• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And the putz who sells that crap... :rolleyes:

I agree with that. :D Glocks that come back from "certain armorers" going full auto at the range are NG no good. :noway:

I think the following are rather stupid (maybe not bad, but pretty useless):
    Backplates with Punisher or flame logos (WTF? Get a tattoo if you really want to be hardcore, any nitwit can slather their Glock in crap).
    Compensators on extended barrels on compact Glocks (cant handle the recoil, get a larger frame, cmon, seriously?!)
    Carrying "concealed" with Fobus holsters (honestly, there are better holsters that will actually conceal the gun, no problem with them though if open carrying)
    The NY trigger (Why? I am going to reduce my accuracy and speed when it matters b/c I cannot trust my holster or my trigger finger)
    Extended controls/takedown nubs (yeah, he said nubs! :D I honestly do not see the point. I always slingshot the slide, so extended controls mean nothing to me)
    Polishing barrels and feed ramps (on Glocks, honestly? If anything, the overzealous polisher just added even more tolerance, but not good tolerance)
    Lasers (three letters: M E H, Meh!)

And probably the stupidest of it all:
    Raising the value of the gun due to the above: Folks honestly think a gun is worth more because of a little fu-fu they add on to the gun. Robar coatings add value. Wilson or Jarvis barrels add value. Extra barrels from Lone Wolf add value.

But, Ghost connectors and other junk dont in my mind. If the average shooter who got suckered into paying 50 extra bucks for a cheap connector already added in knew of how easy it is to install and how cheap the part is, I think they would pass paying more. Shiny trinkets and professional sounding parts will always fool the ill advised.

Mods I think are good:
    polishing factory connector with jeweler's rouge (awesome pull, reduces percieved pull and makes it smoother, while keeping it legal for GSSF, or so I am told)
    Metal sights or night sights (the factory plastic plain stinks IMHO)
    Ammo and training (always the truth to the matter)
    Proper holster
    Lots of mags (KCI ones, hit or miss. One either gets a good one or bad one, the good ones I have had are flawless)

:D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This, although I can see it being useful at the range its still a bad idea in my mind.

ATAFA.com: Glock Cocking Handle-Blk by Mako Group

VAL-2175015.jpg

did you just give me an excuse to post....

why, yes you did

YouTube - Jessie Abbate competing at the 2009 Bianci Cup

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Oh forgot one: From working at the GSSF matches, I think the single worst modification are the dumb scope mounts for red dots that popped up. When shooters ran through ALL of their reshoots after three rounds fired each time, each round. The shells always hung up on it, usually when the round was fired and the casing went up instead of directly to the side. A lowered ejection port may help, but still. The shooters would get mad when we could not afford them anymore reshoots (after blowing through them) but when we told them to visit the armorer (pretty much code word for nice mod silly! :D ), they got really mad. Didnt happen with the really high power competition folks (usually sponsored by the mount makers), though their guns usually had the lowered ejection cut.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think the following are rather stupid
    The NY trigger (Why? I am going to reduce my accuracy and speed when it matters b/c I cannot trust my holster or my trigger finger)

:D

I prefer the NY trigger due to it's more forceful reset. Doesn't negatively affect my speed or accuracy but that may be because I'm used to shooting with 8lb triggers. I put the NY grey springs in all four of mine after shooting the standard "S" spring against the NY's. Some like it, some don't but I haven't found it to be detrimental.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I prefer the NY trigger due to it's more forceful reset. Doesn't negatively affect my speed or accuracy but that may be because I'm used to shooting with 8lb triggers. I put the NY grey springs in all four of mine after shooting the standard "S" spring against the NY's. Some like it, some don't but I haven't found it to be detrimental.

I never could get used to the NY in my old duty gun. I tried and tried. Speed was OK, but accuracy stunk. Maybe it was mental??? ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nah, like everything else it just takes time. I find the NY trigger is more consistent through the pull and doesn't "stack" like the "S" springs. It's all personal preference, as long as they're going where you want them, when you want them to, it doesn't really matter what you're running.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Carrying "concealed" with Fobus holsters (honestly, there are better holsters that will actually conceal the gun, no problem with them though if open carrying)
    Extended controls
    Well, I agree with all but these three. I actually like Fobus holsters for concealment, as my paddle honestly is the most comfortable out of my OWB holsters. I wouldn't use it for open carry as the mechanism is not beefy. The NY-1 trigger coupled with a 3.5lb connector (I like Scherer), provides a more even pull, with about the same weight as factory, and it replaces one of the few Glock weak spots; the trigger spring. Although I am good with the factory slide catch, the magazine catch is too short from the factory. A Vickers Tactical is shorter then the extended catch, but provides a much easier mag change than factory. All of my holsters work fine with the Vickers Catch. Of course, YMMV, but now my G23 is "perfection".

Top Bottom