• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    He did that TV lawyer thing - a barrage of questions in a tone meant to intimidate and unravel the defendant, giving little or no time for answer. I would define it as hostile.

If your lawyer just sits there like a lump of pooh when that happens you let them blather until they run out of wind and while you collect your thoughts.

Then when they run out of wind and start asking if you are going to answer, ask them which one? I thought we were going to trade places and you were doing the testifying. The jury or judge either one will forget everything he said and recognise it for what it is. Irrelevant badgering.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Congrats. Glad it worked out. Time to talk to a "good" lawyer and see if you have a case for malicious prosecution or something similar. May as well try to cover your time and expenses on this fiasco.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Liberty Sanders has earned great amounts of respect from me over this.

The Carmel precedent is terrific. Like the opening argument said, that we don't want to demonstrate to the public that you have to shoot to kill in order to be legal in self-defense. :rockwoot:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Technically, I'm pretty sure the Judge said that the cops are required to "give a warning."

Yeah, it is a term of IC 35-41-3-3 that a LEO using deadly force to effect an arrest or prevent an escape pursuant the its authorization give warning if feasible.

However, even if a feasible warning is not given the LEO may still be protected if he falls within the general self-defense statute 35-41-3-2.

Best,

Joe

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Several consequences from having witnessed this:

By spending the time and money involved in following through, Liberty Sanders has helped set a precedent in Carmel. This is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very cool.

I'm MUCH more certain that I'll not speak to cops, regardless how innocuous it seems at the time. They are NOT my friends. "Am I being detained? Am I free to go? I request to speak to my lawyer."

for sure and yes it is awesome!

very glad you now realize this. as a "whole" cops arent your friends while they are investigating you. the training they receive is to entrap you with plays on words disguised as innocent questions. Even field sobriety testing is nothing but a ruse. I know not ALL cops do it, but its best not to take the chance. its your right and in your best interest to remain silent when being questioned by ANY agent of the government at any level. they wont answer questions without their lawyers and neither should we.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Congrats. Glad it worked out. Time to talk to a "good" lawyer and see if you have a case for malicious prosecution or something similar. May as well try to cover your time and expenses on this fiasco.

You'll NEVER come out money ahead on that. Best to cut your losses while it still feels like a win.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I do have a good deal of respect for the Judge. He let everyone say their piece, but he really whittled thru the crap at the end.

Yep, kudos to the judge. He was a no-nonsense kind of guy.

His lawyer should have let him ramble on about that and then ask for the supporting evidence. Instructors? Manual? Written Code of Conduct? Any thing other than the prosecutors current dream world? And TV dramas?

Yeah, I mentioned to Henktermaat that I was surprised that the judge didn't interject at some point, even if LS's own lawyer didn't. If it's not applicable to law in any way, it's a waste of time But I guess that's not the judge's role.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    very glad you now realize this. as a "whole" cops arent your friends while they are investigating you. the training they receive is to entrap you with plays on words disguised as innocent questions. Even field sobriety testing is nothing but a ruse. I know not ALL cops do it, but its best not to take the chance. its your right and in your best interest to remain silent when being questioned by ANY agent of the government at ant level. they wont answer questions without their lawyers and neither should we.

I've certainly seen enough discussions and videos to that effect, but seeing this really helped it sink in: Someone who's not only innocent, but whose actions made his neighborhood safer... and yet was still [strike]prosecuted[/strike] persecuted... well, that's the real deal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Congrats on your victory LS! And thank you for having the fortitude and going to the expense and time of successfully defending yourself. This has been a pathetic example of a waste of resources for the CPD to pursue this incident further. The prosecutor should seek a different line of work if he pursues this type of action.

A rep doesn't adequately cover what you did today Liberty but that's all I've got.

Here's to you and your strong 'Stachefu!

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I haven't been following this as closely as some other members but CONGRATS on a not guilty plea and THANK YOU for seeing this through

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Congratulations LS. And, if any of the judge's staff are reading this, tell your boss thank you for doing his job right.
    As for Carmel's prosecutor and or CPD, my travel/monetary embargo of Carmel is pretty much permanent now. I'll take my freedom and my money AROUND your little police state until respect for citizens' rights comes back into vogue there.

Top Bottom