Beretta Px4 vs. XD40 vs. M&P 40. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Not to hijack or disparage, but how much more accuracy could you get out of a match barrel for the M&P, every one I've seen shoots pretty good,

Just curios

Good question. My MP9 stock gun is freaky accurate. More accurate than my CZs or 1911s. I keep trying to find a gun that I like better but alway end up going back to my MP9. I just ordered another from CDNN ($449).

I have yet to talk to someone that put a match barrel in.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Haven't seen any XD bashing yet. They are generally reliable and accurate. Trigger pull is pretty good. I, and many others, don't care for the grip safety, nor see a need for it. That's just a preference, backed up by the facts attendant to how it operates. They are a bit heavy and blocky to some people, and the "subcompacts" are a bit tall for an actual subcompact.

Maybe this helps:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Height: 4.3"
    Width: 1.2"
    Overall Length: 6.7"
    Weight: 27 oz. loaded
    Barrel Length: 3.5"
    Capacity: 12+1

Springfield XD9 SC
    Height: 4.75"
    Width: 1.2"
    Overall Length: 6.3"
    Weight: 31.7 oz. loaded
    Capacity: 13+1

Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9mm
    Height: 4.8"
    Width: 1.4"
    Overall Length: 6.2"
    Weight: 31.8 oz. loaded
    Barrel Length: 3"
    Capacity: 13+1

Source: http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

I was simply stating to the op, to not count out the Xd because of the grip safety. Because of all the OMG Xd's have a grip safety.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Hi kingnereli! I just wanted to wish you and Hillary Clinton a very Merry Christmas, as you sit at the table over a hearty meal of tofu and broccoli, and discuss yet more safety devices to keep us yokels from shooting our big toes off.

I'm sure that Hillary knows how to design a safe gun much better than John Browning, who never would have included a grip safety on the famed 1911 if it weren't for these wise bureaucrats keeping us safe from ourselves. (Thank God for them!) Since Col. Jeff Cooper, the father of modern pistolcraft (who also thought grip safeties were unnecessary) has passed away, perhaps I'll seek a tactical handgun course from Sen. Charles Shumer or maybe Rosie O'Donnell. At least lunch will be AWESOME at Rosie's All-Day 3 Gun Match & Diversity Seminar. I mean....look at her! :)

I am, however, having trouble finding a 1911 equipped with a Hillary Hole key lock, magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, stamped warning on the slide (WARNING - DO NOT FIRE, EVER), trigger lock, 18 lb. trigger, wrist safety strap, side airbags and draw-activated LED warning lamps fore and aft. Maybe I'll give up and just take my M&P. I'll wear my bulletproof vest, since it doesn't have one of those grip thingies that keeps pistols from running around and shooting people on their own.

:D

Reps for cracking me up. Hillary Hole key lock, side air bags and draw-activated LED warning lamps fore and aft were my personal favorites.
    :laugh:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Poor guy asks an opinion about 3 guns and gets a dissertation on Hillary's hole

I think you've see what people think, from me reading the posts
    alot of people are over the 1970's Single Action/Double action thing, While the Beretta is a fine firearm Firearms Technology has left SA/DA behind,

Same statement generally apply's to the XD's grip safety, while usable and of arguable application it has its detractors

So that leaves us your other choice the M&P which is a new kid on the block has had the advantage of modern engineering and the designers looked at what kind of gun was popular with the selfdefense crowd and said MMMMM how do we fix the things people hate about the glock, They said lets make it fit the hand, have a safe firing mechanism and a consistent trigger pull and you have the latest line from smith,

We knew some Glock guy and some 1911 guy were going to chime in but that wasn't the question put to us,

With the group of guys I know from this forum if you want to fire anyones firearm and are willing to go to them you will be able to shoot it. besides the off the subject ditherings it looks like there are plenty of shooters using all 3 of your choices, you would be well served by each of the firearms you've posed to us,

one of the factors that have to be included is how much your going to practice and learn good gun handling skills, This is my opinion the old school of thought was that if a self defense situation hits your going to be pumped up and things like the grip safety and long DA pull would help you because your going to NEED to get a good grip on your gun and you will not have the Tactile dexterity that you normally have, that's a whole other discussion,

The m&P comes out of the hole ready if you were pumped and have not trained enough its possible bad things could happen

Here we come back to a mantra you will hear/read on this forum you will only be as good as your training, NOW that doesn't mean you have to drop dime and travel to the latest gee wizz gun guru, it means you get out to the range and be honest with yourself (THE HARDEST)

In my opinion Hunters have a huge advantage over your regular joe, shooting under stress and with the chemical's pumped into you is different than backyard shooting, Not all hunters are good shots, thats a shame, not all good shots are good hunters, "Buck Fever" is a real thing, its a pump of adrenaline that is hard to shoot though, some of the Gee Wizz trainers use methods to simulate this, Another factor that I think is important is shooting in competition its got some of the same elements as Gee wizz training and hunting, You have to perform at the sound of the buzzer, the real world doesn't let you pick your shot, you have to deal with things not perfect and even something as benign as bullseye shooting makes you perform on demand, I think it is a rare person who can be honest with themselves when their on the range alone, its too easy for us to say oops that was just a bad shot that won't happen when xxxxx happens,

There my 2 cents PLus, when you ask people's opinions your going to get them, good chance that peoples opinions are as strong as a suicide bombers opinions and trying to disagree with them is met with great resistance.

Get something you like, Get something you will be proud of, get something you trust, stay away from junk, buy practice ammo and use it. NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY BE ABLE TO HIT WITH IT. sorry for the yelling but I've stood next to the guy on the line defending his junk gun that he can't hit with more times than I can count

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    18973_219726218442_588943442_3245505_2166781_n.jpg

That should answer what I went with.

Bottom line: The XD fits my hand better. Period. Can't wait to shoot this thing!

Thanks to evilelmo for pointing me to D&G Gun Shop. EXCELLENT customer service, damn good pricing, and I was able to hold both pistols I wanted to buy in my hand before I bought them to compare. I'll definitely be back for more!

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Just so you know (if you already don't), I believe he said mid-January they were moving to the old Bright Florists spot, next to Knigga's Barber shop. That ought to give them all the street exposure they'll need to turn them into a truly thriving shop!

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think you made a good choice and will be happy with it. Other than my EMP 40 my XD40sc is my most accurate short barrel pistol. Also if your looking at getting a holster may I suggest looking at the DM Bullard Dual Carry. I find it a lot more comfortable and versatile than my Crossbreed Super Tuck.

Top Bottom