shoot one or more of these to help you decide.

Buckaroo

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    have to say for the type of firearm it is it's Super accurate,

I'd say! Here is x10 taking top honors with his M&P as he hits the red steel plate (hanging off the target stand just in front of the pins) at "who knows how far :dunno:" distance!

4163724119_a1309b28a9_o.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...82-mdfi_in_indiana_ysintg_12-5-09_aars-2.html

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    The wife has the PX4. She loves it but I absolutely hate it. I don't like the trigger, I don't like the sight picture over top. There is just nothing I find redeeming about it. Like I said though she likes the way it shoots better than others.

I have the SA XD40sc. I would highly recommend it. For me it shoots well, it carries concealed pretty well in my crossbreed holster. I am not even aware of the grip safety so I don't see that as an issue. Of course I carried a 1911a1 before so it seems normal to me.

Never shot the M&P so I won't comment on a firearm that I haven't used. (I know. That's kind of wacky isn't it?)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I carry an M&P .40c sometimes and love it. Great little gun... accurate, reliable and fairly easy to find accessories for.

I wouldn't rule out the XD, but I like the way the M&P feels in my hand better (used to own an XD as well).

The whole DA/SA thing on the Beretta could be a factor, depending on how well you shoot with that heavy, long pull on the first shot.

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Lots of good input/opinions here, fellas!

Just curious, what do you fellas have against the grip safety on the XD? I shoot a 1911 on a regular basis, so I'm kinda used to that sorta thing.

And for those asking, I live in West Harrison. Closer to Cincinnati, OH than anything.

Mosin09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    While I'm a die hard XD fan I wouldn't use one for a concealed carry. They are really wide, and heavy for carry. I would go with the M&P.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Lots of good input/opinions here, fellas!

Just curious, what do you fellas have against the grip safety on the XD? I shoot a 1911 on a regular basis, so I'm kinda used to that sorta thing.

And for those asking, I live in West Harrison. Closer to Cincinnati, OH than anything.

Most of us Don't have too much AGAINST a grip safety, its just its one more mechanical failure point that doesn't serve much of a purpose and it can cause you problems if the right scenario of very improper grip due to events beyond our control.

We have to be careful not to scenario ourselves into walking around with a gun in both hands in a full suit of armor :laugh:

If an XD is your thing then do it but really XD needs to drop the grip safety, and I've seen more than one 1911 disable itself because of the grip safety, especially the older one without the "memory pad"

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just curious, what do you fellas have against the grip safety on the XD?

I agree with the fellas quoted below.

its just its one more mechanical failure point that doesn't serve much of a purpose and it can cause you problems if the right scenario of very improper grip due to events beyond our control.

The unnecessary grip safety, which locks up the slide if not fully depressed, is also a strike against the XD, in my book. Grip safeties are an unnecessary potential point of failure.

Unnecessary
    is the key word here. Why potentially hinder yourself (even if the potential is very small) with something that offers no real benefit in return? (assuming you abide by the 4 rules)

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    I have been considering the 9mm as well. I'm still kinda tossing around the caliber. Just figured I'd ask about the gun first. That extra capacity sure is appealing.

Top Bottom