Beretta Px4 vs. XD40 vs. M&P 40. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a Beretta PX4 in 9mm and really am happy with it. With practice I have had no problem mastering the long double action pull. Firing single action is a dream. It has been 100% trouble free over right at a thousand rounds fired by my daughter and myself and is more accurate than I can shoot which make me look and feel good with it.

That said, I recommend against the .40 S&W version as it has been known to have trigger issues.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The XD40sc got shortchanged on capacity. It's thicker and heavier than the M&P with no greater capacity worth considering. IMHO in 9mm the extra capacity makes the XD a good choice.

You can't go wrong with either the XD or the M&P. My advice would be pick the one that feels best in your hand. Personally I don't even notice the grip safety and have no problems with it. My wife loves the XDs too. She liked my 45 so much we bought her a 9sc.

If you want to handle them both D&G Gun Shop on State Line Rd. in Bright has both an M&Pc and the XDsc in both 9 and 40 in stock as of yesterday.

BTW I'm in West Harrison too, off of Henderson Rd. Whereabouts are you located?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I really like my px4 (9mm)...the DA pull is quite heavy but very smooth, I have to try to pull my first shot. The SA breaks great and the guns are extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY, accurate for a 3incher. I personally like the feel of the the m&p's in my hand a little better, just something about that gun I really like. And Ive never shot the XD sub-compact.
    I guess If you put a gun to my head I would go with the M&P, but really, to me it's a coin flip between that and the beretta

Speed Kills

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    The XD40sc got shortchanged on capacity. It's thicker and heavier than the M&P with no greater capacity worth considering. IMHO in 9mm the extra capacity makes the XD a good choice.

You can't go wrong with either the XD or the M&P. My advice would be pick the one that feels best in your hand. Personally I don't even notice the grip safety and have no problems with it. My wife loves the XDs too. She liked my 45 so much we bought her a 9sc.

If you want to handle them both D&G Gun Shop on State Line Rd. in Bright has both an M&Pc and the XDsc in both 9 and 40 in stock as of yesterday.

BTW I'm in West Harrison too, off of Henderson Rd. Whereabouts are you located?

I'll be. I didn't know there was a gun shop on state line. and the fact they have 2/3 of the guns I'm looking at is awesome. Where exactly on State Line is it?

I go back and forth between my parent's house on 52 (the one with the giant horse barn) and my girlfriend's house in Harrison. Chances are, if you've been driving in Harrison/Bright/Lawrenceburg at all, you've seen my lowered black dually running around.

Funny story, an ex girlfriend lived back on henderson when we were dating. I believe her dad still does!

O/T, Indykid, are you the same indykid from indycarz?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    op

I have been considering the 9mm as well. I'm still kinda tossing around the caliber. Just figured I'd ask about the gun first. That extra capacity sure is appealing.

I looked into whether or not a 40 top end will work on a 9c frame and it appears that the 9 and 40 frames are identical. Midway or Brownells had top halfs for around 250 bucks so if you bought a few mags you could run both out of the same frame.

I have owned a m&p 9c and 45c and absolutely love both.

Best,

Joe

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Bring on the Xd bashing. Which was well expected. I have shot both the m&p, and the Xd. They are both great guns. Reliable and accurate. Do not let the fact that the Xd has a grip safety, keep you from buying it. I have no experience with the PX4 storm, but have heard good things about them. You need to buy what fits you best. Because that's all that matters. I have not priced mags for all three, but Xd does have some of the better priced mags.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'll be. I didn't know there was a gun shop on state line. and the fact they have 2/3 of the guns I'm looking at is awesome. Where exactly on State Line is it?

It's in the strip with the Shell gas station between Jameson and North Dearborn, at least until next month. He's moving in January (I think) to the old Renck's general store building at the corner of State Line & Salt Fork. He'll be right next to the barber shop.

D & G Gun Shop

24486 State Line Road, Lawrenceburg, IN
    (812) 637-9999‎

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I use my M&P9 for daily carry...

IMG_0548.jpg

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    You can get away with shooting 9mm out of a .40 even cheaper than that. There are conversion barrels that are drop-in that will work for the M&P models, they are about $125 or so, I think....

If you wanted to switch from 40 to 9mm for defensive work, however, I would buy the entire top end and not just the conversion barrel. The conversion barrel would just be for range use, for me.

Storm Lake makes match grade conversion barrels. You can also get them pre-threaded. Less than $150 last time I checked.

I have 2000+ rounds through my M&P .40 without any major issues. Feeds anything and everything I have run through it. Ergonomics are great.

I have shot a PX4SC. It's a really nice shooter, but not really comparing apples to apples since it was a sub-compact. Very smooth operating. Ergonomics are nice. Seemed a little heavy to me. DA didn't do much for me. Never fired an XD, but they definitely feel great in the hand.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Bring on the Xd bashing. Which was well expected. I have shot both the m&p, and the Xd. They are both great guns. Reliable and accurate. Do not let the fact that the Xd has a grip safety, keep you from buying it. I have no experience with the PX4 storm, but have heard good things about them. You need to buy what fits you best. Because that's all that matters. I have not priced mags for all three, but Xd does have some of the better priced mags.

You cant forget that grip safeties will get you killed.:rolleyes: Safety features are completely unnecessary.:n00b:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Storm Lake makes match grade conversion barrels. You can also get them pre-threaded. Less than $150 last time I checked.

I have 2000+ rounds through my M&P .40 without any major issues. Feeds anything and everything I have run through it. Ergonomics are great.

I have shot a PX4SC. It's a really nice shooter, but not really comparing apples to apples since it was a sub-compact. Very smooth operating. Ergonomics are nice. Seemed a little heavy to me. DA didn't do much for me. Never fired an XD, but they definitely feel great in the hand.

Not to hijack or disparage, but how much more accuracy could you get out of a match barrel for the M&P, every one I've seen shoots pretty good,

Just curios

Top Bottom