Benchmade just stepped in it with both feet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen in the last few pages. You really think recycled firearms have the slightest bit of impact or effect on steel production? Do you understand how ludicrous it is to state that “melted down guns” somehow impact steel production. Wake up dude. The US produces like 90 million tons of steel annually. Melted down firearms have virtually no impact on that.

I'm aware of how much steel is produced.
    I'm presently in a steel mill, been here for 13 hours.
    The amount of steel, or the amount of guns, has NOTHING to do with that.
    People are upset with Benchmade.
    So they want to show their displeasure by boycotting.
    Well, if they believe that, then they must also boycott other companies that destroy firearms for the government.
    Steel Mills destroy firearms for the government.
    Therefore, in order not to be hypocritical, steel Mills must be boycotted.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you need to read what he wrote again. Nowhere in that statement did he say the steel the mills get from guns has an impact. He merely stated that since the steel mills melt down firearms, you’d need to boycott their products... which would be virtually impossible.

He is correct that our steel mills melt down firearms for police departments.

Thanks.
    I should have read a little further down before giving my explanation.
    You stated what I was saying.

If you are mad at company A for destroying firearms, then the same should apply to company B.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There's a difference here...to me anyway. Steel companies and auto companies are not in the arms making and selling business. BM is. We know there are those companies and individuals out there that will, with little prompting, gladly destroy guns. That's a different gripe all together than "one of your own" doing it. Above, the CEO espouses his belief in the 2A. He does, probably...as long as it's his version of it. Hopefully he'll see the light, if enough heat is applied.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just from a practical stand point to, gun owners can't affect the steel industry, they might be able to affect these small companies.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Just from a practical stand point to, gun owners can't affect the steel industry, they might be able to affect these small companies.

Good point. If the purpose of a boycott is to "send a message" then a message to a steel mill (if one could even discern what mill their steel was produced in) by a few thousand gun owners would probably not even be heard.

Unlike a message from a few thousand gun owners to a small knife company, which was heard very quickly.

Probably not many gun owners are direct purchasers from steel mills anyway.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    There's a difference here...to me anyway. Steel companies and auto companies are not in the arms making and selling business. BM is. We know there are those companies and individuals out there that will, with little prompting, gladly destroy guns. That's a different gripe all together than "one of your own" doing it. Above, the CEO espouses his belief in the 2A. He does, probably...as long as it's his version of it. Hopefully he'll see the light, if enough heat is applied.

/|\ THIS /|\

Their products are protected by the same 2nd Amendment that protects gun ownership, yet they have no issues participating in the destruction of (lacking any evidence to the contrary) functional guns... donating $1 MILL to anti-gun politicians... and never once mentioned support for the civilian gun community in their "we support the 2nd Amendment" responses to this matter.

Benchmade is either COMPLETELY tone deaf when it comes to the civilian gun community... or they do not see them, meaning us, as a priority customer.

Benchmade needs to get their act together... after the guns are gone they WILL come for the knives. Maybe when BM is grinding up their own knives for OCPD they will finally realize the significance of the the second amendment.

For those gun owners who find no issue at all with what Benchmade is doing... we have a name for you, Elmer.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    /|\ THIS /|\

Their products are protected by the same 2nd Amendment that protects gun ownership, yet they have no issues participating in the destruction of (lacking any evidence to the contrary) functional guns... donating $1 MILL to anti-gun politicians... and never once mentioned support for the civilian gun community in their "we support the 2nd Amendment" responses to this matter.

Benchmade is either COMPLETELY tone deaf when it comes to the civilian gun community... or they do not see them, meaning us, as a priority customer.

Benchmade needs to get their act together... after the guns are gone they WILL come for the knives. Maybe when BM is grinding up their own knives for OCPD they will finally realize the significance of the the second amendment.

For those gun owners who find no issue at all with what Benchmade is doing... we have a name for you, Elmer.

Nice argument.
    Name calling.

And what do you call people that want to do an easy boycott, but not another because it's too hard?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If company A is to be boycotted because they destroyed guns, then company B should also be boycotted.
    To say there aren't enough guns being destroyed as a percentage of product, or that gun owners would have less of an effect, are merely excuses.
    And someone that says my boycott is okay, but yours isnt, would actually be the Elmer.
    At best.
    At worst.. picking on someone because they are weak, but not someone else because they are strong, is bullying.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just saw this on Twitter.

CONFIRMED: Benchmade Knives @BenchmadeKnives will be on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio show Sunday, Feb. 24, at 2:10pm EASTERN. This show is live. To find stations which stream the show: guntalk.com/gun-talk-radio Please RT.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If company A is to be boycotted because they destroyed guns, then company B should also be boycotted.
    To say there aren't enough guns being destroyed as a percentage of product, or that gun owners would have less of an effect, are merely excuses.
    And someone that says my boycott is okay, but yours isnt, would actually be the Elmer.
    At best.
    At worst.. picking on someone because they are weak, but not someone else because they are strong, is bullying.

But, have you researched which politicians the steel mill’s employees donate toward??? You have not, sir...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    For the record, I DO appreciate and respect TT and everyone else’s passion on this subject. That is absolutely not my issue, and I’m glad guys like him are on our side. :ingo:

Top Bottom