• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    You left me hanging. Are you in the mood for sharing your recipes? Please?

BTW My wife is a pharmacist and she recommends vinegar for "pork butt" as well.....:D

sure no problem. this is my personal vinegar sauce I use on my BBQ. its real simple and doesn't overpower the meat.

1 cup- cider vinegar
    2 tbs.- sugar
    1 tbs.- dry mustard
    1 tsp.- crushed red pepper flakes(or more to your liking)
    1 tsp.- fine sea salt
    1 tsp.- black pepper
    1/2 tsp.- celery salt

put all of the ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. then bottle it up! I use the squeeze bottles from wal-mart for $.97.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    A friend of mine in southern Indiana uses Grape Jelly. No joke. He adds it to any cheap store brand BBQ sauce (about two big spoons per 12 oz. Mix thoroughly) and puts it on the meat (chicken, ribs, burgie....doesn't matter) about 5 minutes before he takes it off the grill. You have to watch it and not put it on too soon or it will 'flame up'. My kids LOVE it! Have to admit, I do too.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    A friend of mine in southern Indiana uses Grape Jelly. No joke. He adds it to any cheap store brand BBQ sauce (about two big spoons per 12 oz. Mix thoroughly) and puts it on the meat (chicken, ribs, burgie....doesn't matter) about 5 minutes before he takes it off the grill. You have to watch it and not put it on too soon or it will 'flame up'. My kids LOVE it! Have to admit, I do too.
    The wife has put jelly in baked beans before, but I believe we have blackberry jelly.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Take your open pit and pour it in a sauce pan then add 1 cup diced sweet onion and pour in 1/2 a beer (I drink what's left some one hadda do it !) then simmer until it thickens a little and baste on cooked meat. oh. now that I told ya my secret I gotta grill ya. Try it

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    There is a place in my homeland called Piggy Park. I am here to tell you they know pigs!

This is their sauce recipe -
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar, light
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Whisk together and simmer for about 5 minutes. You should cook this the night before.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Piggy Park BBQ Sauce serves/makes 1.5 cups

If you decide to go the easy route, click here and you can just buy it premade and shipped to your door.

Welcome to Maurice's Gourmet BBQ

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have over 200, what style are you into?

I'm into good tasting ribs.:):

I'm open to pretty much anything...If you wanted to just give me a few of your favorites from different styles I could just go from there.

I'd also like to know more about your Memphis sauce.:D

Thanks bro, it greatly appreciated.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well unfortunately I can't divulge the memphis sauce as I still use it sometimes in contests.(sorry old BBQ habit) but I can give you a good rib rub.

1 generous cup of of packed light brown sugar

1 tbs.- sweet hungarian paprika
    1 tbs.- dry mustard
    1 tbs.- onion salt
    1 tbs,- celery salt
    1 tbs.- chile seasoning(not chile powder)
    1 tbs.- season salt
    1 tbs.- black pepper

just combine the ingredients, and better yet put in a coffee grinder and grind it up. and make sure you take the membrane off of the back of the ribs before the rub. also make sure you rub the ribs 24 hours in advance so the spices can soak in to the meat.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    well unfortunately I can't divulge the memphis sauce as I still use it sometimes in contests.(sorry old BBQ habit) but I can give you a good rib rub.

1 tbs.- dry mustard
    1 tbs.- onion salt
    1 tbs,- celery salt
    1 tbs.- season salt
    1 tbs.- black pepper

just combine the ingredients, and better yet put in a coffee grinder and grind it up. and make sure you take the membrane off of the back of the ribs before the rub. also make sure you rub the ribs 24 hours in advance so the spices can soak in to the meat.

Even if I promise not to enter the same contest as you...Or any contest for that matter?:dunno:

:):

Thanks for the dry rub recipe...I plan on making a little sampler platter of new recipes I've been meaning to try out. I'll definitely give that one a try tomorrow.

Edit: Two more questions.

1. Where the heck to I get sweet Hungarian paprika?

2. What flavor of wood best suits that rub?

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Even if I promise not to enter the same contest as you...Or any contest for that matter?:dunno:

:):

Thanks for the dry rub recipe...I plan on making a little sampler platter of new recipes I've been meaning to try out. I'll definitely give that one a try tomorrow.

Edit: Two more questions.

1. Where the heck to I get sweet Hungarian paprika?

2. What flavor of wood best suits that rub?

you should be able to find the sweet paprika at most decent grocery stores. and I use a mixture of oak and hickory for most meats.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    There is a place in my homeland called Piggy Park. I am here to tell you they know pigs!

This is their sauce recipe -
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar, light
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Whisk together and simmer for about 5 minutes. You should cook this the night before.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Piggy Park BBQ Sauce serves/makes 1.5 cups

If you decide to go the easy route, click here and you can just buy it premade and shipped to your door.

Welcome to Maurice's Gourmet BBQ

I have ate at a Maurices before . Mustard sauce didn't do to much for me.

Had a pulled pork with slaw on it some other place. It was awesome.
    I think it was in Mt. Pilot, NC.

One of my favorite sauces. I order it by the gallon:

Welcome to Curley's BBQ Web Site!

Wish I had kept a list of all the BBQ joints I have stoped at. It would have several hundred listings.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

1 tbs.- dry mustard
    1 tbs.- onion salt
    1 tbs,- celery salt
    1 tbs.- season salt
    1 tbs.- black pepper

Tyler, I know you are the master and who am I to question you but here goes.....Do you find that with all the salt in your rub that it draws a lot of the moisture out of meat? I have noticed when I use a lot of salt that the pan is full of juice after the rub has been on the ribs for a while. Just wondered what your fix for this is or if you had noticed. I'll hang up and wait for your answer.....

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Tyler, I know you are the master and who am I to question you but here goes.....Do you find that with all the salt in your rub that it draws a lot of the moisture out of meat? I have noticed when I use a lot of salt that the pan is full of juice after the rub has been on the ribs for a while. Just wondered what your fix for this is or if you had noticed. I'll hang up and wait for your answer.....

Almost anything I grill/smoke I lightly coat with extra virgin olive oil before seasoning and that usually helps.

At the same time, I'm mainly a steak guy and I wouldn't touch any salt but Kosher salt with a ten foot pole...Anything else dries the meat out, while Kosher salt just makes for a nice, delicious crust.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

honestly its never been an issue for me. you brine meats with salt so... but smoke is moisture and your drip pan has liquid in it, plus when smoking your at 225 degrees so not a real high dry heat. and you should always have a baste or mop anyways, I baste my ribs every 30 minutes after the first four hours in an apple cider mixture. also most store bought meats these days have water added to them.:twocents:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For a dry rub I use to mix my own and still do occasionally but the Weber Classic rub is just about identical the rub my family has used for years...easier to just buy it. My mom's family has used this sauce recipe for years, great if you like sweet...I prefer vinegar tho...

3/4 cup ketchup
    3/4 maple syrup (real maple, not Mrs Butterworth)
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 teaspoon onion salt
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    salt and pepper to taste

put it all in a bowl and mix well

rub...
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon "hot" paprika
    1 teaspoon pure chile powder
    2 teaspoon turbino sugar
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground fennel

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Tyler, How 'bout cooking times for ribs. I started with the 3-2-1 method but found the ribs were way too loose on the bone. I have since switched to a 2-1-1 and they seem to be finishing better. Do I need the tin foil time or should I eliminate it completely and just depend on basting instead? Thanks.

Top Bottom