Benchmade just stepped in it with both feet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thanks guys. Actaeon you crack me up.
    I think its pretty clear that most people who support the 2nd amendment also support law enforcement and the military. I try to always say thank you to cops I see out and about. And its sincere and I dont do it for show or expecting favors. Little things i think to boost these guys moral is good. One day recently i was in arbys and a table of local cops and maybe a couple impd were at a table in the back. I had the cashier send over some turnovers for them (as i headed out the door, no thanks needed) i just wanted to do something small and nice for them but I didn't wat any recognition for it, and that's not why I'm saying it here. Also i have emailed departments when ive seen good things cops have done. I do support LEO's and strongly support rule of law, but I would NEVER participate in destroying a legal firearm or a business like this that did. Steel mills, much different at least to me. I guess maybe it shouldn't be seen as different. I dont even think it could be possible to boycott steel. Hell, I'd have to stop buying guns too. But maybe a letter to those businesses is the right thing I can do. Better than doing nothing. Just like writing our elected officials, it's our duty as good citizens I believe.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    For a lot of gun owners, Benchmade will not get their money any more, myself included.

Will it be significant enough to cause the company to make some changes?

I doubt it, but I hope so.

I also hope other companies in the knife industry would take notes.

Benchmade produces good knives, so do others. I like it when I have choices.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For a lot of gun owners, Benchmade will not get their money any more, myself included.

Will it be significant enough to cause the company to make some changes?

I doubt it, but I hope so.

I also hope other companies in the knife industry would take notes.

Benchmade produces good knives, so do others. I like it when I have choices.

We might be surprised. Dicks Sporting Goods probably had the same thought, before they gut punched in the balance sheet.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    We might be surprised. Dicks Sporting Goods probably had the same thought, before they gut punched in the balance sheet.

Dicks is a dealer which has a much larger clientele and much bigger margin on clothing/shoes/golf clubs than guns.

Patriotic gun owners may not shop there any more but there are plenty of soccer moms buy overpriced NorthFace jackets.

I just don't see many LGS stop selling BM knives.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's a shame. I've just in recent years warmed to Benchmade blades.

Cutting up the guns to assist LEO's IMHO is no big thing. It's just steel, more guns are made every day. If the people of Oregon choose to elect officials that waste time, labor and money destroying guns, that is their prerogative.

Benchmade letting that get publicized and pointing to their funding of our enemies, different story. How long would Benchmade have gone funding the enemy of the 2A if this ordeal had not been publicized?

I hope Benchmade feels the pain of their actions and that gets publicized also.

Maybe they'll make a monumental effort to stay in business with the gun owners of America? I hope so.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    It's a shame. I've just in recent years warmed to Benchmade blades.

Cutting up the guns to assist LEO's IMHO is no big thing. It's just steel, more guns are made every day. If the people of Oregon choose to elect officials that waste time, labor and money destroying guns, that is their prerogative.

Benchmade letting that get publicized and pointing to their funding of our enemies, different story. How long would Benchmade have gone funding the enemy of the 2A if this ordeal had not been publicized?

I hope Benchmade feels the pain of their actions and that gets publicized also.

Maybe they'll make a monumental effort to stay in business with the gun owners of America? I hope so.

What about those firearms that aren't produced anymore, only a few were made, those that have a historical or a high monetary value attached.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about those firearms that aren't produced anymore, only a few were made, those that have a historical or a high monetary value attached.

Personally, I think the PD should auction them. As opposed to costing the PD all the money it does to destroy them, they could be funding policing needs; bodycams, blow out kits, defibulators, Narcan, etc.

I'm not in Oregon though. Those people choose police actions in Oregon as we do in Indiana.

This is a good time to bring up the liberal mentality of the areas in which people live. If Benchmade were in Indiana, do you think that at least one on their staff would have thought that cutting op those guns could be a negative for their company?

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There’s a theory in one of the Facebook groups I’m in. On Surefire, maybe they donate money to both sides in order to keep government contracts.

A small theory on Benchmade, they donate to both sides in order to stay in business. A small theory though.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    There’s a theory in one of the Facebook groups I’m in. On Surefire, maybe they donate money to both sides in order to keep government contracts.

A small theory on Benchmade, they donate to both sides in order to stay in business. A small theory though.

Here's an excerpt of a Recoilweb.com interview with Benchmade's Director of Marketing Matt Elliott:

R: Can you explain the political contributions listed on OpenSecrets.org that have been circulating social media?
    ME: Oregon is a hotbed of knife makers, but also is a heavily Democrat-leaning state making most of the politicians with an interest in introducing legislation that is pro-knife often Democratic. When the donations were made to pro-knife politicians, it was about knife rights.
    Gun owners are protected when traveling through states by the Firearm Owners Protection act; knife owners don’t enjoy that kind of protection. The Interstate Transport Act was a very important piece of legislation that Benchmade has been working to get passed for over five years, alongside the American Knife and Tool Institute.
    This bill had co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle. The effort requires bi-partisan support and we need to ensure we are reaching across the aisle and bringing both parties to the table. I don’t think most people are aware of how serious the penalties can be for certain types of knives in certain states, though less now than in the past, and it is the knife companies that have to carry the torch, as these issues generally have very low visibility.

The link for the entire interview is here:

https://www.recoilweb.com/benchmade-anti-gun-we-ask-them-to-explain-147462.html

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Here's an excerpt of a Recoilweb.com interview with Benchmade's Director of Marketing Matt Elliott:

R: Can you explain the political contributions listed on OpenSecrets.org that have been circulating social media?
    ME: Oregon is a hotbed of knife makers, but also is a heavily Democrat-leaning state making most of the politicians with an interest in introducing legislation that is pro-knife often Democratic. When the donations were made to pro-knife politicians, it was about knife rights.
    Gun owners are protected when traveling through states by the Firearm Owners Protection act; knife owners don’t enjoy that kind of protection. The Interstate Transport Act was a very important piece of legislation that Benchmade has been working to get passed for over five years, alongside the American Knife and Tool Institute.
    This bill had co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle. The effort requires bi-partisan support and we need to ensure we are reaching across the aisle and bringing both parties to the table. I don’t think most people are aware of how serious the penalties can be for certain types of knives in certain states, though less now than in the past, and it is the knife companies that have to carry the torch, as these issues generally have very low visibility.

The link for the entire interview is here:

https://www.recoilweb.com/benchmade-anti-gun-we-ask-them-to-explain-147462.html

You had me at - Recoilweb.com

They are already on my list of Anti-2nd Amendment companies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Did Benchmade join them on the list?

I don't know yet. I don't own a Benchmade but that shouldn't matter. I don't like any company killing guns no matter what those guns did in a past life. At the very least you could strip them of their valuable parts that with some guns we as collectors just can't get anymore. It sickens me to the core to see guns chopped up in any way so for it to get out like this was the dagger into their heart for sure.

Why they let those pictures run is beyond me.

I doubt they will recover from this. :(

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well today my folding knife broke it was a faithful one I paid $9.99 at TSC.
    Where should I spend my nickels ?
    Buy a Benchmade at Dick’s ?
    I guess if I get another China knife it would be neutral in the fight?

BTW
    I have started a Facebook campaign boycotting Attorneys !

Top Bottom